Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hold at Maryland  (Read 4454 times)

dbtb05

• View Profile
Re: Hold at Maryland
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 01:19:46 PM »
just wondering with your numbers why you didnt consider GW seeing as you want to stay local.  that was by far my top choice but i didnt score well enough on the lsat for it to be realistic (161). if i had your score..

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 04:42:38 PM »
I am on hold at Maryland too.  Are you sure there is a difference between hold and waitlist?  Also what do you like about U of Maryland so much?

Yep, there definintely is a difference. I asked an admissions officer that very question (because I thought the letter was just a nice way of saying "you're waitlisted") and they told me it wasn't. They actually do have a waitlist and we're above that.

I've just really liked the faculty/staff/students I've met and the clinical program.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

thisis1984

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 08:06:13 PM »
Thisis1984 I think we are in the same class this semester with Graber.  I am in the 11 o'clock discussion.  If you got into Berkely, then you are def. making the right decision to turn down umd.  I will probably go to umd if I get in off hold cause I do want to practice in state.  If I don't get into Maryland, I am on like 5 more waitlists at schools like gmu, w&m and w&l so maybe one of those call up.  More likely though I will end up going to Temple or Chicago Kent.  See you in class Monday.

I graduated in December, so I doubt we're in the same class.  I bet you'll get off hold (you have great numbers for UMD!) and good luck with it.  But also, in the future, pls respond to PMs with another PM, not in the general thread.  Thanks  :)

KirbytheWhite

• View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 05:21:39 PM »
Hi, I was wondering how many students they let off of the "on-hold" list at UMD. It's my #1 choice school, so I'd do anything to get in and off the hold list. Does anyone have any ideas? I've sent them a letter of interest, emailed them plenty, and gotten another professor to write me a LOR. What do you think that my chances are of getting in? How many people are on hold there, and does it still mean you can be rejected if you're on hold? I'm a little unclear on that....

Stats:
GPA: 3.705 in biology
LSAT: (155+162), avg. 159
EC: volunteer work, research

Thanks so much for any advice in advance! :)

dbtb05

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 06:05:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure that after the deposit deadline you will either be admitted or moved to the regular waitlist.  Are you in-state?

DOCLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 10:10:36 PM »
University of Maryland is my 1st choice also.   Placed on their WL in Feb :(.   When I visited Maryland they told me that if you are placed on Hold then you will either be admitted or moved to the WL.  No one is rejected directly off hold.   However, you can be rejected directly off of WL :o
Last year a friend of mine was placed on hold then was moved to WL and eventually was accepted the first week in June.   

KirbytheWhite

• View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 12:28:53 PM »
Hi dbt05, I'm from MA, so I'm out of state and I'm not sure what out-of-staters' chances are. Thank you so much for the help :)

KirbytheWhite

• View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 12:32:15 PM »
University of Maryland is my 1st choice also.   Placed on their WL in Feb :(.   When I visited Maryland they told me that if you are placed on Hold then you will either be admitted or moved to the WL.  No one is rejected directly off hold.   However, you can be rejected directly off of WL :o
Last year a friend of mine was placed on hold then was moved to WL and eventually was accepted the first week in June.   

Good Luck DOCLAW!! I understand completely how it must feel to be on their waitlist, and thank you so much for sharing the encouraging story with me :)  I hope that we both get in soon! :)

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 01:06:39 PM »
Did you guys put down deposits elsewhere to play it safe?
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

beanbeangirl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 03:47:01 PM »
I just sent my deposit to Whittier Law School but I really want to go to University of Maryland, giving that I would like to practice in D.C.