Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Miami  (Read 62099 times)

VeniceJazz

• View Profile
Re: University of Miami
« Reply #680 on: June 28, 2005, 06:55:14 PM »
So it occurs to me that I haven't posted since getting an apartment (I don't think). And since I am off to Japan for the rest of the summer, I probably won't get to post again. Anyhow, I got an apartment in south Miami less than 2 miles from school. Pretty decent rent. a little old, but not bad for me (I have much lower standards than most, having lived in some weird places). Very close to out door dining. Certain pleasant surprises: traffic is not nearly as bad as Boston. The summer -June at least- is more temperate than I thought it would be. the stores have a wide variety of beer at better prices than Boston, but wine is more expensive. All in all, Miami seems like a great place to be. The campus is unreal. I can't wait to meet you all, so if I don't get a chance to post again before orientation,see you all then!

Linzy628

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 29, 2005, 02:25:50 AM »
Linzy: you're hot! I like that attitude!  Why did you take your picture off?  We're going to be great friends next year.

I got nervous because I watched a lifetime movie about a girl who gets cyberstalked and killed so I took my pic down, but thanks for the compliment! Yea, i'm not into sugercoating things but I try to be as polite as possible - I mean, I am not posting on other school specific boards so I think it's a little wierd that someone would be so interested in talking all about UM and Miami if they dont live there or plan to attend the school. By the way, today is my birthday! All my friends took me out to dinner and it was really fun but I got really sad because I wont be able to see them when I move, which is soon. I am leaving July 11 and I haven't even started to pack or set up my utilities or do anything so I feel really overwhelmed. I'm going to miss all my friends but after talking to you guys it seems like I have already met some great people - I cant wait to meet ya'll in person!
LSAC GPA 3.63, LSAT 158

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 29, 2005, 02:57:46 AM »
Linzy: you're hot! I like that attitude!  Why did you take your picture off?  We're going to be great friends next year.

I got nervous because I watched a lifetime movie about a girl who gets cyberstalked and killed so I took my pic down, but thanks for the compliment! Yea, i'm not into sugercoating things but I try to be as polite as possible - I mean, I am not posting on other school specific boards so I think it's a little wierd that someone would be so interested in talking all about UM and Miami if they dont live there or plan to attend the school. By the way, today is my birthday! All my friends took me out to dinner and it was really fun but I got really sad because I wont be able to see them when I move, which is soon. I am leaving July 11 and I haven't even started to pack or set up my utilities or do anything so I feel really overwhelmed. I'm going to miss all my friends but after talking to you guys it seems like I have already met some great people - I cant wait to meet ya'll in person!

Happy Birthday.  Taking down your pic was a good move.  You can't be too careful on the internet.
Going to Miami

canegirl08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 29, 2005, 04:03:17 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINZY!!! 
GO CANES!! I bleed orange and green!

croquetdc

• My Hero
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #684 on: June 29, 2005, 08:37:53 PM »
Hey all,

I'm just finishing up the last week of the JWJ summer institute and I wanted to share my experiences. At the risk of sounding preachy, I'd like to give my thoughts.

1. UM is a great school. I can't begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed my time here. The instructors are interesting, the campus beautiful and the city is amazing. I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to be coming here.

2. Be prepared for the fact that law school is like high school. Although the majority of the people that I met here were great, there was some drama. There was a ton of gossip, people talked behind everyone's back and there was a great deal of immaturity. It is also amazing how some of the people actually were accepted to UM.

3. Be sure to take a break before law school. If you have a job, leave early. We only took 3 courses, but the work was intense. Multiply it by three and it is evident that we won't be having a break until Christmas. Be sure to take time off when you can.

Just my thoughts. Hope everyone is having a great summer. Be sure to enjoy it.
"Yeah, I know, some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school!"
                           -Dave Attell

Linzy628

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 29, 2005, 09:29:46 PM »
Thanks for the birthday wishes guys!! What kind of drama was there? I can imagine it being like highschool but isnt the class really big? The amount of kids in the summer session would be easier to talk *&^% about but i guess we are going to all be divided into sections anyway....

I'm such a gossip whore, I dont talk about people so much but I certainly love hearing about them! :O)
LSAC GPA 3.63, LSAT 158

goingtomiami

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 30, 2005, 12:27:34 AM »
Hey all,

I'm just finishing up the last week of the JWJ summer institute and I wanted to share my experiences. At the risk of sounding preachy, I'd like to give my thoughts.

1. UM is a great school. I can't begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed my time here. The instructors are interesting, the campus beautiful and the city is amazing. I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to be coming here.

2. Be prepared for the fact that law school is like high school. Although the majority of the people that I met here were great, there was some drama. There was a ton of gossip, people talked behind everyone's back and there was a great deal of immaturity. It is also amazing how some of the people actually were accepted to UM.

3. Be sure to take a break before law school. If you have a job, leave early. We only took 3 courses, but the work was intense. Multiply it by three and it is evident that we won't be having a break until Christmas. Be sure to take time off when you can.

Just my thoughts. Hope everyone is having a great summer. Be sure to enjoy it.

hey croquetdc, i was wondering

from the three classes you have taken, do you feel that law school will be difficult in terms of understanding the material or will it be difficult in terms of there being a lot of work?  Also, do you feel that you will be at an advantage because of the classes you have taken?

as far as the gossip goes, i have heard that students in one section don't really get a chance to meet students in other sections (at least for the first year).

i am not sure about how others are feeling, but there are some days when i am really excited about attending Miami, then there are days when i dread it (nothing against the school, but just the idea of attending law school).

croquetdc

• My Hero
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #687 on: June 30, 2005, 01:16:36 AM »
hey croquetdc, i was wondering

from the three classes you have taken, do you feel that law school will be difficult in terms of understanding the material or will it be difficult in terms of there being a lot of work?  Also, do you feel that you will be at an advantage because of the classes you have taken?

as far as the gossip goes, i have heard that students in one section don't really get a chance to meet students in other sections (at least for the first year).

i am not sure about how others are feeling, but there are some days when i am really excited about attending Miami, then there are days when i dread it (nothing against the school, but just the idea of attending law school).

Yes, being with 20 people in the summer would create more opportunities to gossip, but I still think law school is going to be a gossip fest. There are 8 sections of about 50 people each. All of the classes have two sections in them, except for torts. Torts is taught with a single section. Each section is paired up with a different section for each class. Because we are going to be spending every waking second together for the first year, there is a high probability for drama. I wish I could say that you can get away from it, but it seems unlikely. It is really petty and immature, but it seems inevitable.

I feel that the classes will be hard because of the workload and material.

They keep saying that law school is hard because you have to learn a new language, but I believe that it is only part of it. You really do have to look up every possible word, even words that you think you know. People know what a contract is, but do they know how it is different from a license? It really pays to look up EVERY word. It's a pain, but things become clearer.

The hard part comes in really understanding the "culture" of law. To be effective, you really need to change everything about how you think. When examining cases, you need to analyze every little thing possible and figure out exactly what the court is implying. In addition, you have to completely change your writing style. Legal writing is actually very difficult because it is so simple. Most people are not used to limiting what they have to say and following a strict format, which makes it difficult.

I have to say that I think everyone eventually picks the analysis and writing up, but it really is not fair, as people are struggling the first month or so and not understanding. For example, who really knows how to brief a case? Who can write a legal memo? These skills aren't really taught during the year, it is kind of just expected that people will pick them up, yet we are graded on our first draft. We are kind of being asked to do something we have never done, with very little instruction and we are being graded. Kind of unfair.

The courses that I have taken have been incredible. I believe that they will offer me a huge advantage. That said, my professor stated that one of the purposes of JWJ is to share the knowledge. Because UM has offered me so many opportunities, I am more than happy to reciprocate. If anyone would like assistance, don't hesistate to contact me. I really would be honored to help anyone.

Honestly, it is going to be a tough year, but I can tell that I am going to enjoy it. The law really does force you to think in different ways.
"Yeah, I know, some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school!"
                           -Dave Attell

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 30, 2005, 08:56:12 AM »
Thanks for the update croquetdc, I really enjoyed reading about your observations and insights, and thanks for the advice. I'm going to go look up the differences between contracts and licenses today. ;D  However, what is the point of this summer program for 20 select students?  I just don't get it, law school grading is so subjective to begin with, law school competition is so extremely fierce, why would Miami give 20 students an unfair edge?    

croquetdc

• My Hero
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #689 on: June 30, 2005, 01:15:04 PM »
Thanks for the update croquetdc, I really enjoyed reading about your observations and insights, and thanks for the advice. I'm going to go look up the differences between contracts and licenses today. ;D  However, what is the point of this summer program for 20 select students?  I just don't get it, law school grading is so subjective to begin with, law school competition is so extremely fierce, why would Miami give 20 students an unfair edge?   

Florida Guy,

Make sure to look up the difference in Blacks Law Dictionary.

The purpose of the program is to "Develop the skills imperative for excellence, not just mere survival in law school, is the focus of the James Weldon Johnson/Robert H. Waters Summer Institute for students entering the Law School."

The students in the program applied for admission to JWJ. The process was open to anyone. I liken the program to a more in-depth Law Preview course. While it does give students an edge, I don't think it is unfair. Anyone could have applied to the program.

It is also a sacrifice for us to be here (believe it or not). I gave up a great deal of money that I could be working for to come here. I also spent 5 weeks of my summer before law school sweating in a dorm and studying in the library. While the program is great, it doesn't come without its costs.
                           -Dave Attell