Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how does LDAS adjust your gpa?  (Read 4104 times)

timthegolfguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.29 / 174
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: how does LDAS adjust your gpa?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 08:04:34 PM »
I'm confused about the thing w/ W's. I've withdrawn from a couple classes w/ various reasons and they're on my transcript but they don't affect my GPA, etc. My school doesn't designate why I dropped or anything, how are these calculated?

M2

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 09:01:15 PM »
For W's f your school doesn't penalize you then neither does the LSAC. They dont average them in.

ocelatl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 09:02:57 PM »
I don't think they are calculated into your GPA.  The schools, however, do receive a copy of your transcript and too many Ws do not look good!

From http://lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/additional-info/transcript-summarization.asp

Grades Excluded from Conversion

Withdraw, Withdraw/Pass—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive

Incomplete—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive

Those given for remedial courses only if the transcript clearly indicates they are remedial

Those awarded after the first undergraduate degree was received

Those assigned no measure of credit by the granting institution, regardless of the grade. Physical Education, Practical Art, Practical Music, and ROTC courses that are assigned credit will be included in the LSDAS summary even if the granting institution does not include these courses in its calculation of a GPA.

Passing grades from systems of one or two passing grades (e.g., Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, Credit/No Credit, or Honors/Pass/Fail, High Pass/Pass/Fail), and those for which conversion rules cannot be formulated, including courses for which a transcript gives only narratives or descriptions. Credits for the work in these courses are totaled and reported separately as unconverted credits.

Grade symbols that have multiple meanings at the issuing school and the issuing school’s registrar is unable to confirm whether course credit was attempted (such as NC=either No Credit Attempted or No Credit Awarded, etc.). The total number of credits usually assigned to the particular type of course will appear on the applicant’s LSDAS summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.

Withdrawal grades that signify failure (such as WF=Withdraw/Fail, WU=Withdrew Unsatisfactory, WNP=Withdrew Not Passing) if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s LSDAS summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.

The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s LSDAS summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.

A No Credit grade that does not signify failure and for which no attempt at credit was made (e.g., NC=No Credit/Withdraw, or NC=No Credit Attempted).

I'm confused about the thing w/ W's. I've withdrawn from a couple classes w/ various reasons and they're on my transcript but they don't affect my GPA, etc. My school doesn't designate why I dropped or anything, how are these calculated?
"Freedom without opportunity is the Devil's gift." - Noam Chomsky

rathpa

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 12:01:10 PM »
Weird System.  All my B+'s (3.5) are being scaled down to 3.33.  And I guess if you go to a school where A+'s are given out, you could do better than people where the highest grade is a A. 

Doesn't seem very even...

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 12:03:19 PM »
Weird System.  All my B+'s (3.5) are being scaled down to 3.33.  And I guess if you go to a school where A+'s are given out, you could do better than people where the highest grade is a A. 

Doesn't seem very even...

i asked this before...

but im curious...if B+ is a 3.5, what is an A-?
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

rathpa

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 12:05:11 PM »
I wouldn't know.  University of Florida is A, B+, B, C+, C, D, E - the resolution between grades isn't as big as other schools.  I would suspect that it would be 3.75 for schools that have A as 4.0 and B+ as 3.5.

pross1492

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 12:08:28 PM »
i notice, looking at peoples numbers, that ldas always seems to adjust gpas down.  does anyone have a ballpark of how much you can expect your gpa number to be down, once they get done with you, or is it very different in each case?

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 12:08:55 PM »
I wouldn't know.  University of Florida is A, B+, B, C+, C, D, E - the resolution between grades isn't as big as other schools.  I would suspect that it would be 3.75 for schools that have A as 4.0 and B+ as 3.5.

thanks for the answer...

thats gotta be one of the weirdest things ive ever heard, where there are no -'s given out and only +'s.  ive heard of schools not giving out + or -, but ive never heard of just +'s. 

your lsdas gpa would definitely be hurt if you have a lot of +'s, in this case. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

rathpa

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 12:10:10 PM »
No real ballpark.  All depends on your school.  If you have your transcript, you can just refer to the website and calculate what your new GPA would be.

Generally speaking, if your school sticks to B+ (3.5) without using A+,A- or C+,C- systems, then your GPA will go down.

rathpa

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 12:13:14 PM »

thanks for the answer...

thats gotta be one of the weirdest things ive ever heard, where there are no -'s given out and only +'s.  ive heard of schools not giving out + or -, but ive never heard of just +'s. 

your lsdas gpa would definitely be hurt if you have a lot of +'s, in this case. 

You are absolutely correct.  Each B+ is now worth 5% less and each C+ is worth 7% less.  Gotta love automatic grade DEFLATION.