Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deferrals and Scholarship Offers???  (Read 703 times)

KappaOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Deferrals and Scholarship Offers???
« on: April 02, 2005, 12:35:38 AM »
I've been offered a scholarship at a school and I'm considering deferring my matriculation until next year. 
Does anyone know if schools who accept deferrals also honor their original scholarship offers?

clownshoe

• View Profile
Re: Deferrals and Scholarship Offers???
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 04:41:08 PM »
Do most schools grant one year deferrals to accepted students?For example, say i was working in Japan, and i decided to stay an extra year to work and perfect my japanese, would that be considered a legitimate reason for deferral?

thanks

clown

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 05:07:10 PM »
I've been offered a scholarship at a school and I'm considering deferring my matriculation until next year. 
Does anyone know if schools who accept deferrals also honor their original scholarship offers?

I am interested to know the same thing. Anybody out there?
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

russiankitty

• MSN Messenger - zoueva@aya.yale.edu
    • AOL Instant Messenger - morphy4444
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 05:12:55 PM »
i have no idea either and am too scared to ask, in case they retract the scholarship. which i'm sure they won't. and, to clarify, you're asking about merit-based, not financial aid, right?

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 05:16:15 PM »
Do most schools grant one year deferrals to accepted students?For example, say i was working in Japan, and i decided to stay an extra year to work and perfect my japanese, would that be considered a legitimate reason for deferral?

thanks

clown

yes and some schools offer up to two yrs for deferrment (u still have to pay your seat deposit though).. depends on the institution...

sorry kappaone can't give you a definite answer regarding the scholarship question..but i would think that the offer would still stand..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 07:22:17 PM »
My understanding is that scholarship awards are generally NOT deferred even if the admission offers are deferred. 

KappaOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 08:48:16 PM »
Well, here's what I've found out from two schools since my original post. 

Some school are willing to offer one-year deferrals, but you must pay your seat deposit when it's due, and during the fall, you must also submit a new application.

The application is simply a formality though.  It seems they need it for regulatory reasons.  The seat deposit is required because as you might imagine, many students ask for deferrals, but then decide not to attend a particular school or law school at all.  It's just a way for the school to know you're serious about attending the next year.

On the scholarship front is where things get hairy.  Both schools I've been dealing with have noted that under normal circumstances they don't outright guarantee scholarship awards, but make every effort to extend a comparable scholarship the following year when you matriculate.  In other words, if they offer you 15K this year, they will make every attempt to provide you with at least 15K the following year.

Depending on how "bad" they want you to attend, some schools are even willing to guarantee your aid award in writing.  One school was willing to do this for me. This is a best case scenario because you never know if the person you made your deal with will still be at the school the following year.  We've all heard of Deans swapping schools.

Anyway, I hope this information helps.  I can understand someone being scared to ask like I did, but I honestly felt I didn't have anything to lose.  I was completely satisfied with attending a different school if both of my deferrals were rejected.

The more I work my way through this law school process, the more I learn that nothing is impossible in the the law school admission game, if a school really wants you to attend.

superhero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 10:05:25 PM »

I asked last year and got both my admission and my scholarship (3/4 tuition) deferred for a year.

russiankitty

• MSN Messenger - zoueva@aya.yale.edu
    • AOL Instant Messenger - morphy4444
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 02:32:25 AM »

I asked last year and got both my admission and my scholarship (3/4 tuition) deferred for a year.

wow, that's great! would you mind saying what school did that for you? i've pretty much narrowed down my list and am now basing my final decision on who'll grant me a deferral with the guaranteed grant carry over.