Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do rankings really matter after the first tier?  (Read 3166 times)

mrizzle

• Gin. It's what's for dinner.
    • View Profile
Re: Do rankings really matter after the first tier?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 12:59:58 PM »
I am in a similar position.

I am from the west coast and plan on practicing in southern california, in at both chapman and syracuse.

Saying no to a top 100 school is hard, but when 2 syracuse graduates and virtually every law student from other schools that I have spoken with have told me to study where I want to practice, it is looking like Chapman is where I will end up.

Moreover, Chapman grads at a 67% passage rate on the CA bar this previous July, where only 4 of 21 syracuse grads passed the CA bar.

Hope that helps and keep us informed.
Will be attending: Chapman

yes: syracuse, Chapman (11k), Whittier (11k), Cal Western, Thomas Jefferson (14k)

take a hike: catholic, UNLV, USD

Wait List: depaul, southwestern

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 04:12:17 PM »
nuizzle,

Did you or are you going to attend Syracuse's admit days?  I did on april 1 and they said that California their number 1 feeder schools outside the area.  I live in California about ten minutes from Chapman.  I think it will become a good school in the future but I was concerned about course offerings and competition with many other Ca schools.  The campus is nice.

mrizzle

• Gin. It's what's for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 05:26:46 PM »
i didn't attend the syracuse admit day becuase I just received my acceptance last week and flying back there was simply not going to be in the cards.

While I certainly wish I had not screwed around my freshman year and been able to get into loyola, I am more than happy with chapman.

Nearly every attorney or law school student (ie people who know what the hell is going on) have all said to go to the best school that you can in the region where you want to practice.

That is not to put down Syracuse in anyway.

This has been an agonizing decision and my mind seems to change by the minute but being all things being equal, I am pleased with my decision.
Will be attending: Chapman

yes: syracuse, Chapman (11k), Whittier (11k), Cal Western, Thomas Jefferson (14k)

take a hike: catholic, UNLV, USD

Wait List: depaul, southwestern

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 05:31:49 PM »
I know what you are going through.  at least chapman is local for you.  my two choices are on the other side of the us.  with that said  Im sure the advice you have recieved is right on.  I was hoping to eliminate Syuracuse by going to their admit day but ended up really liking it.  the adcoms and other administrators have by far been the most helpful throughout this process so it does give me pause.

blaqueangel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 05:54:30 PM »
Suffolk is respected in Boston and its top graduates do well. I think the name carries in Boston and around New England. I know a few Suffolk grads (recent grad to mother of my best friends) who are doing well. But, I do know that Suffolk is competitive and I know that after first semester they do tell you your rank in the class. Not sure if they tell employers but I don't like that. Perhaps, the competitiveness is because you have BC, BU and Harvard. I think Northeastern is ranked higher but I haven't heard anything about their law graduates.

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 06:20:10 PM »
blaqueangel,

Does the people that you know from Suffolk say anything about the brutal grade curve?  Do they feel at a disadvantage against other schools as far as jobs because of a lower curve?

rick8481

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm In!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 02:13:42 PM »
USNWR Pwns all of us.

3.1  157
Accepted: Mercer, Stetson, Florida Coastal w/ $$$
A**holes: Georgia State 
Wait Listed: UGA,
Hold:  FSU

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rick8481

ez075230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 02:58:12 PM »
mrizzle, it seems that we are in similar situations. I'm from northern CA, but will most likely be attending a school down south. What made you choose Chapman instead of Thomas Jefferson, Whittier or CA Western? I'm still waiting for my Chapman reply but am in at all the rest. How do you think these schools compare with each other in terms of reputation and employment prospects?

Ideally I would like to practice in Norcal, but I may very well fall in love with Socal like a lot of my friends did.

Also, so far I'm in at a t3(Albany) as well, but it seems the general consensus is that it wouldn't be worth it to go to NY if I want to practice in CA. Anyone have any thoughts?

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 03:01:44 PM »
Stay in CA.  Unless the school is Columbia or NYU, a New York school isn't going to give you much of an advantage if you definitely want to stay in California.
Attending: Fordham

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • slave to the "unread replies to your posts" link..
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 03:19:36 PM »
I have been accepted to a second tier school (Syracuse) and I really liked it.  I have also been accepted to a fourth tier school (Suffolk) and I loved Boston when I visited.  Syracuse is giving me five more grand to attend which I know is not a big difference.  Would going to Suffolk be a bad decision because it is ranked two tiers lower and have given me less money?  Since both are out of the first tier do I go for great location or higher rank?  Please help me, deposits are due very soon.  Thank you for all replies.

First of all Syracuse is barely T2 (95th) and they were T3 just last month. If you'd rather be in Boston, Suffolk will deliver the jobs, Syracuse won't. Boston's cool. I've been living here for nearly ten years. Still, you should check out both schools to get a feel for their vibe, competitiveness, and policies (law review, recruiting, ranking, etc.) I got a good feeling from the two visits I made to Suffolk. I also know two recent grads who loved it. They both spoke very highly and fondly of their experience. Plus, the facilities are all less than 10 years old and really nice.