Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF faceslap  (Read 5199 times)

VinnyMyCousin

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
Re: UF faceslap
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2005, 11:21:14 PM »
Btw, since there seems to be an influx of Gators on this board, did any of you guys:

1) Take Normative Issues with Kelso

2) Take Age of Dinosaurs

3) Are Econ majors?

Mad ppl recommended Normative Issues. I'm sorry I never got a chance to take it. I'm curious though...what was the class all about? Kelso was like the only conservative prof. in the poli-sci dept., correct?

BTW, I didn't take Age of Din., but I did take Man's Food  ;) Marty's a badass...

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2005, 09:39:52 AM »
Sorry you did not get into UF. It would be great if we all could go where we wanted. But your slap at FSU was ignorant. I have been accepted to both schools and think they are both great. UF would be a wonderful choice but I am 95% sure I will attend FSU. I am aware of the rankings and have visited both schools. For me factors such as the size of the student body, the career placement, the externships at FSU are appealing.

I've heard mixed reviews as to which places better despite UF's higher ranking. What about career placement at FSU do u like better? I'd like to get this factor cleared up finally. THanks!

Sure Crockett....
According to US News, FSU places slightly better than UF. From what I gathered from my visited it seems to boil down to two factors:an active career placement office and location. There are several firms right near FSU. There are almost no law offices of any kids in Gainesville.
The career office at FSU is making a strong effort to become more national. They have a new director, and she's been making strides in attempting to recruit more out of state firms to select FSU students and alumni. They also seem to really stress summer 1L employment/volunteer work, something I've noticed that other law schools downplay despite it's importance.

VinnyMyCousin

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2005, 12:34:50 AM »
Btw, since there seems to be an influx of Gators on this board, did any of you guys:

1) Take Normative Issues with Kelso

2) Take Age of Dinosaurs

3) Are Econ majors?

Mad ppl recommended Normative Issues. I'm sorry I never got a chance to take it. I'm curious though...what was the class all about? Kelso was like the only conservative prof. in the poli-sci dept., correct?

BTW, I didn't take Age of Din., but I did take Man's Food  ;) Marty's a badass...

Yeah, apparently its a course about the rise of liberalism, taught by the one of the only conservative profs in the dpt (Conley is another); pretty ironic.  Yeah, people like him because he is funny and really easy.  All you have is a final, and if he likes you, you are ok.

Rise of "liberalism" as in 60s-style neoliberalism--not enlightenment-era, Jeffersonian/Burekian classical liberalism, correct?

VinnyMyCousin

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2005, 12:49:16 AM »
Sorry you did not get into UF. It would be great if we all could go where we wanted. But your slap at FSU was ignorant. I have been accepted to both schools and think they are both great. UF would be a wonderful choice but I am 95% sure I will attend FSU. I am aware of the rankings and have visited both schools. For me factors such as the size of the student body, the career placement, the externships at FSU are appealing.

I've heard mixed reviews as to which places better despite UF's higher ranking. What about career placement at FSU do u like better? I'd like to get this factor cleared up finally. THanks!

Sure Crockett....
According to US News, FSU places slightly better than UF. From what I gathered from my visited it seems to boil down to two factors:an active career placement office and location. There are several firms right near FSU. There are almost no law offices of any kids in Gainesville.
The career office at FSU is making a strong effort to become more national. They have a new director, and she's been making strides in attempting to recruit more out of state firms to select FSU students and alumni. They also seem to really stress summer 1L employment/volunteer work, something I've noticed that other law schools downplay despite it's importance.

Thanks, Vixie. I think attending either FSU or UF would be great if you plan on practicing in Fla. I honestly take US News rankings with a grain of salt b/c as far as I know, the data is provided by the schools themselves and always manipulated in such a way as to provide for the most flattering outcome. Are the same number of grads at both schools reporting salary/placement info.? UF is ranked higher, but I do have one anecdote that would lend credence to your superior take on FSU: a budddy of mine worked in a law firm, the hiring partner of which said that he prefers FSU grads b/c they tend to be better at bringing in business, i.e. their networking/social skills are better, while UF kids seem a little more bookish. Again, that's one firm, and I know UF places quite well at the top, Florida-based firms.  In the end, I don't think FSU v. UF matters that much. FSU has the benefit of being in the state capital, while UF is ranked higher and Gainesville, IMO, is a superior town in which to attend school. I visited Tally once, and the campus seemed to be surrounded by a giant patchwork of small factories and used car lots, dotted with dreary-looking trees.

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2005, 11:39:33 AM »

Sure Crockett....

Thanks, Vixie. I think attending either FSU or UF would be great if you plan on practicing in Fla. I honestly take US News rankings with a grain of salt b/c as far as I know, the data is provided by the schools themselves and always manipulated in such a way as to provide for the most flattering outcome. Are the same number of grads at both schools reporting salary/placement info.? UF is ranked higher, but I do have one anecdote that would lend credence to your superior take on FSU: a budddy of mine worked in a law firm, the hiring partner of which said that he prefers FSU grads b/c they tend to be better at bringing in business, i.e. their networking/social skills are better, while UF kids seem a little more bookish. Again, that's one firm, and I know UF places quite well at the top, Florida-based firms.  In the end, I don't think FSU v. UF matters that much. FSU has the benefit of being in the state capital, while UF is ranked higher and Gainesville, IMO, is a superior town in which to attend school. I visited Tally once, and the campus seemed to be surrounded by a giant patchwork of small factories and used car lots, dotted with dreary-looking trees.

From what I recall, FSU and UF tended to have almost the same everything(people reporting,percent in private firms,etc). The only big difference was the median salary-FSU's was 5k higher on the high end. UF had a .1/or .2 higher rep. rate. I know US News needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but I don't see much difference between the two schools. I think UF is ranked higher because FSU's average incoming GPA was a 3.49 and UF's was a 3.65. The LSATs were almost the same(159 vs. 160).

Everyone keeps saying UF places at the higher ranked firms,but I've yet to see any data(US NEWS,any of those law school guides, etc) that actually proves an overall  preference. Frankly,they're both regional schools, and neither of them probably give anyone much of an edge at a top firm unless those students are already in the top 20% and on law review. UF graduates larger classes, so they have a bigger alumni network. It makes sense that there would be more UF grads instate than FSU at any firm(unless it's in Miami,which is owned by UM).

I currently live in Gainesville. While Tally seems like a dump, it will be nice to not have to deal with a town built as an undergrad playground.  :)  Frankly, I'm sick of beer,undergrads, and  Gator-mania. Then again, the cult of the Noles looks like it's going to suck too....

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2005, 11:24:48 AM »
I took Age of Dinosaurs, didn't study except maybe a half hour before every test and ended up with a B +, did no extra credit as well.  Total blowoff course.

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2005, 11:30:12 AM »
On graduation day, 78% of FSU grads had jobs and only 65% of UF grads had jobs.  Now this could be a misleading stat because 38% I believe of FSU's class goes into govt, and those are the easier jobs to get.  Not sure how many from UF go into govt. Miami I forget the exact number but was inbetween FSU and UF, and Miami's grads predominantly go into private practice so its an impressive number for me.  This years bar passage rate is going to be Miami at the top, FSU second and UF third.  Again, this could be a misleading number because Miami had 270 take the bar, FSU and UF I don't know how many took the bar, but I would assume less than 270 at FSU and more than 270 at UF. Statistics are extremely misleading.

SHRN

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2005, 11:40:34 AM »
As a florida resident, I can tell you that Florida is flooded with UF grads.  From an alumni networking standpoint, UF is far superior to FSU (in florida).  FSU is seen as the school that floridians go to b/c they couldn't get into UF (for both law and Ugrad).  FSU suffers from a substantial lack of respect, even in its own state.

That being said, FSU does appear to be on the rise and always places well in gov't jobs.  Still garners little respect from a UF grad though.

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2005, 01:18:08 PM »
As a florida resident, I can tell you that Florida is flooded with UF grads.  From an alumni networking standpoint, UF is far superior to FSU (in florida).  FSU is seen as the school that floridians go to b/c they couldn't get into UF (for both law and Ugrad).  FSU suffers from a substantial lack of respect, even in its own state.

That being said, FSU does appear to be on the rise and always places well in gov't jobs.  Still garners little respect from a UF grad though.

Dude,we're all stuck on proof on authority arguments. :)

Of course the alumni network is larger-it's a bigger school.I also live in FL, and I haven't noticed anyone calling FSU a horrible school(they usually save that sort of attack for FL Coastal,etc). Besides,not to be rude but I don't really care what the average Joe on the streets thinks(if I did,I'd go back to Boston and attend Suffolk cause, according to Bostonians, it's the best law school in the country). I care about the numbers. It's not that numbers are a perfect sign of the school's value-but they're far better than taking someone's word for it.

Homer Simpson says that 68% of all stats are false though.

SHRN

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2005, 02:08:13 PM »
I totally agree with your method of selecting a school. USnews rank is bull.  Imho, however, when you are choosing between two schools like UF and FSU (whose graduates compete in nearly the exact same market) it is always a good idea to give strong consideration to the one with a better rep and stronger alumni network.

As to your comparison of their locations.  Tallahassee is no more of a city than gainesville is.  The only difference is the roughly four city blocks that co-exist with the capital.  There are some small branches of larger private firms there, but they deal primarily with gov't related activities. 

Simply put - if you would like to be in gov, fsu is a good place to be.  Otherwise, your probably better off at UF.