Law School Discussion

"Regional vs. National" schools (US News Rankings)

Erapitt

• View Profile
Re: "Regional vs. National" schools (US News Rankings)
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 02:32:18 PM »
I still disagree.  GW graduates don't have much problem placing out of the area IF that is what they want.  It just so happens that most people that go to GW, Vandy and other like schools are interested in sticking around the area.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 05:08:22 PM »
I still disagree.  GW graduates don't have much problem placing out of the area IF that is what they want.  It just so happens that most people that go to GW, Vandy and other like schools are interested in sticking around the area.

That is definately a confound that none of these statistics take into account.

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 06:33:04 PM »
i agree...a lot of people stay back at USC because its great and its right in la..and then they decide to work in LA....but calling SC a regional school because you cannot get to NYC is very ignorant. A friend of mine recieved a binder from Wash U indicating all the SO Cal firms that interview on campus yet LSD callls WUSTL a purely regional school. After months on LSD and hearing people's opinions, I have come to take them with a grain of salt.

kristay

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2005, 06:57:44 PM »
i agree...a lot of people stay back at USC because its great and its right in la..and then they decide to work in LA....but calling SC a regional school because you cannot get to NYC is very ignorant. A friend of mine recieved a binder from Wash U indicating all the SO Cal firms that interview on campus yet LSD callls WUSTL a purely regional school. After months on LSD and hearing people's opinions, I have come to take them with a grain of salt.

Who calls WUSTL a "purely" regional school?  I think that the point that most people make is that as you go further down the rankings, it is more necessary to be at the top of your class to get a job outside the region than it is if you are at HYSCCN.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2005, 07:44:53 PM »
there are old threads just bash on WUSTL ..and these people just made ignorant comments about the school

jds

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 09:51:07 AM »
With all due respect, I believe those of you that think whether a school is National or Regional depends on its ranking or prestige, are wrong. A school like St. Thomas, which is way at the bottom of the 4th Tier rankings is considered National by US News. While a 1st Tier school that is much higher ranked, like Loyola is Regional.

There's gotta be more to it.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 03:58:44 PM »
I once heard from somewhere that Regional vs. National is based on the curriculum of the school.  A national school teaches a more general curriculum while a regional school is more concerned with teaching towards its state's bar exam.