Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA  (Read 2391 times)

sorority girl

• View Profile
Re: UVA
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 05:14:40 PM »
I'm at decision too.. and 403.  Why can't they just tell us the decision online? 

I'm almost sure I'm instant reject though.  I applied late.

caldx

• 169/3.88, Berkeley
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 05:33:36 PM »
I'm at decision too.. and 403.  Why can't they just tell us the decision online? 

I'm almost sure I'm instant reject though.  I applied late.

How late? I was December test, and applied in January? You never know...I was sure I was a ding.
Awesome: UCLA (20K/3 years), Boalt, GULC, NYU, USC
Could be cooler: Harvard, Chicago (held),
Shmucks: Stanford, Notre Dame
They're just lukewarm on me: Michigan, UVa, Northwestern, Columbia
caldx on LSN

sleazyd

• LSAT: 165 UGPA: 3.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 06:20:41 PM »
Do all schools have an Application Status page (say, I don't know, NYU?) or is it on a school-by-school basis?

sorority girl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 11:07:07 PM »
mid-March.  and I took the February LSAT.  My 1st LSAT score is low for UVA, and even my second score (which was significantly higher) is still low.

i.e.  I'm pretty damn such I did not get in.  Waitlisted if lucky.

tealight

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2005, 12:16:41 PM »
Hey Mattb23, I think you are living proof of the difference between xoxo and LSD posters ;)  making your decision based on quality of life, etc. rather than rankings.  Like you, I was blown away by the Admit Weekend (although curiously enough, no one seems to be discussing it here).  Weather was rainy but warm, people were open and friendly, and for those who care, not bad looking either.  The students were smiling and HAPPY.  Happiness at law school, who would ever have thought it was possible?

And Cville was actually quite lovely.  It's such a perfect environment for focusing on studies and just relaxing for a change.  At first I thought I would need to shift in competitive gear, but now I see myself cooperating and having a social life.  I can see us actually enjoying our law school experience and looking back on it fondly  :)

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2005, 04:12:10 PM »
They basically closed the deal as far as I'm concerned this past weekend. Awesome place, I'm pumped.

Tell us more!

I wrote this while responding to a poster trying to choose between Boalt and UVA, so I apologize for being slightly off topic. But it basically summarizes why UVA has really won me over--their admitted student weekend was really just the culmination of the gut feeling that's been building slowly for months--

Your post on admitted student day was really helpful for me! UVA accepted me first and whole heartedly (with $39K) but b/c it is in the east and I would like to have my career in California I am still torn about accepting them back. I wasn't able to make admitted student day, but your review is very reassuring!
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2005, 05:45:23 PM »
I don't know where you are living now, but if you have a history in Cali, or have some sort of linkage to the state, you shouldn't have a problem getting a job in california coming from UVA.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

mattb23

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2005, 05:56:28 PM »
Hey Mattb23, I think you are living proof of the difference between xoxo and LSD posters ;)  making your decision based on quality of life, etc. rather than rankings.  Like you, I was blown away by the Admit Weekend (although curiously enough, no one seems to be discussing it here).  Weather was rainy but warm, people were open and friendly, and for those who care, not bad looking either.  The students were smiling and HAPPY.  Happiness at law school, who would ever have thought it was possible?

And Cville was actually quite lovely.  It's such a perfect environment for focusing on studies and just relaxing for a change.  At first I thought I would need to shift in competitive gear, but now I see myself cooperating and having a social life.  I can see us actually enjoying our law school experience and looking back on it fondly  :)

I agree--the UVA students really came across as truly happy--quite different from some of the folks I've seen elsewhere, who come ambling by muttering "I love it here--learning so much" and trudge away as I stand there hoping they're not headed off to kill themselves. Two specific things, in particular, really stood out to me. The law school newspaper actually had at least two editorials written by 3L's, the major theme of which was let the 1L's know how lucky they are that they still have three years to go in C-ville. Big difference from what I've seen elsewhere. I was also impressed by the Am Lawyer stats regarding the survey question that asked practicing attorneys whether, if they could go back in time, they'd attend the same law school. UVA apparently had the highest percetnage of grads saying they'd do everything the same. 

There are parts of me that want the name Columbia on my J.D.; and parts of me that don't feel like explaining to my NYC buddies that UVA is in fact a fantastic law school. But those are the parts of myself that I don't like very much, and at least I can say it's a pretty small part (I hope). I basically decided on UVA at the admit weekend, but decided I'd wait a week and see how it sat--and now I'm actually feeling even better about it. Look forward to meeting you in c-ville, should be a fun three years.

mattb23

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2005, 05:57:30 PM »
They basically closed the deal as far as I'm concerned this past weekend. Awesome place, I'm pumped.

Tell us more!

I wrote this while responding to a poster trying to choose between Boalt and UVA, so I apologize for being slightly off topic. But it basically summarizes why UVA has really won me over--their admitted student weekend was really just the culmination of the gut feeling that's been building slowly for months--

Your post on admitted student day was really helpful for me! UVA accepted me first and whole heartedly (with $39K) but b/c it is in the east and I would like to have my career in California I am still torn about accepting them back. I wasn't able to make admitted student day, but your review is very reassuring!

Glad it was helpful :) Hope to see you in cville, but best of luck whichever way you decide to go.