Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Miami  (Read 61010 times)

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Miami
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2005, 06:48:02 PM »
IMHO = In my honest opinion.  My opinion isn't worth much, but that doesn't stop me from giving it.  ;D

I always though it meant "In my humble opinion".

Looks like you win... 2-3

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=IMHO
Going to Miami

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2005, 08:17:16 PM »
congrats to those attending miami.  UM is not using their WL this year.  sucks.
FIU Class of 2009

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2005, 08:45:50 PM »
congrats to those attending miami.  UM is not using their WL this year.  sucks.

actually they are.  a few of us from lsd were accepted from the waitlist.

goingtomiami

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2005, 09:41:32 PM »
In terms of entertainment, are there other places other than South Beach to hang out at (places that are'nt so touristy) like bars and lounges.

Also whats the deal with the grade curve at Miami?  I know it was mentioned somewhere before.  I think at Miami, it is something like a B+ or B.  What does it mean to have a B+/B grade curve?

I believe it is offically a B curve but a student I talked to said everybody thinks it is actually more like a C+.

so if it is a C+, what does this mean?  does it mean the highest grade anyone can get is a C+? i know some schools limit the number of A's, B's, and C's assigned in a class.  So how would this work at Miami?  For example, for a class of 50 people, would that translate only to 5 to 8 A's?

goingtomiami

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2005, 09:45:02 PM »
i know alot of people were planning on renting, but for those who were planning on buying www.ewm.com is a pretty good site.  they have pictures and comparable price listings.  plus, they also advertise some very expensive Miami homes - for those of us that would like to dream.

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2005, 03:16:20 AM »
actually they are not any more.  they probably let in people such as yourself with your 170+ LSAT but left the rest of us to wither away.  they sent out a letter stating that they will not be using thier remaining WL'ers.  always next year.
FIU Class of 2009

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2005, 09:51:45 PM »
In terms of entertainment, are there other places other than South Beach to hang out at (places that are'nt so touristy) like bars and lounges.

Also whats the deal with the grade curve at Miami?  I know it was mentioned somewhere before.  I think at Miami, it is something like a B+ or B.  What does it mean to have a B+/B grade curve?

I believe it is offically a B curve but a student I talked to said everybody thinks it is actually more like a C+.

so if it is a C+, what does this mean?  does it mean the highest grade anyone can get is a C+? i know some schools limit the number of A's, B's, and C's assigned in a class.  So how would this work at Miami?  For example, for a class of 50 people, would that translate only to 5 to 8 A's?

Here is the policy from the Miami Handbook

First-Year Grade Distribution
Students in first-year courses (other than Legal Research & Writing and second semester elective courses) are graded in accordance with the following grade distribution:
1. the combined total number of B+ and A grades awarded in each course shall equal or exceed 20% of the number of students graded in that course; and
2. the combined total number of B, B+ and A grades awarded in each course shall equal or exceed 45% of the number of students graded in that course.
This distribution also applies to first year required courses (e.g., Torts and Criminal Procedure) taught to students in the part-time division during their second year.
The sum of C-, D and F grades in first-year courses (other than Legal Research and Writing) shall not be less than 5% nor more than 15% of the number of students graded in that course, (subject to waiver for a particular course in unusual circumstances by vote of the Faculty or by the Dean prior to the submission of grades).
The Legal Research & Writing Program applies the following grade distribution:
1. the total number of B+ and A grades awarded each semester in each section shall equal 25% + 5% of the number of students graded in that section; and
2. the total number of B, B+ and A grades awarded in each semester in each section shall equal 60% + 10% of the number of students graded in that instructor’s section.
Grades received in Legal Research & Writing I and II are not computed in determining one’s cumulative grade-point average for purposes of academic probation, dismissal and re-admission or reinstate-ment.
It is the responsibility of the Office of the Associate Dean to interpret the proper implementation of the First-Year Grade Distribution.
Going to Miami

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2005, 11:59:14 AM »
You guys are slacking with the posts about Miami, I had to go to page 2 to find this thread.  :D

calikate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2005, 01:46:22 PM »
Is anyone else irritated to still be working at dead end jobs with school on the horizon? Every day it's "__ weeks till I can move" May sucks. At least in June there's packing, etc.

Oh, when does Miami send out the orientation packets? Anyone know?

calikate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2005, 04:12:49 PM »
I was going to read and prepare, but screw it. I'm just gonna relax this summer and try to enjoy the last few weeks of freedom. After May, the time will fly by.