Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grade Curves  (Read 3212 times)

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Grade Curves
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2005, 04:53:39 PM »
This is straight from Catholic's course manual:

"In first year courses it shall accord with a mean falling between the range of 2.8-3.0 and a median of B/B-"

This sounds pretty normal right?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

ErinKG

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2005, 10:49:44 PM »
FYI for those considering L&C - they recently (I think the day before the Preview) changed the curve from 2.85 to 3.0. I'm guessing that those of us that got scholarships requiring a 2.85 are locked into that and all future scholarships will be bases on a 3.0. Yeehaw!

Erin

LaneSwerver

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2005, 10:51:57 PM »

I give it an A+ if you're a pudgy girl trying to drop a few pounds...

ccorsi

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2005, 11:01:10 PM »
Anyone know Rutgers-Newark's curve? 

Or as previously requested - Seton Hall.

Thanks,

C2

the REAL desi

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2005, 11:14:20 PM »
A given hiring partner has no real clue that a 3.2 at X State is the equivalent of a 2.8 at Y University--so, a graduate from X State would have the advantage.

No, they wouldn't.  A 3.2 at School X is top Half, while the 3.2 at School Y may be top 25%.  Curve is irrelevant.  It's the class rank that matters.  Don't fool yourself.  If your school curves to a B, and you get a B- in a class, it's like you got a D.

kristay

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2005, 01:25:52 AM »
Anyone know Rutgers-Newark's curve? 

Or as previously requested - Seton Hall.

Thanks,

C2

Seton Hall has shifted from a 2.7 curve to a 3.0 curve.

ormachea

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2005, 05:07:46 PM »
A given hiring partner has no real clue that a 3.2 at X State is the equivalent of a 2.8 at Y University--so, a graduate from X State would have the advantage.

No, they wouldn't.  A 3.2 at School X is top Half, while the 3.2 at School Y may be top 25%.  Curve is irrelevant.  It's the class rank that matters.  Don't fool yourself.  If your school curves to a B, and you get a B- in a class, it's like you got a D.

Some schools (NYU for one) don't give out ranking information. That means the student can't put it down on their resume and the hiring partner has no idea what a 3.2 means. I agree that with some, the curve doesn' matter.

the REAL desi

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »

Some schools (NYU for one) don't give out ranking information. That means the student can't put it down on their resume and the hiring partner has no idea what a 3.2 means. I agree that with some, the curve doesn' matter.

of course.  i don't think these schools let you put your GPA on the resume either.  but the firms will ask for your transcript (and will figure out whether you are t.t.t. or meet their expectations).

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2005, 05:21:37 PM »
those points aren't necessarily true. at fordham, there is no official ranking, but students ARE allowed to report GPA on their resume, and recruiters receive approximate breakdowns (top 5% = X, 10% = Y, 25% = Z).

the REAL desi

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2005, 05:23:40 PM »
those points aren't necessarily true. at fordham, there is no official ranking, but students ARE allowed to report GPA on their resume, and recruiters receive approximate breakdowns (top 5% = X, 10% = Y, 25% = Z).

if you are allowed to report your GPA and you don't, the firms will automatically think you are t.t.t.  and if you do report your GPA, and recruiters receive the breakdown, well then it's just like every other school (except Penn)