Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Miami  (Read 59080 times)

djladyjo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Miami
« Reply #610 on: June 15, 2005, 03:05:21 PM »
just asked my one of my coworkers.. and he said that during Hurricane Andrew, they instilled a curfew across the county (sunset to sunrise).. but that some clubs would open, but you had to stay there overnight so as not to break curfew.  This was after the hurricane had passed, though and that a lot of people did this because they didnt have a/c or running water at home.. and the clubs had a/c and drinks, so it was actually better than being at their homes..

we also thought that staying at a club DURING the storm would not be fun.. because last year, for example, during one of the storms, we were locked in our homes for 36-72 hours.. and thats a pretty long time to be in a club, at some point you would wanna go home and sleep on a comfy bed, or eat, or just be let out!! Well that is unless you are on some hard core drugs and are able to dance and party for days straight.. also, if the storm did hit, you may not be able to get home anytime soon since the streets are usually blocked with debris and fallen trees and other barriers that can take days to clean up..

canegirl08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 15, 2005, 03:35:56 PM »
okay, now i'm petrified of hurricanes.  Is it too late to accept my other offers? ;)  I've heard this is supposed to be the worst hurricane season yet.  Considering we already have a tropical storm, i'm inclined to agree. 

I think I'll make my own bar lock-in.  Who needs running water when you have vodka?!
GO CANES!! I bleed orange and green!

calikate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 15, 2005, 03:46:40 PM »
I'm just going to stock up on bottled water, canned food, flashlights, etc. I think being prepared makes it a little easier to deal with. Or at least I hope so   :-\

NCCane

• AOL Instant Messenger - BrandonG5757
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #613 on: June 16, 2005, 09:28:26 PM »
I've been a lurker for awhile, and I'm also going to be at Miami in August. I just put down a deposit today on a 1/1 at Pepper Cove. I know traffic can get pretty bad to/from Kendall, but some of the apartments there are pretty reasonable, especially if you can't afford Brickell.

Also, does anybody else think that Miami is a little on the slow side of sending information through the mail? I had to call the admissions office twice before I finally got the apartment and relocation guide.

calikate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 17, 2005, 11:13:52 AM »
My husband just bought me the Dell Latitude X1 - only 2.5 lbs. I wish they'd ship it sooner though - I won't get it until next week. It's more than I would have paid, but my friend who just finished 1L at UNLV said that it's better to pay a little more for a laptop that will last becuase one guy in her class had his laptop crash during an exam and had to hand write it. That would suck.

NCCane: Are the Pepper Cove apts west of the Turnpike or no? I don't think traffic will be that bad and I plan on driving at times other than rush hour (it'll force me to study at the library more)

canegirl08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: June 17, 2005, 01:15:13 PM »
I've been a lurker for awhile, and I'm also going to be at Miami in August. I just put down a deposit today on a 1/1 at Pepper Cove. I know traffic can get pretty bad to/from Kendall, but some of the apartments there are pretty reasonable, especially if you can't afford Brickell.

Also, does anybody else think that Miami is a little on the slow side of sending information through the mail? I had to call the admissions office twice before I finally got the apartment and relocation guide.

I agree about the slow mailing.  After people here said they had gotten their packet, it was almost a week until I got mine.  I mean I know I live far from the campus but its not like it has to go through pony express or anything.
GO CANES!! I bleed orange and green!

NCCane

• AOL Instant Messenger - BrandonG5757
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #616 on: June 18, 2005, 12:18:23 PM »
Yes, Pepper Cove is west of the turnpike; it's off of SW 137th Ave. I would definately recommend it: it's gated, it includes a washer-drier in each unit, and its relatively inexpensive. I don't know if they have any 1/1s left, but I do think they may have a few 2/1s and 2/2s left. I'm really only worried about rush hour traffic if they put me into an 8am class. I guess I'll just have to leave early.

As far as laptops go, I bought an Inspiron 6000. It's not the lightest notebook around, but it's not a brick either. It also has an amazing battery life (if you get the 9 cell battery option). Whatever notebook you get, I would definately get an a/b/g wireless card with it. Also, thanks to whoever pointed out that Miami will sell software at academic discounts. The cheapest I found Office 2003 with a discount elsewhere was about $135.

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
« Reply #617 on: June 18, 2005, 06:11:06 PM »
2 thins:

137 is REALLY far away.  I know you are from Cali so driving isnt a bad to you as it prob is to others, but 137th is REALLY REALLY far.  That being said if i found a nice place there I would rather live there than most of the not-so-nice places nearc campus.  but again that is really super far and would require qite a morning commute.

secondly, a b/g wireless card is more than enough as I cant think of hardly anyone who uses a.  but I spent the extra $25 to get the a/b/g.  im just saying dont worry if yours doesnt have it

goingtomiami

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 18, 2005, 09:53:52 PM »
okay, now i'm petrified of hurricanes.  Is it too late to accept my other offers? ;)  I've heard this is supposed to be the worst hurricane season yet.  Considering we already have a tropical storm, i'm inclined to agree. 

I think I'll make my own bar lock-in.  Who needs running water when you have vodka?!

the thunderstorms are just as bad.  just this past week while driving on route 1 palm tree leaves kept breaking off onto the windshield of my car.

lalaMIA

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 18, 2005, 10:38:49 PM »
Hey everyone - I havent been on here in a couple weeks, I have actually been down in Miami!! I did the Law Preview class this week and it was awesome! I know some people questioned how helpful the class would be, but I think it was a great prep and it doesnt hurt that two UM professors taught and I got some insight from them. By the way both professors were amazing, very helpful and really interesting people to learn from. It just made me want to start school tomorrow!