Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at Vanderbilt...  (Read 1255 times)

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
In at Vanderbilt...
« on: April 02, 2005, 01:15:29 PM »
3,66, 165, non-urm, complete on 1/21.  not going, but it's nice to have just for self-esteem purposes. Would rather take the money and spend 3 yrs in NO than in Nashville....
3.66, 164, non-URM
IN @ Tulane, Vandy, Oregon
WL@ wash and lee, bill and meg,Emory, WUSTL, BC
Going to TULANE (90% sure)

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In at Vanderbilt...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 01:40:35 PM »
I'm in pretty much the same position, all the way around. Congrats, though...Funny about Emory, isn't it? Oh and what kind of a package did you get at Tulane?

3,66, 165, non-urm, complete on 1/21.  not going, but it's nice to have just for self-esteem purposes. Would rather take the money and spend 3 yrs in NO than in Nashville....
Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 02:05:12 PM »
Yeah man, how about Emory?  I heard it's a nightmare where evryone's cutt hroat, so screm em anyway.
 Tulane only gaue me 7.5 per yr.  I can't figure it out, b/c people w. similar numbers have gotten 15 and 20 on LSN.  Go figure.  Maybe if I do as well as I hope to my 1st yr, I can renogociate it.
  Have you figured out where you're living yet?  As crazy as it is, I'd really like to live in the Quarter (just love the atmosphere there) but clearly it wouldn't be the most economical thing to do. 
  Anyway, congrats.  Based on most of the people I've seen on here who are going to Tulane, we're going to have a good group.  I'll also make a bet that we're going to be ranked significantly higher than 41 by the time we graduate. Have you actually sent in the deposit yet?
  take care.

BTW-  I've heard that it's hard to get a PT/Summer job in NO b/c most lawyers in the area are loyola/LSU poeple who are real loyal. Have you heard this?
3.66, 164, non-URM

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 02:11:50 PM »
The Quarter? Well, it's not that far from Tulane, but I'd def. look Uptown if I were you. The rent's not too bad and that area is absolutely beautiful. The Lakefront's not all that far away and there're some decent deals there too, but you'd def. need a car. As for the PT job in New Orleans thing, I also have concerns. I e-mailed a prof there about that, and I haven't heard back from her yet, but I'll let you know when I hear. It is a bona fide concern though--New Orleans, and maybe a couple other places in LA, is the only place in the country where Tulane is actually regarded as inferior to/on par with Loyola. That said, it does well at what passes for BigLaw in NO. And you can get jobs in Houston/DC/NYC without a terrible time...I'd also guarantee Tulane's around #30 by the time we graduate, if not higher...
Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU

williamwallace50

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - caveman7321
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 05:22:14 PM »
Yeah man, how about Emory?  I heard it's a nightmare where evryone's cutt hroat, so screm em anyway.
 Tulane only gaue me 7.5 per yr.  I can't figure it out, b/c people w. similar numbers have gotten 15 and 20 on LSN.  Go figure.  Maybe if I do as well as I hope to my 1st yr, I can renogociate it.
  Have you figured out where you're living yet?  As crazy as it is, I'd really like to live in the Quarter (just love the atmosphere there) but clearly it wouldn't be the most economical thing to do. 
  Anyway, congrats.  Based on most of the people I've seen on here who are going to Tulane, we're going to have a good group.  I'll also make a bet that we're going to be ranked significantly higher than 41 by the time we graduate. Have you actually sent in the deposit yet?
  take care.

BTW-  I've heard that it's hard to get a PT/Summer job in NO b/c most lawyers in the area are loyola/LSU poeple who are real loyal. Have you heard this?
There are some new places in the Warehouse District which is essentially in the quarter that are really nice. Primarily med students live there and they're pretty wild to hang out with. If I went back to Tulane, thats definitely where I'd live.

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 07:27:10 PM »
Having visited Tulane and Emory, I defintely got the vibe that it's a only a matter of time before Tulane overtakes them in US news. Same for WUSTL.   Hopefully, their generousity with the $$$ this yr is going to raise the mean, make it look better. 
  Is there any decent housing with in walking distance of the school?  Ideally, I'd want to rent something right around the park over there.  I'll definitely be bringng the car, but I'm hoping I can mostly get around w. the trolley. 
   Have you looked into the clinics?  I really think they look kick-ass.  I'm actually excited about the whole place.  I think New Orleans attacts a certain kind of personality while repelling the stereotypical jerkkoffs and the "gunners."  Also a large intl population and the exchange program (esp semester in Ammsterdam and Hong Kong)  look cool, too. 
   As far as the Pt employment siutation, well, bummer but maybe we can get jobs wheeling around the Lucky Dog carts like in "Confederacy of the Dunces" ...
3.66, 164, non-URM

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 01:59:12 AM »

Wow, I'm amazed you would pick Tulane over a national powerhouse like Vanderbilt. Your balls must eclipse the sun.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

paranoid504

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 07:40:35 PM »
For those of you who aren't all that excited about going to vandy, can u please tell them soon for the benefit of those of us who have yet to hear from them and REAAALY want to go?

Cyndra

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 09:28:56 PM »

You're making quite an effort in letting everyone know you are
"non-urm" (in the above quote and your signature). Why?

c130nav

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 09:51:47 PM »
You're making quite an effort in letting everyone know you are
"non-urm" (in the above quote and your signature). Why?

He also made quite an effort in letting everyone know his gpa, lsat, and complete date.  It just so happens that those things are the major facotrs that adcomms look at when deciding on applicants. Could it be he was trying to help out others on this board who are still waiting to hear from Vandy?