Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: William & Mary waitlist  (Read 6225 times)

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: William & Mary waitlist
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2005, 05:50:36 PM »
BUSL, w/ 20k/yr in scholarship aid.  (4.0/165, sent all applications out by the wee of Thanksgiving, so relatively early; heard back in mid-February).

I really hope you get in.  It's a great school: great people, fantabulous city.  I love everything about it (and frankly, I don't understand a lot of the antipathy towards Bu that I've been seeing for several months here).  Yes, it's true, the building is no prize (even the administration admits this, and I notice how all their photos in their brochures seem to center on Marsh Chapel next door, rather than the actual law tower).  But given that a) I'm going to study law, not look at the building for three years; b) the building has evrything one needs for comfort (hest, AC, wireless throughout, plugs at every seat, fast elevators, plenty of restrooms); and c) my undergrad (FIU in Miami) has nothing BUT ugly buildings on campus, I COULD NOT CARE LESS!  :)

BOSTON, HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, Jengstanley!  I hope to see you in the Fall.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

Qbert duck mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2005, 07:15:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't understand why a lot of people seem to be swayed by how pretty the building is or isn't.
165/3.4
Accepted off Waitlist: W+M, UC Davis, and W+L
In at Tulane, Hastings, Indiana Bloomington, Rutgers, Baylor, Seattle, and Oregon
WL and then rejected (thanks for wasting my time....can ya tell I'm bitter?) --> Boston U and WUSL. Quickly becoming a psycho law school applicant!

uncgal05

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2005, 07:34:45 PM »
Well, I just got back from my visit. I had an interview/meeting w/Dean Sheely where she formally offered me admission, and then I took a tour with a current student. I was very impressed by the facilities, except for that I did not find the library that impressive.  I'm leaning towards William and Mary over Wake now...but she gave me 2 weeks to make my decision. 

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2005, 09:13:48 PM »
Two weeks to decide... they only gave me one.  Yeah they are rebuilding the library and adding 30,000 sq feet to it, it would be ready by your third year. Your first year you are stuck in the old library (which isn't bad, its fairly avg. not impressive), the second year you are stuck in the new 30,000 sq feet addition when they redo the old part and the third year the library will be ready in its entirety was the way I understood what they told me.  Good luck with your decision uncgal, hope to see you next year.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

Littlelaurieb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2005, 10:13:04 PM »
Congrats to all of those who've been accepted off of the wait list....I was just curious if anyone has gotten the feeling/sense that after this round of pulling people off the waitlist if they are going to have a full class.  I've been anxiously hoping to hear from W & M, however from of all of the past rumors I feel as though if you don't hear anything by June, you probably aren't going to hear anything at all.....has anyone else gotten this impression?? 

I'd appreciate any feedback.... :)

uncgal05

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2005, 10:25:35 PM »
what the dean told me today was that they already had a full class, but were anticipating that some would not end up matriculating and therefore they were pulling a few from the waitlist.  the 2l who gave me the tour said that students are accepted off the waitlist up until august.  I think showing interest really impressed them, especially scheduling an appointment with sheely--i dont know how far you are tho

josephschmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2005, 10:56:10 AM »
uncgal,

Congrats on getting accepted off the waitlist. I just graduated from W&M law school last Sunday, so perhaps I can address some of your questions. I will say that getting in-state tuition is pretty difficult. I paid out-of-state tuition all 3 years, and I know other people who did too. I don't mean to scare you off--it is possible to get in-state tuition for VA, but it's going to take some work.

uncgal05

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2005, 11:16:55 AM »
Thanks--that is really helpful b/c that (in state tuition) is one of the most important factors in my decision. I was pretty much all set to go to Wake--it's close to my friends and i am pretty sure i want to stay in nc. as someone who went to William and mary, do you really think that it would be worth it for me to change my plans? I know it has better placement in D.C., but I dont think that's where I want to go. I was really impressed with the career department, though. I'm confused  :-\

josephschmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2005, 11:20:53 AM »
I will say that a number of NC firms interview at W&M (particularly from Charlotte and Raleigh), and that a fair number of W&M students end up in NC. Thus, Wake may be better for NC, but not by a huge margin. I think it all comes down to which law school you feel more comfortable at.

indecision05

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2005, 09:43:35 PM »
I just got in off the W&M waitlist...but I feel confused.  I emailed Wixon about financial aid, and he said, "Unfortunately, at this point, there is no financial aid  available from the Law School.  There is a possibility that committed monies may be freed up at a later point, but it is unlikely. "

Is that normal for ppl who were waitlisted? to get NO financial aid? or is this just me....?
I applied to W&M late...I was placed on the waitlist and then two weeks later (week of May 9) was admitted. I called about fin aid today and the woman I spoke with said there was fin aid for admitted students and that they would be sending letters next week.