Law School Discussion

Making friends in law school - HELP ! I can't do it :(

Making friends in law school - HELP ! I can't do it :(
« on: April 02, 2005, 08:29:08 AM »
How do you guys make friends in law school. I'm in a totally different state this year and I know NO ONE at all .. tried making a few friends in law school but they ignore me totally .. exchange of greetings, formalities .. and when I try to talk about something the conversation becomes one sided .. help guys .. tips ??

Re: Making friends in law school - HELP ! I can't do it :(
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 08:38:49 AM »
Maybe you should join a study group, or a club or something. I'll be in your shoes next fall (moving where I dont know 1 person). Im sure many of your classmates feel the same way. Good Luck

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 08:49:31 AM »
Don't worry, so many people will be in the same boat.  I felt the same way in undergrad (a million years ago) and by the end of the first week I had about 5 friends.  You'll see, it won't be so bad.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 09:01:33 AM »
How do you guys make friends in law school. I'm in a totally different state this year and I know NO ONE at all .. tried making a few friends in law school but they ignore me totally .. exchange of greetings, formalities .. and when I try to talk about something the conversation becomes one sided .. help guys .. tips ??

Try having sex with a lot of people.

Seriously, these things tend to just happen. Just be nice and cont. talk to folks and everything will fall into place.

So, are you going to GSU or FSU?

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 09:02:31 AM »
Maybe instead of you trying to talk about something, you should ask more questions?  Lots of people like conversations where they really feel they're being listened to.  Try bringing up a topic, and then ask some questions to keep the convo going.  Like, say you know that the guy sitting next to you in Con Law has a dog.  Ask him about it.  If the conversation starts to dwindle, ask another question, or start talking about another subject.  It's hard, but you can definitely learn to be a good conversationalist.

Otherwise, join some groups that interest you.  See if you can do some volunteer work or something.  The more people you are in contact with, the more opportunity you'll have to make friends and find someone you connect with.

I totally know how you're feeling.  I came to Boston for undergrad not knowing a sole.  And my bf and I are essentially doing the same thing going down to Atlanta.  Good luck!

mxpocc

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 09:32:29 AM »
dude how did you make friends ever? what kind of question is this

law school is different than any other situation you've been in, but people are people

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 12:01:57 PM »

Try having sex with a lot of people.

Seriously, these things tend to just happen. Just be nice and cont. talk to folks and everything will fall into place.

So, are you going to GSU or FSU?

FSU. I withdrew from GSU last week. I suppose I'll consider UF if I get in. I still haven't heard anything.

DodgerLaw

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 12:20:16 PM »
Maybe instead of you trying to talk about something, you should ask more questions?  Lots of people like conversations where they really feel they're being listened to.  Try bringing up a topic, and then ask some questions to keep the convo going.  Like, say you know that the guy sitting next to you in Con Law has a dog.  Ask him about it.  If the conversation starts to dwindle, ask another question, or start talking about another subject.  It's hard, but you can definitely learn to be a good conversationalist.

Otherwise, join some groups that interest you.  See if you can do some volunteer work or something.  The more people you are in contact with, the more opportunity you'll have to make friends and find someone you connect with.

I totally know how you're feeling.  I came to Boston for undergrad not knowing a sole.  And my bf and I are essentially doing the same thing going down to Atlanta.  Good luck!

Along these lines, another good way to keep someone interested in a conversation is to simply restate -- in your own words -- what they have been talking about. Most often this will lead the person to continue to talk. And, yeah, we all like to be listened to, that's why good listeners are well-liked.

You might want to get a couple self-help books on social skills. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses. Obviously, one of yours is a degree of scholastic intelleigence. Perhaps your emotional intelligence is not your strength. If so, gotta work on it.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 12:22:39 PM »
Don't try to make friends.  Trying too hard can really put people off.  Play it cool and be yourself and people will be naturally attracted to you (unless you are really annoying).