Law School Discussion

2 profs necessary?

bloomich

2 profs necessary?
« on: April 01, 2005, 07:35:42 PM »
I have secured 1 professor, 1 GSI (graduate student instructor), and my honors advisor to write me recommendations... my feeling is that my GSI will write me an EXCELLENT LOR, my prof will write me at least a good LOR, and my advisor should also write me a good LOR...

Is it necessary to secure 2 profs to write LORs or is 1 prof and 1 GSI sufficient to meet the academic LOR quota... I have one other prof in mine who I could ask, but I don't anticipate his LOR being as strong as any of the aformentioned...

Should I get another LOR just to have 2 total from profs OR am I good to go as is?

Thanks in advance!

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: 2 profs necessary?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 07:41:25 PM »
the rec from the GSI is fine as far as an academic rec goes.  in fact it's better to have a glowing rec from a TA, GSI, etc., than a mediocre rec from a full-fledged professor.

however, you may want to consider securing one more rec just in case.  having 2 recs tends to be the minimum for the schools you're likely to consider.  (submitting the minimum number of recs isn't bad.  i only sent two with my apps and things have turned out well enough for me.)  having three will be better, so long as the third rec adds something that your other recs don't contribute to your file.  perhaps a rec from an employer or supervisor? 

bloomich

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 09:34:57 PM »
the rec from the GSI is fine as far as an academic rec goes.  in fact it's better to have a glowing rec from a TA, GSI, etc., than a mediocre rec from a full-fledged professor.

however, you may want to consider securing one more rec just in case.  having 2 recs tends to be the minimum for the schools you're likely to consider.  (submitting the minimum number of recs isn't bad.  i only sent two with my apps and things have turned out well enough for me.)  having three will be better, so long as the third rec adds something that your other recs don't contribute to your file.  perhaps a rec from an employer or supervisor? 

well as of now I DO have 3 LORs... 1 from a Prof, 1 from a GSI, and 1 from honors advisor...

I'm thinking about if I need a fourth.. or a third "academic" as honors academic advisor wouldn't count as "academic" as I never had a class taught by her...

for my fourth LOR, I could potentially get a decent LOR from a prof I have right now OR a letter from the director of my mentorship/volunteer program (I have doubts she could write a complete sentence much less an eloquent, detailed account of my wonderfulness) OR a letter from the general manager of the restauarant at which I worked last summer...

in truth, none of the fourth LOR options promise to be that great... I have mixed feelings about my current prof... I like my volunteer supervisor and I think she could give a nice account of my volunteer contributions, but I don't think she can write... and while my general manager always told me how many compliments she got on my work and how good of a job I always did, I also have doubts regarding her writing ability...

WHICH OF THESE OPTIONS, if any, SHOULD I PURSUE?

InVinoVeritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 09:39:08 PM »
i would stick with the two really good LORs and then save the third LOR just in case my app got held or I got waitlisted and the school invited me to submit additional information.

bloomich

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 09:40:20 PM »
i would stick with the two really good LORs and then save the third LOR just in case my app got held or I got waitlisted and the school invited me to submit additional information.

oh really?  i was going to send all three right away... is it better to hold back?

InVinoVeritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 09:48:15 PM »
that's really up to you.  i would hold back if i knew i'd have a hard time securing another solid rec if i found myself in the position of getting waitlisted or held.  it's a risk, but personally, a risk i would be willing to take.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 11:03:48 AM »
I would just send all three right from the beginning; they can only help you if they are good