Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do rankings really matter after the first tier?  (Read 3235 times)

mrizzle

• Gin. It's what's for dinner.
    • View Profile
Re: Do rankings really matter after the first tier?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 04:18:26 PM »
Thomas Jefferson was more of a backup for me. As far as Chapman v Whittier, I like the fact that Chapman is located on a University Campus (albeit a small one), has a huge endowment, and is making a major push to climb in the rankings.

I like Cal Western, but love Chapman.

If you are looking to practice in CA, go to a school in CA. That advice has been drummed into my head, especially by 2 graduates from Syracuse. They loved the school, but advised me to basically study where I practice.

hope that helps
Will be attending: Chapman

yes: syracuse, Chapman (11k), Whittier (11k), Cal Western, Thomas Jefferson (14k)

take a hike: catholic, UNLV, USD

Wait List: depaul, southwestern

BeesKnees

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 10:54:58 PM »
I know i sound like a broken record, but go where you want to live/work.

I applied to both Suffolk and Syracuse, and i am attending Syracuse. I am not set in stone where i want to work, but i would be happy in upstate NY and i am not interested in NYC.

I have not been to the admit days (I am currently on a working holiday in New Zealand) but i visited the school shortly before i left (end of February - very cold and snowy) and really liked it.

Since, both my mom and I ( i know, i know, but there is a big time difference, and sometimes its a lot easier for her to call) have been in touch with the director of admissions and she has been really helpful.  She returns my emails the next day and is very pleasant dealing with uptight future law students.

But at the end of the day, follow your gut instinct, because i am sure i am not the only one who along this whole process has received heaps of advice, but ultimately its you that goes.  Yes, the job prospects are most likely better in the region you go to school in, but thats not to say that going elsewhere is impossible.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2005, 11:53:29 PM »
Chapman is still in the cards for me as well. The go to school where you want to live thing makes me keep considering them.

However UHLC, though in TX is high tier 2 and it will cost me significantly less to attend than Chapman. On top of it, I would still have to struggle to pay rent if I went to Chapman. Going to UHLC, I can buy a house and end up with under $30k in LS debt. So I've come to the conclusion that even if it takes me a while to find a job in CA (if I even want to come back), I will have the freedom to pick what I want. . . I'm also counting on the fact that I'm working for a big name firm in CA to help get my foot back in the door.

So I'd say, unless the school is solidly in the top 100 and will cost significantly less, go to the school in the area you'd like to practice. No difference really between T3 and T4 if both are in the area you'd like to work.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 12:00:52 AM »
Rankings don't mean anything outside of the top 14, I guess you could argue top 20.  After that its all regional, you go to the best school were you want to work. 

I agree with the top 20 maybe pushing 25 (although that would be a stretch) - from there on, they're all regional, although the higher ranked prob have bigger regions

Higher ranked also have better interviews, more respect and (the supposed reason for the better ranking) a better education.

BAFF213

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2005, 11:43:32 PM »
I'm most likely going to be attending Suffolk starting in August.

The location is great.  It's right downtown, across from the Boston Common and the State House.  The facilities are by far the nicest I've seen at any of the law schools that I've visited (I visited five schools).  Anything else you want to know?

What did everyone decide about Suffolk?  I've been wanting to add a Boston school to my list as a safety and I admit I hadn't even heard of Suffolk until now.  Is it in a good part of Boston?  If anyone can share some info I'd appreciate it. 

Candide!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yoda, kickin butt as a 1L gunner!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ktjordan78
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2005, 12:41:11 AM »
What did everyone decide about Suffolk?  I've been wanting to add a Boston school to my list as a safety and I admit I hadn't even heard of Suffolk until now.  Is it in a good part of Boston?  If anyone can share some info I'd appreciate it. 

this link should provide some hard proof that outside of the top 20 or so schools rankings start to mean less and more or less regional schools are reletively comparable...

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,34127.0.html

Loyola (Los Angeles) '08

BAFF213

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2005, 03:18:48 AM »
That's cool.  I've been bummed after checking out a few other schools in big cities.  I'd rather not wear a bulletproof vest to class.

Boston is a safe city, and Suffolk's location is safe as well.  No need for a bulletproof vest...

Have they offered you any money?

Nope - just loans.  I might try to get some money out of them in about a month, after they receive my Spring semester grades.  I'm not sure how realistic this is, since they've probably given out all their scholarship/merit money, but I think it may be worth a try.  However, I'm taking the LSAT next week, and it could potentially give me some leverage in asking for money next month as well (IF I do well).

Do you know if they offer housing?

Nope.  There's plenty of housing in and around Boston though...