Law School Discussion

UC Davis Admit Day--Reviews Solicited

fliingdutchmn

• You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
UC Davis Admit Day--Reviews Solicited
« on: April 02, 2005, 11:24:38 AM »
Davis is high among my choices right now, but I can't make a decision until I get an aid package.  Anyone attend the admit day?  What did you think?

Re: UC Davis Admit Day--Reviews Solicited
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 01:13:20 PM »
is davis through admitting, or will they still admit and have additional admit days? i haven't heard a thing from them yet.

fliingdutchmn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 08:18:09 AM »
I think they started late, so the chance of additional admit days is good...I'll send them an email and find out.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 07:02:56 PM »
I went to the Davis Amit day and was very impressed -- somewhat to my surprise (I've had my doubts about spending three years in such a small town). I walked away feeling convinced that if I went to Davis I would have a very good experience. Students I talked to raved about it -- which says a lot, in my mind, since most law students I know complain about their school. I think what they say about Davis having a collegial, supportive environment really is true...

fliingdutchmn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 07:37:48 AM »
You got a good vibe from the students as advertised.  That's important to me too, so good to know.  How about the physical plant?  I know they're doing renovations, but you can't see any pictures of the campus on their website (btw, the website is also in need of some renovation!).  Did you hear from financial aid, see a mock class, etc?

Anyone else go?  No more Davis fans out there?  8)

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 09:40:07 PM »
I went to the open house and Iíll be attending Davis next year.  That said, hereís what I like:

A substantial number of 1Lís showed up for the open house to promote their school.  I consider that a big vote of confidence given how jealously 1Lís guard their study time.  A surprising number of professors also showed up and the students had only good things to say about the faculty, at least those present.  I had a sit down with an IP professor to discuss the program and IP law and left thinking that if this is an indication of the personal attention Davis affords I think Iíll be very happy here.

I like the town of Davis.  Iíve lived here for two years and itís a welcome change of pace from LA where I did my undergrad.  Davis has many tree-filled walking/biking paths that are great for relieving stress.  LAís traffic didnít help so much in this area. 

You donít go to Davis for the facilities.  That said thereís nothing lacking, except for bathrooms on the second floor and those are being installed this summer.  Davis has wireless internet, a six story library (in a three story building no less) and adequate computer resources.   The dean claims the money is being spent on students not the building and I tend to agree (see below). 

Thereís was a number of smaller things that when taken as a whole gave me what can only be described as a warm-fuzzy feeling.  Iíll bullet point a few.

- Eating and drinking allowed in the library.
   - Assigned carrels for all students (it used to be just 3Lís)
   - No ďtechnology feeĒ for laptop use on tests or for wireless.
   - Free printing.
   - They actually said using a Mac is fine (borrow a PC for exams). 
   - Practically non-existent attrition rate for academic performance. 
   - Emphasis on small class size.

The bottom line is the students seem happy and Davis seems to have a strong program. 

I tend to subscribe to the theory that picking a law school really comes down to personal preferences; what floats my boat may sink yours.  But Iím excited about Davis. 

fliingdutchmn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 08:03:22 AM »
The dean claims the money is being spent on students not the building and I tend to agree (see below). 

Glad to see we'll be getting our money's worth considering how expensive it is!  Thanks for the review!!  I'm very excited about Davis, and if it were as cheap as Iowa, I'd choose it in a second.  Unfortunately it's not.  None of the posters who have written about Daivs mention fin aid.  I suppose that if you choose such an expensive school, you naturally aren't worried about such things! 

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 07:54:50 PM »
The dean claims the money is being spent on students not the building and I tend to agree (see below). 

Glad to see we'll be getting our money's worth considering how expensive it is!  Thanks for the review!!  I'm very excited about Davis, and if it were as cheap as Iowa, I'd choose it in a second.  Unfortunately it's not.  None of the posters who have written about Daivs mention fin aid.  I suppose that if you choose such an expensive school, you naturally aren't worried about such things! 

Davis is a good school, but  you're right--it is expensive; it's no Michgan or Virginia. The students there seem to be typical Northern California laid back and cheerful, but there are a lot of schools in the area, and if you get into Davis, you probably could get a 1/2 scholarship nearby, making it cheaper than attending Davis.