Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: syracuse v chapman  (Read 870 times)

mrizzle

• Gin. It's what's for dinner.
    • View Profile
syracuse v chapman
« on: April 02, 2005, 09:16:12 PM »
I am on my second pabst on a cold and rainy saturday in seattle. I have 50 bucks on UNC -5 and a wicked hangover from last nite. Yet i would want it no other way.

Now to a bit of seriousness:

I am originally from So Cal and want to practice there.

As of today, my choices for LS are:

Chapman with 40% scholarship first year, renewable upon 30% class ranking
or
Syracuse with 2 feet of snow.

What school do you think will better prepare me for the CA bar and for future employment in the state of CA?
Syracuse is undoubtebly a better school than Chapman, but would that help me in So Cal?

Thoughts?
Will be attending: Chapman

yes: syracuse, Chapman (11k), Whittier (11k), Cal Western, Thomas Jefferson (14k)

take a hike: catholic, UNLV, USD

Wait List: depaul, southwestern

stung

• View Profile
Re: syracuse v chapman
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 05:31:46 AM »
Very interesting, I was in exactly the same situation like you a year ago.  I chose Chapman for various reasons.  And no, Syracuse has got nothing on Chapman if you want to work in Orange County.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 10:22:32 AM »
chapman=sun + rachel bilson

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 10:29:42 AM »
When I visited Syracuse last week the admissions person I spoke with told me they have a high percentage of students from California and that they place many of their students back in Cali.  I don't know if this is helpful or just hearsay.

Goodluck with your decision!

shrimpgordita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 05:37:56 PM »
Comedy...I am admitted to Syracuse and Chapman as well.  I didn't really like Syracuse when I visited there this week.  I am trying to figure out whether I should make a visit to Chapman at all.  I am worried that I will like the place a lot, which will put me in the tough spot of deciding whether I will go to a low ranked school for location reasons.

catalyst81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 07:57:53 PM »
Well I was accepted to both schools as well and I chose Chapman over Syracuse.  Yes, it is ranked lower but when all things are considered I think it is just as good of a school as Syracuse.  Chapman will definitely prepare you better for the California bar.  Finding a job may be a little more difficult at Chapman since the school is so new.  The visit really sealed it for me.  I am from So Cal originally as well.  If you want to end up in California, go to Chapman.  Syracuse is nowhere close to being a good enough school for you to go all the way out there just to end up moving back to California for a job after graduation.  It just doesn't make much sense.  Good luck with your decision!

lawnecon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 10:37:27 PM »
I have a friend who's at Syracuse, and he told me he's surprised that there are so many people from California, most of whom return to the state after graduation. If you look at USNWR stats, a good portion of graduates (for an East Coast school) are employed in the Pacific region (which I assume means California).

On the other hand, Syracuse is incredibly expensive, the weather is awful (especially if you're used to the nice weather in California), and I can't imagine that interviewing across the country is a simple process (particularly since Syracuse has only limited OCI opportunities).

If you're more flexible about the region in which you'd like to work, I'd give an edge to Syracuse; however, if your dead set on California, I'd lean towards Chapman.
Villanova Law School Class of '09

"I don't believe in nothing, no more - I'm going to law school!" Jimbo Jones (The Simpsons)

the original dunson

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 12:30:37 PM »
Chapman.

bamboomw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 03:25:50 PM »
I would choose Chapman.  Although Syracuse is ranked better, and probably more recognizable to employers, I have heard many negative things about syracuse, whereas everything I have heard and read about Chapman has been very positive.  One of my buddies at school (Cornell), who is an industrial engineer, and was accepted to many tier 1 and tier 2 law schools, will be attending Chapman in the fall.  This probably offers little help, but because of what I have read, and given that my friend is planning on attending, I think very highly of Chapman.