Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me convince my family that Cornell is the obvious choice  (Read 2247 times)

jro

• LSAT: 168 UGPA: 3.34 Age: 33
    • View Profile
O.K. I've been offered admission at Cornell, Fordham, BC, and Cardozo ($22.5K/year).  My fiance doesn't want me to leave New York City-- so, I've got to convince him that a Cornell diploma really will open doors.  My mom just thinks I should take the Cardozo scholarship.  My uncle, who is a very successful lawyer, says it really doesn't matter where you go to school (within the top 100), just do what's most convenient.  Am I crazy or is this a ridiculously easy decision? Cornell. 
In: Cornell, BC, Fordham, Cardozo$$$, Temple
Out: Columbia (but they "share my disappointment"-- I hope they're O.K.?)
NYU

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help me convince my family that Cornell is the obvious choice
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 10:34:23 PM »
O.K. I've been offered admission at Cornell, Fordham, BC, and Cardozo ($22.5K/year).  My fiance doesn't want me to leave New York City-- so, I've got to convince him that a Cornell diploma really will open doors.  My mom just thinks I should take the Cardozo scholarship.  My uncle, who is a very successful lawyer, says it really doesn't matter where you go to school (within the top 100), just do what's most convenient.  Am I crazy or is this a ridiculously easy decision? Cornell. 

I would go to Cornell in a heartbeat. 

ccorsi

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 10:36:36 PM »
If your post was about Harvard or Yale and the NYC schools I would say no brainer - go to Harvard or Yale.

Cornell, while an excellent school, doesn't have as much impact for me.  Now I know that Cornell is highly ranked, but if you want to practice in NYC and you are already there - your other choices are still very good.

Did you apply to NYU?

C2

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 10:44:03 PM »
At 33, a $150,000 debt from Cornell is something to think about. It isn't as cut and dry as it seems. If this were HYSC, it would be a no brainer, though. Your mom probably doesnt want you to be riddled with debt.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

jro

• LSAT: 168 UGPA: 3.34 Age: 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 11:32:13 PM »
Ugh.  I was just HOPING it was a cut-and-dried decision.  Wishful thinking-- it's not easy. 
Yup, debt at 37 years old is different than debt at 27. To complicate matters, I want to pursue public interest law.
The thing is, I don't want to live in NYC forever.  I don't want to anchor myself to the city.  Fordham and Cardozo enjoy strong regional reputations, but I'm not sure they travel well (some southern lawyers I talked to had never even heard of Cardozo.)
Whatever.  Your educational pedigree really doesn't matter once you land your first position. All this anguish for one stupid job.
I did apply to NYU-- rejected.  I'll update my list.
In: Cornell, BC, Fordham, Cardozo$$$, Temple
Out: Columbia (but they "share my disappointment"-- I hope they're O.K.?)
NYU

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 12:14:30 AM »
Ugh.  I was just HOPING it was a cut-and-dried decision.  Wishful thinking-- it's not easy. 
Yup, debt at 37 years old is different than debt at 27. To complicate matters, I want to pursue public interest law.
The thing is, I don't want to live in NYC forever.  I don't want to anchor myself to the city.  Fordham and Cardozo enjoy strong regional reputations, but I'm not sure they travel well (some southern lawyers I talked to had never even heard of Cardozo.)
Whatever.  Your educational pedigree really doesn't matter once you land your first position. All this anguish for one stupid job.
I did apply to NYU-- rejected.  I'll update my list.

i am sorry the decision is not super easy - but it isnt

i know a guy that turned down ucla/usc for a full ride at arizona. people do that kind of thing allllll the time.

if your fiance doesnt want to leave nyc, i would imagine that would play a major part of your decision too. it should

cornell is a sweet school - congrats!  but it ISN'T harvard. that part is true. some schools you go to no matter what. harvard is one of them. cornell isnt. :-\

i could be wrong, but i hear it said your school helps get you your first job outa school. what you do after that depends on you./

i dont think a cardozo jd is a life sentence to living in nyc. just an opinion...

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 12:18:09 AM »
Isn't Fordham a better feeder school to elite firms in NYC than Cornell?

peteybetey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 12:20:57 AM »
Isn't Fordham a better feeder school to elite firms in NYC than Cornell?

From everything I've seen, this is true.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 12:25:37 AM »
(but they "share my disappointment"-- I hope they're O.K.?)

LOL...Especially because they will likely need to "share my disappointment" soon as well.

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 03:07:45 AM »

So a successful lawyer is telling you otherwise, and yet you persist?
SMU Fall '05