Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American (WCL) or UMaryland?  (Read 1057 times)

durdur82

• View Profile
American (WCL) or UMaryland?
« on: April 02, 2005, 12:15:28 AM »
Ive been accepted to both American and Maryland. Money is not a factor to me. Whats important is prestige, reputation, likelihood of job success, etc...

anyone have any suggestions/opinions?

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
Re: American (WCL) or UMaryland?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 12:36:51 AM »
If cost isn't a factor I would go to American probably. They just broke into tier 1 too, btw.

As for me? I've applied to the school, and if they accepted me I don't think I'd go. Simply too expensive.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

DOCLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 11:41:36 AM »
I applied to both.   WL at Maryland, still waiting to hear from American.   Maryland has been Tier one since last year.   Their health law program ranks #4 in the nation.   If you plan to practice in the the Maryland , DC, VA area then they are thought of as the same.    If you got accepted to Maryland and Georgetown that would be different. Personally, Maryland is my #1 choice mainly because of the cost(in-state) and the health law program.  I have decided if American accepts me that I would not go.    My suggestion to you would be to go visit the schools and sit in on the classes.   Go were you feel most comfortable and think you can do the best.   

jdw112

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 12:02:10 PM »
Maryland:
36% in private practice
25% in judicial clerkships
18% in government
15% in business and industry
3% employed in public interest organizations
3% in academic positions

figures, and list of firms that recruit there. They dont really seem liberal with information, like no earnigs figures, makes me wonder.
http://www.law.umaryland.edu/dept/career/employment.asp

American:
Couldn't locate any figures. Maybe I'm lazy or they aren't sharing

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 01:39:10 PM »
American is better for getting a job in D.C., Maryland is better for getting a job in Maryland.  They are equally regarded.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

Schmett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 04:49:39 PM »
I had been leaning towards Maryland due to the in-state tuition factor, but was holding out to see what sort of financial aid package American was going to offer---it's ending up being about the same amount of $$$ I'd have to borrow for the first year, so now I have to work out what it might look like for the other two years. I also now need to maybe actually visit American.  If the money ends up truly about equal, and I get an equally good feeling about the school from visiting, I'd have to lean slightly towards American, since it seems a lot more firms recruit there on campus http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

ArmChairQB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 01:38:09 AM »
I would consider where you want to work. I've heard that it is hard to place in D.C. from Maryland.  American would be your best best for work in D.C.  Prestige they are roughly equal.  I would decide where you want to work and research which presents the better opportunities in the area you want to be.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 09:12:09 AM »
I would go with American because its in a nice part of D.C., and will place better in D.C., which has more jobs. 

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 01:47:43 AM »
I went to the accepted student's day and they have an amazing amount of things going on at the school.  I really liked the environment too.  So far I have to say it's been the only school that I've gone to and was like there are all these things I want to do here.  I'm not positive I want to move to the other coast, but I think American is my #1 at the moment.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings