Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why not Iowa?  (Read 2750 times)

ksukowat

• View Profile
Why not Iowa?
« on: April 02, 2005, 02:04:14 PM »
Not like I have any chance of getting in-- but lately people have seemed pretty down on University of Iowa...  I went there for undergrad-- just wondering what the negative aspects are that fellow applicants are considering.  I feel like even those who have received scholarships there are reluctant to attend.  Not claiming its the capital of the world, but with its high ranking I was surprised.  What disappoints you about this school?

LawBoundGlory

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why not Iowa?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 03:04:25 PM »
Yeah, I don't understand why there's fuss about the school on this discussion board.  Everyone I have spoken to about Iowa agrees it's got a great law school and extremely good placement throughout the Midwest (and many times in BigLaw East/West)....and the fact that it's #22 seems to irk some of the Post-Wash Univ down...rankings (why?!)

jessesamuel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 10:28:45 PM »
Unless something crazy happens, I'm going to be choosing between Iowa and Hastings. My fiancee isn't happy about the prospect of living in Iowa because we're westerners and currently live in DC. Very urban/western. The midwest seems so foreign and boring. But we've never really been. So I want to visit.

The real reason for this post is that I want this thread in my "unread replies." What IS so bad about Iowa?

T-Money

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 10:36:17 PM »
Iowa's great!  Iowa City is a very fun place!  Hooray for Iowa!

namaste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 07:43:45 PM »
tag

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 12:44:51 AM »
I sent in my deposit to Iowa on Friday, yet I've been trying to find the answer to "why not Iowa" myself.  I have a good general impression of the school, but nothing in particular stands out to me.  In fact, one of the reasons I chose Iowa is because of its legal writing program.  But only this weekend, I opened the USNWR to find that on their first-ever ranking of legal writing programs, Iowa wasn't even listed!  :'(
It's a great program, so I really want to fall in love with the school, but something, I don't know quite what, impedes me.

vegannramember

• Sr. Citizen
  • going to fordham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 12:54:27 AM »

Negotiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 01:08:11 AM »
Its employment data are very bad. A bad law school showing could get you stuck in Iowa, and the Iowa legal market is pretty bad.

LawBoundGlory

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 02:55:33 AM »
Its employment data are very bad. A bad law school showing could get you stuck in Iowa, and the Iowa legal market is pretty bad.

According to NALP directory, Iowa graduates don't have trouble finding jobs.  As a Top 25 law school since the rankings came into existence, lawyers and judges recognize that Iowa graduates are just as qualified as T14 students. And a majority of Iowa Law graduates end up working outside of Iowa contrary to your incorrect assumption. 

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 03:23:17 AM »
Unless something crazy happens, I'm going to be choosing between Iowa and Hastings. My fiancee isn't happy about the prospect of living in Iowa because we're westerners and currently live in DC. Very urban/western. The midwest seems so foreign and boring. But we've never really been. So I want to visit.

The real reason for this post is that I want this thread in my "unread replies." What IS so bad about Iowa?

There's nothing wrong with Iowa or the Midwest.  It's the same as the coasts with the exception of being less trendy, less noisy, and a little less exciting 8).  Oh yeah, and it's much colder in the winter and warmer in the summer. 

elitism or realism?