Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulane Vs. Pittsburgh  (Read 1253 times)

Pioneer48

• View Profile
    • Email
Tulane Vs. Pittsburgh
« on: April 01, 2005, 01:24:19 PM »
So I'm trying to decide between attending Tulane or the University of Pittsburgh.  I've got $8,000 at Pitt and no money from Tulane, combine that with Pitts in-state tuition and Pitt would be considerably cheaper for me than Tulane.

I'm changing my mind every day about these two schools, so if anyone could give me their two cents as to the advantages/disadvantages of these two schools, that'd be great. 

Thanks.

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tulane Vs. Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 01:45:16 PM »
Your career plans? 

So I'm trying to decide between attending Tulane or the University of Pittsburgh.  I've got $8,000 at Pitt and no money from Tulane, combine that with Pitts in-state tuition and Pitt would be considerably cheaper for me than Tulane.

I'm changing my mind every day about these two schools, so if anyone could give me their two cents as to the advantages/disadvantages of these two schools, that'd be great. 

Thanks.

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 04:53:06 PM »
Your career prospects will be a lot better coming out of Tulane.  Yeah, the debt will be a pain,but if you come out w. a $125k job in NYC, isn't it worth it?  Plus, New Orleans is such a cool place to live, no one wants to live in Pittsburgh...having visited Tulane, the overall sense I got was that they're a school on the way up.  They jumped 14 places in those stupid US News rankings this yr.  The clincs they offer are awesome (students who are good enough have actually ended up arguing before the LA supreme court)the journal oppourtunites are great, facilities kick ass.  It's just a really fun, great place ot go to school. 
   Don't take my word, go to the book store and look up both schools in the "Law School Vault Book" where they have recent alumni talking about their experiences, see what you think.  Come to Tulane.  If we finish in the bottom of the class, hell, I'll have a friend to talk to in debtors prison, but DEFINTELY don't turn down Tulane until you've seen it and researched it on martindale.com 
3.66, 164, non-URM
IN @ Tulane, Vandy, Oregon
WL@ wash and lee, bill and meg,Emory, WUSTL, BC
Going to TULANE (90% sure)

Tpie82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 05:01:42 PM »
I can't imagine he has less chance of getting a 125k NYC job out of Pitt.  Pittsburgh may not be as wild and crazy as New Orleans (which isn't much good for law students anyway), but it is certainly not the case that "no one wants to live in Pittsburgh".  I was not impressed by New Orleans, personally.   

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 05:14:22 PM »
well, different strokes for different folks, but I still maintain that just on name alone, people are going to recognize the "Tulane Law" name way the hell faster than "Pitt Law." I persoanlly find that ew Orleans has a history, has character, and the city itself just reminds me of being in Europe.  Plus I'd rather be wearing shorts in January than freezing my ass off in PA and smelling the fumes from the steel mills.  But, respectfully, to each his own...
3.66, 164, non-URM

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 05:24:52 PM »
I would also note that the according to the 2005 princeton review bk, The U of Pit grads have an avg starting salary of $71,000 vs. Tulane's $88,000 ....if you go to martindale.com and look for people at top NY firms pitt v. Tulane, Tulane by far wins out.  So, yes, I would inf act say that someone has a better chance of mking $125 k in NYC coming out of Tulane than Pitt.  Of course, if you're not at the top of your class at either, the point is moot anyway, but the chances are better at Tulane.
  Also, how can you not be impressed by a city which advertises that its founding fathers were murderists, rapists, the mentally ill, and tax cheats forced to the New Orleans settlement at gun point from the Bastille prison in Paris? 
3.66, 164, non-URM

Tpie82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 06:02:26 PM »
Well, the fact that you said anything about "smelling the fumes of the steel mills" sort of discredits you in my mind as an objective participant here.  Anyway, those avg. salaries are actually very similar, cause I am guessing that COL in Pittsburgh is somewhat less than New Orleans (just a hunch since I live in Pittsburgh and have visited that area as well).  If you are from the south, I guess Tulane law might be more recognizeable, but I will tell you from my experience that the same is true for Pitt in most of the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic region.

In the end, both of these schools are mostly regional in reputation, but clearly solid from an academic standpoint.  I would suggest, to the OP, just picking the region where you want to live and going from there.

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 08:10:30 PM »
well, different strokes for different folks, but I still maintain that just on name alone, people are going to recognize the "Tulane Law" name way the hell faster than "Pitt Law." I persoanlly find that ew Orleans has a history, has character, and the city itself just reminds me of being in Europe.  Plus I'd rather be wearing shorts in January than freezing my ass off in PA and smelling the fumes from the steel mills.  But, respectfully, to each his own...

1. Pittsburgh doesn't have steel mills anymore.  Most closed down close to thirty years ago.

2. New Orleans summers are precisely 149X less bearable than Pittsburgh winters.

3. If you want European culture, Pittsburgh has it a lot more than New Orleans.  NOLA has southern culture mixed with party culture.  The history here consists in a city being built on one of the most historically appalling periods.

4. I agree, to each his/her own.  But to most/anyone not particularly concerned with partying hardcore in a roach-filled craphole . . . Pittsburgh.

5. Actually, maintain your preference for NOLA and Tulane and NYC.  It will help those who share the saner view in the end.

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 11:42:55 PM »

3. If you want European culture, Pittsburgh has it a lot more than New Orleans.  NOLA has southern culture mixed with party culture.  The history here consists in a city being built on one of the most historically appalling periods.

Please, for the love of god dont let this person have offspring...

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 11:44:17 PM »

Are you huffing paint or something?