Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BAYLOR or KENTUCKY?  (Read 907 times)

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
BAYLOR or KENTUCKY?
« on: April 01, 2005, 10:23:35 PM »
I was notified today that I have been accepted to the Spring '06 program at Baylor. I just have to resubmit my application and I'm automatically in. I'm already in at UK for next fall with $9800 a yr in scholarship money. Baylor might offer me some money later down the road, but which school would you choose? I don't particularly like the prospect of living in Waco, TX for 3 years, but at the same time, markets like Dallas and Houston are nearby. Baylor's brutal curve is a bit upsetting as well, although Texas firms might already know this, and take it into account when hiring. UK, on the otherhand, is the premiere University in its state and probably places well everywhere in KY. Lexington is, by all accounts, a neat town that might provide a more comfortable atmosphere, and the University itself is reputable; I would probably end up with less debt as well. What should I do?

P.S. I'm WLed at W&L and Minn; I would go to either if accepted.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BAYLOR or KENTUCKY?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 10:37:05 PM »
Kentucky. Baylor is pulling one on you by having you wait until the spring, probably because they don't want your numbers to be calculated for the fall entering class

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 11:00:54 PM »
I agree.  And with a scholarship it's a no-brainer.  Have you been to Lexington?  If you haven't, I highly suggest you visit.  It's a really cool city.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 11:02:13 PM »
Kentucky is a really beautiful state, too.  Rolling hills and wonderful weather.  Four nice seasons -- but not excessive amounts of cold or heat.  Very nice weather.

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 11:43:08 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

Marco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 01:13:20 PM »
Howdy,
I'm in a similar situation.  Wait listed for the summer at Baylor, admitted for Spring (unlikely for the Fall).  I've been admitted to Arkansas with a half scholarship.  Also in at Utah and should get in at Tennessee.  (wait listed at Wake Forest and Houston).  I'm somewhat dubious about Arkansas but still, the fright of massive debt is certainly something that makes me cringe.  How do you weigh $, quality of education?  How do you decide what that quality really is?  And I also wonder about Baylor's desire to boost numbers.  I took the lsat 5 years ago...156...took it in Dec 04 with a 164...maybe in the spring they'd just have to report the latter...

On another topic or two:

1)  I've always wondered about the possibility of (eventually) having my own firm and being able to have atleast 5 or 6 weeks off a year...anyone else ever had the notion?  Of course, a pay cut may be attached to this but I'm one who has never been tied to extras in life (actually i'm at times exceedingly frugal...or flat out tight)
anyone interested in a firm that allows partners substantial amounts of time off?  If so, let's talk...

2)  Any thoughts on the best avenues to take in order to work abroad after law school?  I've spent the better part of the last 7 years living/working abroad and would love to explore more opportunities during and after school...

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 02:52:07 PM »
Ooh, Tennessee would be incredible.  Knoxville is one of the coolest cities in that part of the country.  It's beautiful too.

Marco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 03:14:49 PM »
On Tennessee, do you know much about working in TN or outside of TN after law school there?

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 03:26:16 PM »
I really don't.  I just know that Knoxville is a great place.  And one of my best friends went to grad school there and loved it.  He actually got another grad degree from Michigan, but it's Tennessee he's crazy about. 

Marco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 03:31:09 PM »
Are you leaning towards Kentucky?  Baylor?  I sway like a dern tree in a tornado!  One day Baylor, one Arkansas, one saying screw it and teaching!  I must say i'm afraid of getting locked into something that is tough to get out of...debt.  But I also know that Baylor is a very good education...as far as preparing you to work as an attorney, especially in terms of what the majority of folks end up doing...
And the graduates certainly are a tight group...my dad is one so i've got a bit of experience with that one...