Law School Discussion

"Alternate" at Miami

Re: "Alternate" at Miami
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 02:25:40 PM »
Hi. well i just got a letter that i'm an alternate.  So moved from hold to the waitlist.  Do anyone know if everyone on hold automatically goes to waitlist or do they sometimes except and reject after being on hold.  Just curious cause i feel like anyone on hold went to waitlist.  ;)

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 02:56:05 PM »
Miami just sent a second Seat Deopsit due reminder e-mail (the only univ. i've been accepted to that is anxious enough to write such emails).. the emails ends with:

"If your plans have changed and you do not plan to enroll in the School of Law this fall, please let us know so that we may consider another qualified applicant."

So I belive they're just as anxious as you guys to get to the waitlist..

I also think that UM has a policy of accepting lots of people early.. and holding the rest.. they sent me an acceptance letter less than two weeks after I was complete.. and i know people with better scores that applied later.. and went to hold, then to waitlist..

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 05:31:47 PM »
This might cheer some of you up who seem upset about being placed on the WL:

I have been lucky enough to sit down and talk with two Florida lawyers to discuss Miami Law-one of which attended, UM, the other attended FSU.  The FSU alum told me that alot of lawyers think that Miami has gained an articifically hyped reputation due to the success and popularity that their sports teams have experienced.  In fact, he said that Miami has been overrated for years...

The UM alum. was less critical of UM (for obvious reasons..) but he still didn't seem "bowled over" by the network of alum. outside of the Miami region.  In particular, I wanted to know how a UM degree stacked up against other regional powers-Vandy and Tulane...He rated them in this order: Vandy, Tulane, Miami

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 05:47:02 PM »
This might cheer some of you up who seem upset about being placed on the WL:

I have been lucky enough to sit down and talk with two Florida lawyers to discuss Miami Law-one of which attended, UM, the other attended FSU.  The FSU alum told me that alot of lawyers think that Miami has gained an articifically hyped reputation due to the success and popularity that their sports teams have experienced.  In fact, he said that Miami has been overrated for years...

The UM alum. was less critical of UM (for obvious reasons..) but he still didn't seem "bowled over" by the network of alum. outside of the Miami region.  In particular, I wanted to know how a UM degree stacked up against other regional powers-Vandy and Tulane...He rated them in this order: Vandy, Tulane, Miami

That a school has obtained reputation or success from the popularity of its schools sports teams is laughable and a ridiculous assumption. I wouldn't want that lawyer representing me.  If anything Miami is on an upward trend in the rankings and should only continue to get better with the amount of people who want to come to Florida to practice.   
As far as Vanderbilt being compared to Tulane and Miami, Vanderbilt is a top 20 school and should place better than most law schools besides the top 14.  Not so sure how it places out west.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 06:04:35 PM »
I think that sometimes sports teams actually do help a school's reputation.  I know it sounds silly and I thought it was until my boyfriend's sister started to apply to college.  When we (my boyfriend and I) applied he went to UVA and virginia tech was considered below it. NOw his sister applied there and got waitlisted becasue with Micheal Vick and their football team it has drawn more peole to apply, making it more competitive, making the rankings go up.  Maybe this happened with MIami? I don't know. Just a thought that's totally off topic.

ACore

• AOL Instant Messenger - atomcore
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 07:03:01 AM »
While I am not critizing the quality of education one would receive from the University of Miami, it does stand to reason that the success of its football team is correlated to the schools popularity. If a school is getting  airtime on tv once a week for about 3 or 4 hours, people will notice, especially if they are winning.

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 06:02:41 PM »
I agree.  The name Miami has a higher name familiarity with the general public..which lends itself to general acceptance...the same goes for tulane and really vanderbilt for that matter.

A school like Washington and Lee and William and Mary which don't have huge ESPN type sports teams don't create a high name recognition and thus don't often get as much credit.  It's interesting how these schools like Miami get a little extra hype off of their succesful sports programs.  and from what i can tell, miami and tulane are both overhyped-whether this is entirely from their sports teams or not, well thats up for debate.