Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No-Doze and the LSAT...  (Read 2405 times)

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
No-Doze and the LSAT...
« on: May 25, 2004, 05:29:53 PM »
Howdy,

While I'm doing pretty good on practice LSATs (averaging around a 166-167), I find that sometime towards the end of the sections and the end of the test I start to become really tired.  I'm thinking about experimenting with an OTC drug called No-Doz to keep me more alert throughout the test.  Has anyone tried this product with the LSAT, have any relevant information about it, or know of better products to use to increase alterness?

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: No-Doze and the LSAT...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 05:31:12 PM »
you might as well just drink 3 triple espressos before studying.

itll make you jittery...its just an overdose of caffeine.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 06:01:05 PM »
Having taken No Doz once in college, I don't recommend it!  It makes you jittery, and I doubt having your heart fluttering in your chest and quick, shallow breathing will help your focus any more.

I would try fitting in the 15 minute break into your practice tests, especially if you're getting tired at the end of the test.  That way, you can eat something, I'd recommend a combination of something with carbs and something more protein based so you get an energy boost, but you also get something more substantial to carry you though the whole way.  And hopefully eating something will wake your brain up and give you enough stamina to get through the next two sections, plus the writing sample.

And as for getting tired towards the end of sections...maybe taking 15-20 seconds to do a breathing exercise or something to refocus yourself would help if you do it half way through a section.  I'd think it's better to be fully alert for the whole section and miss one more answer due to time than it is to be drowsy and miss the whole last quarter of a section due to lack of focus.

Hope these help!

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 06:10:30 PM »
Don't take no-doze.  in fact, don't consume any caffeine or water before the test, in my opinion.  i had a friend who took the pills, and not only was he jittery and thinking too fast for the first half (before getting burned out by the caffeine crash for the second), but caffeine sucks the water out of your body and makes you have to piss.  seriously, there's nothing more frustrating than trying to work out a logic game while struggling not to piss your pants.  it was hard for me, because i drink coffee all day long, but worth it not to take anything except a decent breakfast.
 the best thing you can do is get a good night's sleep before the test. and pace yourself while you're taking it.  you're getting tired because you're bored, most likely, that's what happened to me. 
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 08:10:07 PM »
Just say no to No-Doze, dude. Don't screw around with that *&^%. It's a waste of your time. What you really want is Adderal. A lot of people snort the time-release stuff if they get their hands on it, which-here's a shocker-disables the time-release function and gets you all hopped up at once. Swallow the time-release capsule. That'll keep you awake all the way through the end of your test and probably through half of the October test. Plain old non time-release works like a charm as well. However, no need to be stupid and snort this (i still haven't learned). Since it does not have the time-release function, chopping it up and snorting it won't do a damn thing other than give you blue snot, and some weird looks from concerned friends. Swallow the damn thing, and drink a large coffee. Warning-I've said this before and i'll say it again: You WILL have to drop a serious deuce of mass proportions. However, i can assure you that it'll be worth it. You'll be so stoked on the LSAT you'll go home after the test and take a few practice tests just cuz you're having that much fun.
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 08:44:32 PM »
Jewlo-  you are one funny chick, for sure.  but your advice is priceless.  thanks for sharing what you know.  you're cool...hang in there. 
hats off to jew-lo everybody !!

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 08:50:21 PM »
Jewlo-  you are one funny chick, for sure.  but your advice is priceless.  thanks for sharing what you know.  you're cool...hang in there. 
hats off to jew-lo everybody !!

Thanks for the kind words, dunme   ;) (can i call you that?)
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 08:52:31 PM »
for you...make it itwad. ::)

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 09:36:33 PM »

some people (like me) get severe caffeine withdrawel.  dont cut caffeiene cold turkey the day of the test unless you have done so before and know what to expect.  for me it is a matter of timing my fluid/caffeine intaKe so i dont have to pee during the first 3 sections.

Don't take no-doze.  in fact, don't consume any caffeine or water before the test, in my opinion.  i had a friend who took the pills, and not only was he jittery and thinking too fast for the first half (before getting burned out by the caffeine crash for the second), but caffeine sucks the water out of your body and makes you have to piss.  seriously, there's nothing more frustrating than trying to work out a logic game while struggling not to piss your pants.  it was hard for me, because i drink coffee all day long, but worth it not to take anything except a decent breakfast.
 the best thing you can do is get a good night's sleep before the test. and pace yourself while you're taking it.  you're getting tired because you're bored, most likely, that's what happened to me. 

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 09:38:58 PM »
  for me it is a matter of timing my fluid/caffeine intaKe so i dont have to pee during the first 3 sections.

It really is a fine science.