Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Miami  (Read 62097 times)

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Miami
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2005, 08:46:25 AM »
I'm sure there are plenty of partners making 800k a year, but they're the partners with the big clients in the lucrative fields of the firm.  If you're in the firm doing real estate law and you're not bring in multimillions a year in revenue there is no way the firm will pay you that kind of money, I know some guys in real estate at the big law firms in Miami making 300k a year as partners while guys in the other parts of the firm are making over a million.  Depends were you want to specialize, and remember if you're not the guru its all about being a rainmaker or you never make partner.

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2005, 06:37:34 PM »
gotta be honest and say that i am alittle pissed at miami...i was complete in late oct...i get a letter saying I'm a "hold" on Nov. 1...ok, fine i think..they need to evaluate their pool

so i wait
and wait

and wait

and wait

finally on april 13, I get a letter saying I'm a WL...

so i waited 4+ months to get a BS WL notification..give me a break
"Que ve esta noviembre?"

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2005, 07:59:42 PM »
i heard their fall class is almost full.  i hope to at least hear something in the next few weeks.  i need some sort of closure.
FIU Class of 2009

goingtomiami

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2005, 08:17:14 PM »
i heard their fall class is almost full.  i hope to at least hear something in the next few weeks.  i need some sort of closure.

would that also be the case for transfers?

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2005, 11:26:54 PM »
Has anybody looked at how expensive houses are to buy in Miami and how crappy most of them are.  I was looking at them for post law school life planning and I am worried about the quality of life I can afford in Miami.  The cheapest decent house that I wouldn't mind living in goes for around $400,000.  I could get the same house here in Raleigh for $200,000 bucks.  I really like Key Biscayne but crappy three bedrooms there go for over $1.3 million. 

Even if I get a great job paying $115k+ I will still probably have to rent or get a condo... that kinda sucks.
Going to Miami

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2005, 11:35:18 PM »
yep, the housing market is absolutely ridiculous right now.  i think the market should settle down a bit by the time we graduate, i just dont see how its possible for prices to continue to climb like they have over the past few years.

SHRN

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2005, 11:50:29 PM »
yep, the housing market is absolutely ridiculous right now. i think the market should settle down a bit by the time we graduate, i just dont see how its possible for prices to continue to climb like they have over the past few years.

I wouldn't be so sure about that - those baby boomers aren't gonna stop retiring any time soon.

I have lived in florida for the past few years and am absolutely amazed by the R.E. market.  Just buy anything from tampa to daytona on down (closer to the coast the better) and sell it for a 30 - 60% profit in 3 - 5 years.  I've seen it over and over again. 

One draw back, however, is the recent rise in insurance rates following the horrific hurricane season last year.

djladyjo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2005, 11:59:53 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/topzipcodes/

luckily we bought in May in the 33137 zip code... i wouldnt sell this condo for the world right now, and we have gotten some crazy offers.. i can't imagine what it'll be worth later on.. (plus if we sell.. there wouldnt be anything comparable to buy.. and one does need a place to live.. so its a sick cycle)

It really is insane.. most of the investors right now are European.. for example, a bunch of French people just bought the entire Fisher Island.. (its off of Miami Beach by the bay.. Oprah used to live there.. )

The only way real estate will become affordable again, in my opinion, is if the European market crashes and the dollar gets strong again and the European investors are forced to sell.. and for now that looks like a long shot.. but who knows..

Linzy628

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2005, 01:35:42 AM »
I have been having a hard time finding a place to live....I have a dog, but she is under 20 lbs (she actually only wieghs 7 lbs) and I wanted to live close to campus. I am willing to pay more money if there is security ie, an alarm system, gates, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was just there recently and we went to dinner at this place called Houstons...there were some really nice apartment/condos in that area. I am not familiar with southern florida at all, and I want to live close to campus but not in a shady area. I was thinking about Brickell as well, although its further it has a lot of appeal...

Where are you guys looking? Someone mentioned that they recieved apartment information in the mail. I didn't! Did anyone else??
LSAC GPA 3.63, LSAT 158

djladyjo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2005, 10:40:28 AM »
Where are you guys looking? Someone mentioned that they recieved apartment information in the mail. I didn't! Did anyone else??

You can view the apt. guide on this website:
http://www.law.miami.edu/admitted/

I dunno if its the same as the one in the mail or not.. but it should help..

The area around Houston's is Miracle Mile in Coral Gables.. there are some cute apts in the streets just north of it that are really cute.. I dunno about gated communities in that area.. maybe you can just find a place with an alarm maybe?? That area is really nice..

However, if you want you can check out crime stats on the miamidade.gov website... here is the link:
http://gisims2.miamidade.gov/MyNeighborhood/home.asp

Just type in the address or an intersection.. I wouldnt get too freaked out by the data.. i don't know how accurate or how often it is updated.. but it also allows you to see sexual offenders/predators that live in the area (with their pictures)..