Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: account deletion???  (Read 976 times)

V

• Sr. Citizen
  • MYYYYYY Turn !!!
    • View Profile
account deletion???
« on: April 03, 2005, 08:02:01 PM »
my question is not meant to offend anyone, but i'm curious as to why people delete their accounts when they come back as the same user under 'guest?'  Wouldn't it be easier if they didn't delete them and just posted randomnly, unless of course something bizarre happens to one's account if one isn't active enough, no?

will someone please explain this; perferably someone who has deleted his/her account?  i'm curious what one's reasoning is, abeit i'm sure it will vary from person to person.

thanks, V

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: account deletion???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 08:05:08 PM »
I think people delete their accounts and then recreate a new account with the same name in order to prevent people from searching all your old posts very effectively. It allows you to maintain an identity or 'board presence' but helps make tracking your down, or outing you, a little more difficult. There have been some unfortunate incidents on the board in this regard.

V

• Sr. Citizen
  • MYYYYYY Turn !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 08:16:54 PM »
bigtex. thanks for an answer.  now another question just engendered by with what your replied that i was wondering if you would answer.  can people still search people's 'guest's' accounts?

thanks again; and sorry to hear about these past unfortunate happenings.

the REAL desi

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 08:21:37 PM »
some of us have deleted accounts in an attempt to rid ourselves of our addiction to this site.

V

• Sr. Citizen
  • MYYYYYY Turn !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 08:28:47 PM »
some of us have deleted accounts in an attempt to rid ourselves of our addiction to this site.

i don't think it has worked very well; and i'm not saying this to offend or to be cruel.  it's just an observation/opinion and i'll leave it at that.  but i appreciate your input,  nonetheless.

the REAL desi

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 12:26:07 AM »
no it hasn't.  but as finals approach, i think i've posted like 4 messages in the past week (including these two today)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 08:52:08 AM »
When people delete their accounts, their name still shows up for each of their posts, but in black, with the descriptive "guest" under it as opposed to post count and stuff.

They're not coming back to post as a guest, that's not possible on this site.  You either have an account and post, or you don't. The "guest" thing automatically happens when you delete you account.

And some people then "reregister" the name to prevent people posting under it.  Some have taken deleted usernames, reregistered them, and proceeded to flame people.

V

• Sr. Citizen
  • MYYYYYY Turn !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 01:57:27 PM »
you guys are really great.  i want to thank you for answering something about i've been wondering, though not too sure why i even pondered it in with to begin.  anyway, it makes total sense now, and that is why i appreciate your replies.

on a side note, a special thanks to jacy 85 for answering a question i had that i didn't even post. the preemption of 'guest' appearing where one's self slogan and pic used to, which explains how some can somewhat secure their identity. 

eva, i think i erred.  if you posted only 4 messages this week, ( and i think it's safe to assume you ususally post more by what you have written) then account deletion buttresses well.  i'm an addict too.  i'm sure i'll be doing this soon when i attend ls.

thanks again for your replies people!  : )

A.J

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 10:16:59 PM »
I have deleted several times simply to get away from the site.  Obviously it hasnt worked.  :P