Law School Discussion

Anyone visit Columbia?

Anyone visit Columbia?
« on: April 03, 2005, 09:06:57 AM »
OK so I'm starting to get excited about going there, but because I work and don't want to shell out the money for a plane ticket, I'm probably not visisting any time soon.

So, people that went there: how was it?  How does the campus feel?  Are the facilities OK?  Do the buildings look like crap?  Does it have an OK gym (I was so jazzed about Georgetown's gym...I guess nothing can match that though)?  Are the people all a-holes?  Did the professors give you the Socratic as you walked around?  How were the events in the admitted days?

jdw112

Re: Anyone visit Columbia?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 09:22:07 AM »
No need to worry. Jerome Greene Hall, the primary building for the law school, is prett nice. It is nicely designed and well maintained. As I have seen many commenting on rest room at the school they have visited, CLS has magnificent restrooms. Well, I only used one, on the first floor of the hall, but it was nice. Last year, I participated in the CLS mock trial program as a juror. The lecture room we used was pretty cool. It had ethernet cables, plug, and microphones, all the things you would expect. The law school library is set up pretty nicely, but the stacks blow. The aisles are too slim, but it's great other than that.

The law school also uses two other buidling locate a stones throw from  JGH, the are called by those familiar "little Warren" and "big Warren. Little warren is home to law review, the Center for Public Interest Law, and a few other offices. The buiding is not great, but it is comfortable. The people make it much better though. The staff of the CPIL is great, they are four amazing ladies who will do their best to help in any way that they can.

The admissions office, not that you need it, is located in big Warren, but so are some of the business school offices. I have only been to that building a few times, so I can't say muc. It is nice looking and always kept clean.

The campus of Columbia University is amazing. It isn't big, but you never really get tires of lookin at it. The only real eyesore is Lerner Hall, the student building.

Columbia's gym is located on the main campis and is situated underground. It has an inoor track, many fitness machines, basketball courts, and other things. There are outdoor tennis courts on campus level (2 i think).

Overall, I do not think you will be disappointed with Columbia's facilities. I cannot compare them to those of Georgetown, but I doubt they could be much worse, if worse at all.

Columbia has good and bad housing. All of the building are kept clean, but some apartments suck worse than others. Try to get an apartment on 113th between B'way and Amseterdam if you can. or, if available, the best spot is 116th between morningside and amsterdam, like 50ft from the law school itself. Some of the stuf on like 120th sucks, but it's not like a slum or anything. Columbia is really good about fixing problems and such, usually within 24 hrs.

If you have any other question please ask ^_^

EDIT: After reading this, I figured people might wonder how I know so much and assume I went to CLS. I don't want to seem like a fraud, so here is some personal info:  I am a Columbia undergrad. I have held various positions (some WS, others not) around the university, including the law school.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 09:51:04 AM »
Wow, that was pretty informative. Thanks. Well...other questions...do the students seem happy?  I'm guessing people aren't too worried about jobs, but how about their overall happiness in terms of student life?

jdw112

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 10:05:44 AM »
Ha ha, everyone seems to love it. The law students are not the most outgoing people, but they are all helpful. The moot court participants took us volunteers out for dinner and drinks. They sat and answered all of our questions while (seemingly) taking an interest in us. I would have to say it looks like a happy enough place. Many are probably just pleased to be there, and others are happy because they are doing well. Who knows? Most seem passionate, whether it is for law or money I couldn't tell you. As for placement, I never got to know any of the people in the career office. CPIL places kids really easily if you are into public interest stuff over the summer. A friend of mine told me her grades were not all that, but she snagged a job making approx $125,000 without much effort. I wonder if Bollinger teaches any classes at the law school. I know he teaches an undergrad course. I met the new dean of the ls last summer, and he seemed like a nice guy. All the staff and faculty I have met were pretty cool.

kina

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 12:29:21 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the input.

St. Shaun

• Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 10:52:26 PM »
I talked to a few people who were at the Columbia visit days at the Michigan visit days.
The ones I talked to were more impressed with Michigan.  One odd thing was that one of
the students I was in mock class with noticed that he sat in on this same professors class
at Columbia.  He found out later that the professor was visiting at Columbia for the year.
It's kind of odd to sit in on two classes at different schools with the same professor.