Law School Discussion

University of Miami

Re: University of Miami
« Reply #340 on: May 23, 2005, 07:13:39 AM »
Wanted to see what type of laptop you all are getting. I am starting to look and really dont know anything about them.

« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2005, 07:43:16 AM »
Dude....I got a Dell

Just kidding.  But I really did get a Dell and I love it!  I upgraded to the bigger RAM and it is SOOOOOOO fast!  GO on their website.  Also, if you wait until orientation, they always have computer sales on campuses in early Aug.

« Reply #342 on: May 23, 2005, 08:25:12 AM »
I think I read on the UM website that we can't use Lexis and Westlaw until the second semsester. Is this true? How am I going to accumulate points for free stuff if they don't give us a password?  >:(

And, re. South Miami, what is that area like. Looks like it's closer to campus than Kendall.

« Reply #343 on: May 23, 2005, 09:58:34 AM »
Nope, no Westlaw for us.  We are supposed to use the big books in the library.  BLEH! We start learning about it first semester and can use limited functions in class but we don't get our passwords until 2nd semester registration.

Be careful looking online for places in Kendall.  Its a nice area but it stretches almost to the everglades!!  I found a cheap apartment that looked beautiful in the pictures but quickly vetoed it when I realized it would have taken me 30+ minutes to get into campus WITH NO TRAFFIC!!  And, honestly, when is there no traffic in Miami?!

I like South Miami but you have to be careful there too... You can get into some bad areas very quickly.  You really just have to go there and drive around to the different apartments.  This is where a realtor or apartment service is helpful!

« Reply #344 on: May 23, 2005, 10:32:06 AM »
I bought an Averatec Tablet. I have to admit I never use the writing program but I do like how the screen flips and rotates, and I use the electronic mouse pen. The only downfall to this computer would have to be the short battery life (2 hours) but I can buy a longer one. Also, it did not come with a Microsoft Office program but I had one at home and just uploaded it so it wasn't a big deal. Apparently a lot of law students now get tablets, but I dont see myself writing out my notes that often in class on the program, i'd probably just type them. I don't know.

croquetdc

• My Hero
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #345 on: May 23, 2005, 10:45:39 AM »
So, I was accepted to FSU. I am so confused now. It seems dumb to go to UM though when I didn't get a scholarship; FSU is so much cheaper. What's a girl to do?

Pumpkin,

Congrats on the acceptance to FSU. Of course, I'm biased in favor of Miami, but I understand the cost, especially if you want to go into public interest law.

Since you seemed like a great person at the Law Day, I naturally want you to go to UM, but the money is a big deal. But you will never be able to recoup the free beer that was offered. Let us know about your decision.

« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2005, 01:20:27 PM »
Linzy:
OoOh.. I'm so jealous.. i was DYING to get a tablet PC.. they look so cool and practical.. I have never had a laptop so i dont know if i'll prefer to type up my notes or write them out.. so I thought a tablet pc would be great.. i have yet to make up my mind though..

I've been talking to so many law students, and they all say they wished they had gotten a lighter laptop b/c with such bulky books, its a pain to carry a big laptop too.. so i've been researching light-weight laptops since then.  The tablets are a bit on the heavier side, so i'm torn between a lightweight laptop or a Tablet pc..

decisions, decisions, decisions..

Also, for those of you that havent gotten a laptop yet, wait till mid-july.  The UM computer department will order a bunch of dells and macs at a discounted price to sell to students.. you can buy them through their website now, but supposedly the ones they will have available in mid-july through august are going to be even cheaper.. http://www.miami.edu/tpc/

Personally, I would still wait, since a bunch of new models always come out in the summer and the models you can buy today, will be cheaper once the new ones are released... or you can get a newer model :)

Also, you can get Microsoft Office software through the university for the student price (i think around $79)..

On another note:

I met a bunch of Miami 3Ls this weekend.. we had a huge pool party at my building and one of the guys is a UM Law student, so he invited them over.. I was highly impressed.. very cool group.. we were all drinking beers, swimming, dancing, talking.. everyone was so friendly and got me all excited to start UM Law..  ;D

« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2005, 03:51:54 PM »
I booked my one way plane ticket, i'll be there on july 11....

« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2005, 03:56:21 PM »
I'll be driving out with my husband on 7/16. Will be the 2nd time I've driven cross country this year and am not looking forward to it. I hate passing semis when I'm pulling a 20 ft trailer. Oh well. At least this time we'll be stopping at touristy places along the way.

« Reply #349 on: May 23, 2005, 06:10:31 PM »
I guess I am going down late, August 7th.