Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where should I go?  (Read 2815 times)

ccorsi

Re: Where should I go?
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2005, 02:09:29 PM »
I don't think we can use jejune in Jersey. 

Hey buddy jejune this!

Just doesn't flow all that well :)

C2

COASTAL

• Can't stand work anymore, must get out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2005, 02:34:01 PM »
WOW,

You attracted a large number of haters. 
In case people forgot, we live in  a free country.  People could apply to a all the aba schools if they want. If they want to waste their time, why do you care?  No one is taking the spot of another in direct correlation, if you had soft numbers that's what you expect.  You expect to wait.
About going for schools that look impossible, let people dream or set their goals high.  Stop hating.  It is below everyone on this site.  We all want to go to the schools we worked hard to apply to.  So let us not cause each other more stress.

Back to the point of issue.

I would think you my want to goto USD.  Very good regional reputation (Southern Cal).  Second choice whould be Loyola.

I personally would consider Cardozo and GMU before Loyola, but if you want Cali schools, that is your second choice.

Postal, will go Coastal, due to slow Postal from law schools!!!!!! $#@%!*$)#

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2005, 02:34:16 PM »
SGY - Just to clarify, I feel very blessed that my parents can afford to loan me this money so that I don't have to take as many loans. I am very well aware of my friends who don't have that luxury and have to work for every dollar they have to pay for their tuition. I know that I am lucky that my parents worked hard so that I could have more opportunities than they did. Should I refuse my parents money and take out high interest loans? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

As for the app fees and lsac fees, I paid for all that on my own because I work for a living and I have the right to spend my money as I please. I could have spent that money on pricey electronics, that new computer I really really wanted or that vacation I was supposed to take with my best friend but instead I chose to use it towards applying to law school because this decision is very very important to me. A few posts ago someone guessed right. I applied to 15 schools at first thinking I was hitting the range of the 2.82/164 targets, safeties and reaches knowing that my GPA is a toss-up and a 164 probably wasn't enough at a lot of the schools. I didn't want to risk a bunch of rejections and waitlists because I am certain I want to attend law school this year.

Then I took the December LSAT and brought my average up 6 points, sending me into a whole other spectrum of schools. I did do my research which is what led me to the last 16 I applied to. I did do my research or else I would have applied to the last 16 thinking I had a shot with my 164 in October. Yes, many of them were reaches, but most of the schools I chose either looked at the higher LSAT and/or was a dream school (NYU, Columbia and Penn) that I would not want to wonder "what-if"? Maybe that isn't the choice you would make, but that was the choice I made.

You have seen several stories across this board of people getting into schools they would never have dreamt of taking them and schools who have rejected what most would think were perfect applicants. I worked overtime on the weekends so that I could pay these app fees and I don't regret even if you think I am spoiled for doing so.

I wish I were psychic and knew what the ad comms would think of my app before having to spend all that money. I wish I knew I wanted to practice in California which would have cut down my apps by a LOT, many of which I have withdrawn because I am more aware of where I want to be.

You can pick apart this post if you like, and make me feel responsible for the poverty in our country and in foreign countries as if you knew that I am not aware nor ever contributed to organizations who fight towards improving the conditions of those who are less fortunate. I have said my piece.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2005, 02:36:07 PM »
A lot of you are attacking the me, but not many of you are actually addressing what I said.  Whether it's hypocritical for me to say what I said and whether I'm an a-hole -- these are side issues.  What I said remains true.  

I struggle to figure out how to live in America in a moral way.  I don't necessarily believe that everyone must be economically equal, but I do think people deserve to have their basic needs met, wherever they might live.  And it just so happens that there are billions of people who live in poverty (i.e. without basic necessities) in this world.
All while I have a laptop (albeit an old laptop) and drink fancy coffees.  And do I think I'm part of the problem?  Probably.  But at least I'm trying my best to think about it.  

I find it sad that you, ilsox, think it's totally useless to discuss such issues -- that it will never change.  It bothers me that human beings are the cause of suffering for other human beings -- and somehow we all forget this.  And if you're not the one suffering, it's pretty easy to just conclude that it's part of life and won't ever change.  Tough sh*t for all those poor schmucks, right?

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2005, 02:39:40 PM »
By the way, assh*le got turned to the word "meanie" there.  Odd

Boolsae

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2005, 02:42:25 PM »
Regarding this situation.  I think if you want to apply to 50 f-ing schools and can afford to do so, go right ahead.  If you honestly believe in your heart that you'd take one of any of those 50 schools, then by all means apply.  (It's bull to think that, but if really believe that any one of 50 schools would be a good fit, apply.)

However, the OP irks me cause she knew she wanted to practice in CA, and will probably end up doing so.  So why apply to *&^% schools out of state?  But anyways, that's my take on the situation.

Now, for the OP's original question, considering you'd actually do an EXCEL spreadsheet breakdown on costs makes it seems as though you are really anal about how much law schools is going to cost you.  Looks like USD would be a nice, cheap, SOCAL option, so I'd go with them.  IF you aren't THAT anal about Socal, I'd take the money at UIUC.

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2005, 02:45:34 PM »
SGY - I also have to add that I completely agree with you that many Americans are ignorant of the suffering in foreign countries.

My few firsthand experiences include visits to Vietnam and Mexico, but even they have some freedoms that other countries do not. There is so much suffering and it is hard to live your life day to day when every burger you spent 5 extra dollars on because you had to eat lunch with your co-workers at a nice restaurant or every $11 plate of pasta you consume could have been a meal cooked at home for much less could have been money better spent saving one child from hunger or disease. I have seen what a small contribution can do to change a person's life from organizations such as The Smile Train and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. It does take so little to help change a person's whole life.

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2005, 02:46:54 PM »
However, the OP irks me cause she knew she wanted to practice in CA, and will probably end up doing so.  So why apply to sh*t schools out of state?  But anyways, that's my take on the situation.

See above postings.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2005, 02:47:20 PM »
I know that I am lucky that my parents worked hard so that I could have more opportunities than they did.

People who run into good fortune more or less by accident love to rationalize their good fortune.  I'm sure your parents work hard.  But a lot of people work hard.  Face it, you're lucky -- it's more because of chance than your parents hard work.

As for the app fees and lsac fees, I paid for all that on my own because I work for a living and I have the right to spend my money as I please. I could have spent that money on pricey electronics, that new computer I really really wanted or that vacation I was supposed to take with my best friend but instead I chose to use it towards applying to law school because this decision is very very important to me.

Yes, or you could have spent it on someone other than yourself.  Just a thought.  But then, we Americans are selfish enough that it probably wouldn't occur to us to share more and take less for ourselves.  And I don't think it makes me a communist to think this...

God, I never can get over how people rationalize their gluttony.  Jeez!  

I mean -- I do it too.  But at least I'm aware of it and trying to grow -- instead of just in denial.  

ilsox7

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2005, 02:50:58 PM »

I find it sad that you, ilsox, think it's totally useless to discuss such issues -- that it will never change.  It bothers me that human beings are the cause of suffering for other human beings -- and somehow we all forget this.  And if you're not the one suffering, it's pretty easy to just conclude that it's part of life and won't ever change.  Tough sh*t for all those poor schmucks, right?

So when did I say it's useless to discuss this?  I only said that this was not the proper forum to discuss this issue in.  As for your conclusion that I say "tough *&^% for all those poor schmucks?"  How do you know that's what I think?  All I said is that it's a sad reality that this is how the world is and that it is very unlikely for things to change.  I never said that I am happy that's how things are, I just commented on what reality is. 

And do I think I'm part of the problem?  Probably.  But at least I'm trying my best to think about it. 

No offense, but thinking about it doesn't mean a damn thing.  If you're so hung up on this issue, then sell your laptop and donate that money to a charity.  Forget law school and go to the Peace Corps.  But do not come on here and tell me I am "sad" because I recognize what the reality of the situation is.  You're very hypocritical coming on here, acting all high and mighty about the suffering of humans throughout the world, telling people how to spend their money and offering that they should be giving that money to the less fortunate, when you could very easily sell that laptop and donate that money to charity.  And guess what?  This is NOT a side issue.  You PERSONALLY attacked people for applying to a ton of schools by saying that money should be used better.  We then turned it back on you, saying that there are plenty of things in your life that you could go without to help those suffering.

If you want to make this a discussion about human suffering around the Globe, let's take it to the general forum, where it will be a much different discussion.  You, however, started a discussion relating spending money on applications as opposed to spending that money to help those suffering.  That's the discussion that YOU started, not me or anyone else.  When we then tun the argument right back at you, you claim you are being attacked and the issue is not being addressed.