Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF faceslap  (Read 5169 times)

chico

• View Profile
UF faceslap
« on: April 02, 2005, 02:27:15 PM »
My only rejection so far is the one place I wanted to go, my alma mater. . .

This is very, very disappointing if not for UF I might not have applied to any law schools at all.

What I dont  get is how I wasn't waitlisted with my index of 5.6 when others got waitlisted with 5.5?  I realize that candidtes with 5.7's got rejected outright as well. However I did have letters of recommendation specially written for UF by several important people at the university, including the dean of students, the former student body president, former student honor court chancellor (now well respected attorneys), etc

Anyone else got rejected from UF if it was your first choice? Is it possible to appeal and get added to the waitlist? Or is this unheard of?

rpniner36

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UF faceslap
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 02:44:57 PM »
Chico, Im in your same position. I just finished undergrad in december and UF was my first choice. They told me you can write a petition, but there must be a significant piece of information that has changes, for example, LSAT or new grades, etc. From what I understand, the law school is really trying to boost their ranking. They are renovating now and being much more selective in hopes of getting a bump in the rankings. I am still waiting on a decision from my petition - you may just want to try and write one, what's the worst that can happen?

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 03:35:30 PM »
What a lot of people don't understand is that law schools want to create a student body that not only will be successful in class but will make law school an experience.  Having nothing but students with 5.6 index will do nothing but create a homogenous student body.  No one wants that.  Also a GPA and LSAT is all but two items in your application file.  They look for people that have unique backgrounds.  Most of all I think they look for people with a hard work ethic and have demonstrated this in the past.  No one is entitled to be admitted to any law school, its a privilege.  If you think otherwise, UF was probably right in not accepting you, No offense.

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 11:26:54 PM »
At UF its all about the numbers unless you're a URM. 

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 11:29:47 PM »
BTW, its every school not just UF. 

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 12:06:43 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but what is a URM?

chico

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 11:56:24 AM »
URM: checking the right box for Affirmative blacktion

It's mostly about the numbers, but my entire app was geared towards UF including special letters of rec (not thru lsdas) and my scores were borderline. . . i was hoping at least for a waitlist given the circumstances.

When your alma mater rejects you, it is a cruel cut indeed. . . Now i may have to go to FSU with all the other 2nd tier rejects :(

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 12:26:50 PM »
Its affirmative action not blacktion.  Excuse your ignorance.  The fact of the matter is the state of florida no longer has affirmative action because of the One-Florida policy.  UF strives to create a student body that is unique.  I am one of the more fortunate individuals to have attended uf for undergrad and got into our law school.  Just because you put all of your hope into one school does not make you entitled to admission.  By the way that you seem to have taken your rejection you really don't strike me as UF Law material.

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 12:28:13 PM »
Everybody please do your research before accusing a school of admitting individuals because of the race.  ONE FLORIDA ONE FLORIDA ONE FLORIDA.  Thank you Governor Bush for it!!!!

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 12:37:36 PM »
I don't normally like to be nasty but really...quit whining. A lot of people don't get into their first choice schools. Name calling(the 2nd tier rejects quote was quite classy) and sniffling doesn't do anything except show that you're willing to act childish when you don't get your own way.

White people get into UF with lower than average numbers if they've done something special.If you didn't get in, it's because you didn't cut it. So what? I'm sure if you were pragmatic you applied to other schools and have other choices.