Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF faceslap  (Read 5212 times)

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UF faceslap
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 03:38:33 PM »
You know Chico, you  are so hypocritical.  First you act as if race should not matter.  Guess what?  People like you make it matter.  You are the one referring to Affirmative Action as Affirmative Blacktion.  You are the one call caucasions PALEFACES!!!  How demeaning!!!  You need to take a look in the mirror before you going around accusing an admission committee of racism.  Despite what you say, race is no longer a factor in Florida.  Ask Gov. Jeb Bush whether it is used in our admissions.  Do your research.  Whether you are a caucasion or african american, if you have had a unique experience and have demonstrated your ability to do well in law school, you will be considered.  You apparently did not demonstrate an ability to do well in law school.  All of your letters from "influential people" mean nothing.  All you had to do was to furnish letters from instructors who can attest to your ability.  Maybe you did not show an upward trend in your GPA.  Maybe you did not work full time while making your a's and b's. Don't blame african americans or your THEORY of de facto Affirmative Action for your demise.  Take responsibility like real GATORS do!!!!

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm going to stay civil
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 05:13:30 PM »

No one is "crying a river". My regret is based on the fact that UF is my alma mater and first choice, and my scores were borderline, making it an uncertainty and racheting up the suspense, which makes the rejection the worse for it. So it had more impact on me than a normal rejection. The "affirmative blacktion" was indeed a factor in it, but not the only one. As I said, better people were also denied. Like everyone else, I could have done better. But URM preferences do exist at UF, and you trying to deny it is absurd.

You claim to be 'colorblind'. As far as color, being colorblind only works if EVERYONE else is color blind. Since noone but a few clueless palefaces like yourself is, you will be at a disadvantage your entire life for admissions, jobs, promotions, layoffs, especially in government. You are happy about being waitlisted not because you are thicker skinned or willing to suffer for the URMS, but because ignorance is bliss. You don't get the corruptness of the university admissions game, and the hiring game for all medium or larger sized companies, giving automatic privileges to people because their race has been designated "worthy".

And yes, you'll live if dinged, but that is not the point. . . nobody dies because they didn't check the box, but your life is affected. Doors are closed to people who deserved those last few seats that instead were set-aside for "diversity" engineering. A UF degree is worth more than say a Miami degree ,in terms of mobility in Florida. AA has the effect of forcing non-urms into lesser career paths, which offer less money, which means they must work more to enjoy their life, which means they have less leisure time, thus it certainly affects people's lives for the worst.

I dont blame those 'urms' that checked the box. I do blame the system. However, now that you mention it they knew they didn't have to check it, and they knew they would get preference over whitey (and the other non-privileged races).

As far as poverty I am an orphan and have always lived just at or under the poverty line since being 18. Yes I and my companions have been harassed by redneck cops too. What does any of that have to do with it?

I've looked at LSN and I don't see anyone admitted with a 10 percentile drop because they're an URM. Even if someone was, there's no way to prove that it was the deciding factor. I've known white people admitted to UF with numbers below the incoming classes medians because they had something special on their resume.

Yes of course, UF demands its URM seats be filled with certain standards, that are relativly high. However, they are still significantly lower than non-preference, majority white-asian seats. It is the same at every school. Everything in life is comparative. Yes, palefaces with political connections are protected from affirmative action. Asians with genius IQ's dont care. But what about the other 98%? Do you care or have any sympathy at all? UF had much lower standards for undergrad and law school in the past. What was the average LSAT for non-urm this cycle? Whatever it was, it was higher than the URM.

How do you know that the only reason an URM was admitted was because of their skin color?

Because, obviously, that is what the system defines as a URM. And it isn't really pigmentation, but racial grouping (Black, non-cuban hispanic, Amerind)

BTW:I owrk in a graduate department. One FL was designed for all departments.

Again, whether the law says you can't use AA on paper, is irrelevant. They do it anyway. See my last post, above. The California and Florida university system uses backhanded AA. They give points and preference to anyone who has suffered "racial discrimination", which can only be suffered by. . . you guessed it, URMS! So the same groups get preference, only it is done in a more subtle way.

The fact is, if someone were really being discriminated against, you would have checked "White" on the box instead of the URM box, because you dont want to be booted for it. Of course, the URMS dont actually check white, because they know, "One Florida" or not, they have the advantage over whitey. . .

And the "clueless paleface" replies:

I never said race wasn't a factor at any school. However, if you honestly think that a rich black person has more of a chance than a poor white person you're going on hearsay. Maybe it is true at some schools. My guess is that at private schools it probably often is to *some measure*.  From what I've personally seen,I don't think it is at every school. Some schools, like the public FL schools, are watched like hawks by the government.  They're not going to let people in who can't cut it.

As for other factors- so what if they look at something beyond your numbers? I sure as hades think they should. Numbers tell part of the story-not the entire thing.

If you mentioned your economic status, it was probably taken into account. If you didn't, that's your own problem.

Back to the race bit:The only thing I've seen anyone back these claims up w/is law school numbers, a self reported database. I'd love to see an offical report.  While I think diversity is always a factor,it's foolish to claim that law schools see diversity in only one way. My index is the same as your's and I was waitlisted. Obviously, there is something about my paleface that kept it from the reject pile. 
My GPA was a 3.5(3.69 graduating) and my LSAT was a 160. 

I'm always amazed how many people turn AA discussions into race only. Frankly,I'd be much more pissed about people who are considered by legacy.

And no,I don't care about people who didn't have the numbers/experience to cut it. Hell,I'm one of them despite my pretty unusual resume. I got into FSU w/ a little $$$ and as long as I do well there, no doors are closed to me that would have been opened by UF.  Hell, go to US News and look at the employment and slary rates. FSU is actually slightly higher than UF.

BTW: I'm not an ad-com,nor I do I make decisions. So, chill the hades out. I didn't reject you.

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 05:16:19 PM »
Let's stop the hating!  After-all, we are all Gators.  Let's go find some Bulldogs to pick fights with!

Don't be rational and civil!  :) It'll ruin all our fun.

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 05:18:58 PM »
.  Take responsibility like real GATORS do!!!!

Make fun of Noles?  :)

hope74usa

• View Profile
Re: I'm going to stay civil
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 05:23:23 PM »
Frankly,I'd be much more pissed about people who are considered by legacy.

Me too!

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 06:43:49 PM »
I like the NOLES to a certain extent.  There law school is lovely.  I visited there and the people were amazingly nice and the facilities were tight too.  But i don't like the football team.  YUCK!!!  LOL!

dblundy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 07:57:35 PM »
yeah, it'll be fun being a not-so-in-the-closet Leak fan there  ;)

Had Kelso for Normative; great class that was fun to show up for; the final grade is almost totally based on the final, but if you show up to class, you'll do fine

I like the NOLES to a certain extent.  There law school is lovely.  I visited there and the people were amazingly nice and the facilities were tight too.  But i don't like the football team.  YUCK!!!  LOL!

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 11:40:40 PM »

I'm going to go there. I was only kidding about the Noles bit. :)

FromFL

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2005, 10:11:55 PM »
Sorry you did not get into UF. It would be great if we all could go where we wanted. But your slap at FSU was ignorant. I have been accepted to both schools and think they are both great. UF would be a wonderful choice but I am 95% sure I will attend FSU. I am aware of the rankings and have visited both schools. For me factors such as the size of the student body, the career placement, the externships at FSU are appealing.

VinnyMyCousin

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2005, 11:14:54 PM »
Sorry you did not get into UF. It would be great if we all could go where we wanted. But your slap at FSU was ignorant. I have been accepted to both schools and think they are both great. UF would be a wonderful choice but I am 95% sure I will attend FSU. I am aware of the rankings and have visited both schools. For me factors such as the size of the student body, the career placement, the externships at FSU are appealing.

I've heard mixed reviews as to which places better despite UF's higher ranking. What about career placement at FSU do u like better? I'd like to get this factor cleared up finally. THanks!