Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Miami  (Read 58993 times)

calikate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Miami
« Reply #740 on: July 11, 2005, 05:37:43 PM »
I hadn't realized we'd have school stuff on the 17th and 18th. It's going to be a busy week.

canegirl08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 11, 2005, 05:52:16 PM »
no kidding calikate!  We also have to buy books on the 17th and read for our classes on the 19th.  Very tight schedule!
GO CANES!! I bleed orange and green!

calikate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 11, 2005, 06:10:52 PM »
I wonder if it'll be cheaper to have books overnighted from, say, barristerbooks.com than to buy them on campus. I really wish UM would give us our schedules earlier so we could save money and buy our books elsewhere.

canegirl08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 11, 2005, 06:21:09 PM »
There is a bookstore that all the 2 and 3Ls recommended.  It is called Book Horizons and it is off Dixie Hwy (Hwy 1) across from UM.  Basically all you have to do is tell them what section you are in and they have the books and outlines and such in one place.  You don't have to find them all.  I'm not really sure about their hours but it seems pretty convenient!

djladyjo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 11, 2005, 08:30:27 PM »
ooooh! I just discovered we can log into the EASY system.. and check all sorts of things..

From the UM homepage.. click on "EASY" on top.. and you can create your account as a newly admitted student..

I did it mostly to verify that they had received my immunization records (which they had)..

I guess eventually everything from our grades, to our finances, to our prescription refills (?), and our voting for law school elections will be handled through that site..

I have 9 more days of work left.. i cant wait for this to be all over and for school to start (I probably will regret saying that in a few months)..

In the meantime, I finally ordered my laptop (yay!) and am redecorating my room to be more student-life-friendly.. and I've been studying for the GMAT (which i take this Saturday).. in case i decide to pursue the JD/MBA option..

blah blah.. anyhow.. a busy couple of months ahead..

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 11, 2005, 11:19:26 PM »
What is the dress for orientation?  I don't really want to get too dressed up since it will be the middle of August.  Does anybody think chinos and a polo shirt would be too casual? 
Going to Miami

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
« Reply #746 on: July 12, 2005, 12:06:29 AM »
There is a bookstore that all the 2 and 3Ls recommended.  It is called Book Horizons and it is off Dixie Hwy (Hwy 1) across from UM.  Basically all you have to do is tell them what section you are in and they have the books and outlines and such in one place.  You don't have to find them all.  I'm not really sure about their hours but it seems pretty convenient!

that place had some nice t-shirts too!

canegirl08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 12, 2005, 01:56:41 AM »
What is the dress for orientation?  I don't really want to get too dressed up since it will be the middle of August.  Does anybody think chinos and a polo shirt would be too casual? 

I'll be wearing the female equivalent.  Except, of course, at the Deans Dinner.  Anyone know what the dress code is there?  Super formal or laidback chic?

canegirl08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 14, 2005, 03:41:43 AM »

Book Horizons is great...usually slightly cheaper than the bookstore on campus.  Just a word to the wise: always check and make sure the book they sell you is the edition that the professor wants.  I have had instances where they sold me the older edition, but the professor made us get the new edition, and it was a pain (happened to me this summer session).  Another time they sold me a book that the professor wasn't using for that class anymore.  They are good for the most part, they just are occasionally behind with their updating.  If you look up your class schedule on EASY, you can click on the link that will direct you to the books you need for campus (basically to the on-campus bookstore's site), and you can verify the titles and editions the professors ordered for the class.

Wow!  Great to know! Thanks!!

goingtomiami

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 14, 2005, 03:00:58 PM »
Are there office furniture surplus stores in/around Coral Gables?  I was looking for a place to buy a couple of office type chairs and a desk.

Thanks!