Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF faceslap  (Read 5187 times)

inlove

Re: UF faceslap
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 01:41:29 PM »
one of my friends who is a 2L at uf says there are "about 3 minorities" in her class...

anyways sorry about the rejections ...it does suck getting rejected from an alma mater. everything will work out in the end!

chico

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 01:33:36 AM »
I knew the ignorance would respond with smugness. . . .

First of all I'm not anglo but I didn't check the box, because I actually have ethics and refuse to take an unfair advantage over anyone.

Second of all, UF Law DOES practice affirmative action, whether it is official or not. One florida was designed for undergrad admissions, not professional schools. Also, every application has boxes for race and every admissions committee member sees it. Keeping their class from being too white, even at the expense of favoritism, is in the back of every academic's mind, and effects their decision. They are intent on keeping it artificially diverse, and proving you were discrimiated against for not being "URM" is almost impossible, so they have very little incentive to not use favoritism.

Thirdly UF law has the nearly the same proportion of 'minorities' as the established, general population. Your "2l" little buddy reporting her anthropological analysis of her classmates is not exactly scientific.

Based on LSAT and GPA scores, there is no way without subtle preferences "URMs" (blacks and non-cuban hispanics) would have the presence at UF that they do. URM's who checked the box and had my index almost entirely got in, whereas non-box checkers with higher scores than even me did not even get waitlisted.

You take advantage over people because you check the box, but find it "ignorance" if we point out you do it.

Also, the 2nd tier rejects was pointed at myself, not anyone else.

You want unfair advantage over us, but you also demand we pretend you actually earned it, or that living in a poor neighborhood explains why your LSAT percentile is 10% below the non-urm students. . .

crackiswhack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 01:44:21 AM »
My only rejection so far is the one place I wanted to go, my alma mater. . .

This is very, very disappointing if not for UF I might not have applied to any law schools at all.

What I dont  get is how I wasn't waitlisted with my index of 5.6 when others got waitlisted with 5.5?  I realize that candidtes with 5.7's got rejected outright as well. However I did have letters of recommendation specially written for UF by several important people at the university, including the dean of students, the former student body president, former student honor court chancellor (now well respected attorneys), etc

Anyone else got rejected from UF if it was your first choice? Is it possible to appeal and get added to the waitlist? Or is this unheard of?

Sorry to hear that, dude.  Your numbers are solid, so unless UF is trying to play up to the rankings, I have no idea what their problem is.  Crazy!

Are you in-state as well?  Because that would make it so much worse!

dblundy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 02:20:42 AM »
I'm in the same boat - 5.6 index, solid UF-centered recs, current in-state UF undergrad, rejected. Who knows, they might be trying to recruit more out-of-staters, hurting people like us. I was advised to take another chance and appeal the decision (check out the law school's admissions web page for details on this), but I went to FSU's Admitted Student's Day and was impressed by it. The presentation wasn't perfect by any means, but the people I met there were great and the law school was impressive. I was pretty pissed when I found out about my UF rejection too, but I feel like I would not have taken FSU so seriously if UF had let me in.
Think about it this way - whichever school you end up at, if you excel over the next three years then you'll have a great job waiting for you after graduation. The slap in the face may hurt, but it'll heal, too.

My only rejection so far is the one place I wanted to go, my alma mater. . .

This is very, very disappointing if not for UF I might not have applied to any law schools at all.

What I dont  get is how I wasn't waitlisted with my index of 5.6 when others got waitlisted with 5.5?  I realize that candidtes with 5.7's got rejected outright as well. However I did have letters of recommendation specially written for UF by several important people at the university, including the dean of students, the former student body president, former student honor court chancellor (now well respected attorneys), etc

Anyone else got rejected from UF if it was your first choice? Is it possible to appeal and get added to the waitlist? Or is this unheard of?

Sorry to hear that, dude.  Your numbers are solid, so unless UF is trying to play up to the rankings, I have no idea what their problem is.  Crazy!

Are you in-state as well?  Because that would make it so much worse!

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 08:24:20 AM »

You take advantage over people because you check the box, but find it "ignorance" if we point out you do it.

Also, the 2nd tier rejects was pointed at myself, not anyone else.

You want unfair advantage over us, but you also demand we pretend you actually earned it, or that living in a poor neighborhood explains why your LSAT percentile is 10% below the non-urm students. . .

I'm white. I had a 5.6 and I was waitlisted.

I'm dirt poor and my background is pretty rough. I have several years of interesting nonprofit work experience(organized rallies,worked w/state rep.s,a multi-state enviro event,the whole nine yards),a publication, and I work at the school. 

I'm not crying a river because someone else with the same index got in. I don't care what color they are. I did some cool stuff, but my numbers just didn't quite cut it.  I'll live.

Being mad at someone for checking off that they are an URM is absurd. If most people had that slight edge,they would take it. Why should someone refuse to state their race out of principle? If you hate the system,fine. But don't hate people who didn't create it. I bet the vast majority of us would take any edge we could get.

And don't attempt to talk about poverty unless you've actually lived through it(if you have, then by all means share your wisdom as to why it's not a factor in under performance). Everyone is not treated equal. Does that mean that an underqualified student body should be admitted? No. Do you know these people are underqualified? No. I've looked at LSN and I don't see anyone admitted with a 10 percentile drop because they're an URM. Even if someone was, there's no way to prove that it was the deciding factor. I've known white people admitted to UF with numbers below the incoming classes medians because they had something special on their resume. How do you know that the only reason an URM was admitted was because of their skin color?

I also don't see LSN as an exact source of anything. People can create accounts, lie, screw the stats,etc. It's not like anyone is checking to accurancy of the information.

And you exact quote was "Now i may have to go to FSU with all the other 2nd tier rejects "
That is not exclusive language.The word other doesn't imply to mean that you're the only "2nd tier reject.":-p

BTW:I owrk in a graduate department. One FL was designed for all departments.

hope74usa

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 09:29:22 AM »
I'm also white and got waitlisted with a 5.6 admissions index.

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 11:41:25 AM »
Sorry to hear about the rejections.  I wouldn't blame AA though, I would blame UF's new admissions structure.  Next year, their class will only be 300 (200 in Fall and 100 in Spring), rather than the normal 400.  Cutting out 1/4 of your class is going to make it *significantly* more difficult to gain acceptance than the previous year.

This is the big debate raging amongst my friends at UF right now. LOL Right now in the rankings UF only reports the fall class of 200 with a 14% acceptance rate. The 200 seat spring class is not included, and therefore does not impact their gpa/lsat scores or acceptance yield.  Next year the Fall class will be between 300-400 and they're going to have to accept more applicants to fill up that class, so I would assume getting into UF next year will be easier if thats were you want to go.  With the higher acceptance rate how will that impact UF's ranking, now that they will have to fill up a class the size of Miami's? 

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 12:32:51 PM »
Chico you need to get your facts right.  One Florida extends to all state run programs whether it be undergrad, law school or government contracts.  It is a much broader program than you are thinking.  The fact of the matter is you just could not cut it at UF Law.  You whine and female dog about not being accepted but get over it.  Go to FSU, which is a very good school, and prove UF wrong.  I think once you get a C or less in any of your classes that you are going to claim that its not your fault but its the teacher.  Or better yet, because someone is black they got more attention from the professor.  GET OVER IT BUDDY.  You give ALL UF ALUMNI A BAD NAME!!!

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 12:36:48 PM »
Hey Chico,
GO GATORS

chico

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 01:04:41 PM »
Thank you for the solidarity for those of you who responded civily. It wasn't my intention to turn this into a debate. However I feel it is proper to respond to other points raised.

I'm not crying a river because someone else with the same index got in. I don't care what color they are. I did some cool stuff, but my numbers just didn't quite cut it.  I'll live.

No one is "crying a river". My regret is based on the fact that UF is my alma mater and first choice, and my scores were borderline, making it an uncertainty and racheting up the suspense, which makes the rejection the worse for it. So it had more impact on me than a normal rejection. The "affirmative blacktion" was indeed a factor in it, but not the only one. As I said, better people were also denied. Like everyone else, I could have done better. But URM preferences do exist at UF, and you trying to deny it is absurd.

You claim to be 'colorblind'. As far as color, being colorblind only works if EVERYONE else is color blind. Since noone but a few clueless palefaces like yourself is, you will be at a disadvantage your entire life for admissions, jobs, promotions, layoffs, especially in government. You are happy about being waitlisted not because you are thicker skinned or willing to suffer for the URMS, but because ignorance is bliss. You don't get the corruptness of the university admissions game, and the hiring game for all medium or larger sized companies, giving automatic privileges to people because their race has been designated "worthy".

And yes, you'll live if dinged, but that is not the point. . . nobody dies because they didn't check the box, but your life is affected. Doors are closed to people who deserved those last few seats that instead were set-aside for "diversity" engineering. A UF degree is worth more than say a Miami degree ,in terms of mobility in Florida. AA has the effect of forcing non-urms into lesser career paths, which offer less money, which means they must work more to enjoy their life, which means they have less leisure time, thus it certainly affects people's lives for the worst.

I dont blame those 'urms' that checked the box. I do blame the system. However, now that you mention it they knew they didn't have to check it, and they knew they would get preference over whitey (and the other non-privileged races).

As far as poverty I am an orphan and have always lived just at or under the poverty line since being 18. Yes I and my companions have been harassed by redneck cops too. What does any of that have to do with it?

I've looked at LSN and I don't see anyone admitted with a 10 percentile drop because they're an URM. Even if someone was, there's no way to prove that it was the deciding factor. I've known white people admitted to UF with numbers below the incoming classes medians because they had something special on their resume.

Yes of course, UF demands its URM seats be filled with certain standards, that are relativly high. However, they are still significantly lower than non-preference, majority white-asian seats. It is the same at every school. Everything in life is comparative. Yes, palefaces with political connections are protected from affirmative action. Asians with genius IQ's dont care. But what about the other 98%? Do you care or have any sympathy at all? UF had much lower standards for undergrad and law school in the past. What was the average LSAT for non-urm this cycle? Whatever it was, it was higher than the URM.

How do you know that the only reason an URM was admitted was because of their skin color?

Because, obviously, that is what the system defines as a URM. And it isn't really pigmentation, but racial grouping (Black, non-cuban hispanic, Amerind)

BTW:I owrk in a graduate department. One FL was designed for all departments.

Again, whether the law says you can't use AA on paper, is irrelevant. They do it anyway. See my last post, above. The California and Florida university system uses backhanded AA. They give points and preference to anyone who has suffered "racial discrimination", which can only be suffered by. . . you guessed it, URMS! So the same groups get preference, only it is done in a more subtle way.

The fact is, if someone were really being discriminated against, you would have checked "White" on the box instead of the URM box, because you dont want to be booted for it. Of course, the URMS dont actually check white, because they know, "One Florida" or not, they have the advantage over whitey. . .