Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where should I go?  (Read 3026 times)

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
Where should I go?
« on: April 01, 2005, 09:30:23 PM »
Well, since my first thread on LSD was "Where Should I Apply?" I thought it'd be appropriate to make a thread about where I should go. You can see all the schools I've been accepted to below. Here are the details about me:

1) I am a California girl. I would like to practice IN California after law school, preferably in Southern California. If I can transfer laterally eventually, that's fine too, but I prefer not to go through that process.

2) Being able to get a job easily is 2nd to Location on my priority list. I need a school that has a good OCI program and an involved career services department.

3) Third on my list is getting a high paying job. I don't plan on having a family any time soon so I am willing to put in the hours for a higher paying job. I know this is kind of superficial for someone who doesn't have a family to take care of, but it is important to me.

4) I have an interest in IP, Real Estate and Entertainment Law. I am not sure which yet until I start taking classes so I'd prefer a school with a broad curriculum that can take care of my wide array of interests and my own uncertainty.

5) The cost of the school isn't THAT big of a priority for me since my parents will cover the bill until I can pay it back so I won't be in debt in the traditional sense since they aren't going to charge me interest. However, I would like to minimize the money they have to put out for me to go to law school.

6) I am not big on a cutthroat competitive environment. I like being challenged by my peers but not to the point where I am miserable.

I have a sense of where I want to go, but any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance :)

Love,
Q

ccorsi

Re: Where should I go?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:39:50 PM »
I can't believe you applied to 31 schools.  What a collosal waste of time for all those schools to have to evaluate you for 1 potential seat.

I don't think I am going to waste any time to help you.  Why don't you email 31 of your closest friends and ask them.

C2

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »
I can't believe you applied to 31 schools. What a collosal waste of time for all those schools to have to evaluate you for 1 potential seat.

I don't think I am going to waste any time to help you. Why don't you email 31 of your closest friends and ask them.

C2

Yes, I've already responded to your annoyance of people who apply to a ton of schools. It wasn't a waste of time to me because it was worth the peace of mind of knowing that I tried even if I didn't get in. On top of that, most of those apps were done when I had a 164 LSAT which is a whole different spectrum of target schools than a 170 average LSAT.

ccorsi

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 09:45:38 PM »
Let's follow that logic to its eventual conclusion then.  We should all apply to every ABA school so we can have complete peace of mind.

I mean seriously, where do you draw the line?

How many undergrad schools did you apply to?

C2

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 09:47:40 PM »
5 undergrad schools.

I never said EVERYONE should apply. I said I wanted to apply for peace of mind. This was not a logic issue for me.

Eegahh

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 09:53:41 PM »
Let's follow that logic to its eventual conclusion then.  We should all apply to every ABA school so we can have complete peace of mind.

I mean seriously, where do you draw the line?

How many undergrad schools did you apply to?

C2

Follow this logic to its eventual conclusion:  You're a prick.
Deposit down: Case Western
Waitlist....Ugh: W&M, Hastings (IN!!!! Whooo!)

ccorsi

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 10:14:02 PM »
Perhaps by your definition I may be a 'prick'.

My definition of a 'prick' would be someone who skews and slows the law school admission process for everyone by applying to 20+ schools.  It is a selfish and egomaniacal act in my opinion.

If that makes me a 'prick' - so be it.

C2

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 10:18:01 PM »
I would pick either Cardozo or Washington St. Louis.  But your CA preference makes USD attractive. 

Well, since my first thread on LSD was "Where Should I Apply?" I thought it'd be appropriate to make a thread about where I should go. You can see all the schools I've been accepted to below. Here are the details about me:

1) I am a California girl. I would like to practice IN California after law school, preferably in Southern California. If I can transfer laterally eventually, that's fine too, but I prefer not to go through that process.

2) Being able to get a job easily is 2nd to Location on my priority list. I need a school that has a good OCI program and an involved career services department.

3) Third on my list is getting a high paying job. I don't plan on having a family any time soon so I am willing to put in the hours for a higher paying job. I know this is kind of superficial for someone who doesn't have a family to take care of, but it is important to me.

4) I have an interest in IP, Real Estate and Entertainment Law. I am not sure which yet until I start taking classes so I'd prefer a school with a broad curriculum that can take care of my wide array of interests and my own uncertainty.

5) The cost of the school isn't THAT big of a priority for me since my parents will cover the bill until I can pay it back so I won't be in debt in the traditional sense since they aren't going to charge me interest. However, I would like to minimize the money they have to put out for me to go to law school.

6) I am not big on a cutthroat competitive environment. I like being challenged by my peers but not to the point where I am miserable.

I have a sense of where I want to go, but any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance :)

FINANCIAL BREAKDOWN OF EACH SCHOOL

Love,
Q

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 10:21:18 PM »
michaelduke - thanks! I am visiting Cardozo in a week so hopefully I have a better idea of them soon :)

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 10:43:30 PM »
I can't believe you applied to 31 schools.  What a collosal waste of time for all those schools to have to evaluate you for 1 potential seat.

I don't think I am going to waste any time to help you.  Why don't you email 31 of your closest friends and ask them.

C2

Why the hostility? Maybe because someone (you) have not been accepted to any school and it's already April....

Starresky: I would go to Loyola or USD based off of your plans. Do a search on martindale.com and you'll see that grads from there place well all over southern California