Law School Discussion

GW Admit Day Reviews

miller

• View Profile
Re: GW Admit Day Reviews
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 09:01:31 AM »

I dont want to jump on the bandwagen here, but I came home and immidiately sent out my check to another school. I was impressed with somethings at GW, but it wasnt enough. I liked the idea of interning during the school year. I thought the opportunities for work would be awesome, but extremely governmental. It is clear that the school has a slight governmental edge, something I did not believe until I saw it. I guess I should have known. I like the government and all, but not really my goal. (i realise you can do more than gov from GW, just a reaction) The students seemed young, but I did not have a problem with that.
   Talking with students outside of the admitted students day gave a very different impression. Many of them had gone to GW because of the scholarships, but they would have gone elsewhere had they done it over again and without the $. THe large student body made it hard for them to get the most out the schools programs; the clinics seemed to pisse veryone off because not one person I talked to got to do one.
   Finally, I thought the resentment of not getting into GULC would be non-existant, but everything they talked about was said in an air of second to GULC> (we place better than anyother law school in goverment jobs in DC, other than GULC of course) I got sick of that.
   Needless to say, I am off to another school. I had fun with the other prospectives I met and I wouldnt take the trip back for a second. But GWU is not right for me

eratfink2

• in a dunk tank
    • AOL Instant Messenger - eratfink
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 09:06:23 AM »
I went to GW Admit day and just got a wierd vibe too. I met a bunch of admitted students gung ho on going to GW. I go to GTown for ugrad and got into Duke and most people I talked to were like oh go to Duke.....but I love DC....and I am waiting on the lists at Gtown, The 'bia, and the Penn.

Overall:
1. the food was good
2. the contracts class I saw was awesome
3. there could have been more free stuff
4. it was long and I peaced out back to campus early
5. The scholarship happy hour/dinner on thursday night was v good
6. The dean's speech at lunch made no sense; it was an overview of the history of the U.S. something akin to a 5th grade social studies presentation about the law and the founding of the U.S.
7. The buildings are really nice and they are adding and renovating one more

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 03:13:31 PM »
Dido the lunch time history lesson!  Here's a tip for GW: no one will decide to attend your school because George Washington founded it to bring unity or whatever back in the day--who cares!  So it sounds like there is a general consensus that it was a poor event.  Listen up GW and take notes!

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 09:09:31 PM »
Double ditto on the history lesson. I really enjoyed hearing the history, actually, but I don't see its importance/relevance in the situation.  And did anyone else attend the Contracts class at 11 am (Groups 15-20 I think) and notice that the professor would make small side jokes that merited perhaps a smile or smirk--and then the class would ERUPT in laughter?  Are they just that dull?  Am I going to turn into that? :O

Trel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 10:06:05 PM »
Yea I was in that contracts class and agree with you completely.  I sure hope I don't turn into that.  I mean grading is blind anyway so why bother sucking up if that's what it was.  I thought it was really weird and just kept on reading the materials from the folder they gave us.

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 11:10:24 PM »
I wonder how many of you I saw/met...

eratfink2

• in a dunk tank
    • AOL Instant Messenger - eratfink
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 12:38:18 AM »
i was in that contract's class too. I thought he was a good prof, one I'd want to have class with even though he had stupid little jokes. i think the buzzing of the keys bothered me more. Do you think it was the mics oris there a buzz of the keyboard in every law school class?

I met some fun admitted students, but I donno....have to go visit Duke now and pray about Gtown...

Trel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 06:53:55 AM »
There's a buzz of the keyboard in every LS class I've attended.  Well every full time class.  My host was a pt student and in his evening class, it was his 3rd year, most of the students didn't even have laptops.  I was bored out of my mind in that class though.  If I was going to GW, or even at vanderbilt where I've decided to go, I just hope I don't get too many profs that put me to sleep.  Oh and I'd definately be going to Duke if I were in your position. 

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 07:06:24 AM »
I'm not sure what evening class you saw.  I am going to teh evening program and at preview evening every single student in the class had a laptop.  From what I heard, GW does a lot to keep the evening and day divisions the same.  In fact, evening PT students can register for classes during the day if they want and ft day students can take classes in the evening.  There really is no difference other than a signature to transfer to Full Time.

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 03:53:14 PM »
Wow, this reads like a series of indictments....Sounds like theyll be going to the waitlists