Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: RC horrible...any improvement?!?!?!?  (Read 2064 times)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: RC horrible...any improvement?!?!?!?
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 11:33:01 PM »
I think the key to improve RC is to read a lot of different books and magazines.

i am absolutely horrible at those science passages, like those rocks/caves and chemical formulas and stuff....

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 11:32:58 AM »
Hrm... So I need to read books/mags/op-ed in the next 2 weeks.  Somehow I think it's a lost cause.  :( I think I need to rely on 100% LG to balance the scale.  I guess there are some things an engineering undergrad degree prepares you for.  ;)
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

kismet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 07:48:18 PM »
Thalky,

Your scores are great. How did you study?

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 11:47:37 AM »
I used to do the LG sections for fun, before even thinking about taking the test, so I never really studied those.  The LR sections I took other posters' advice on reading the question to identify what they were looking for before reading the short argument(s).  The RC, psha, I only do well on science related passages, but I picked up the Economist and am reading that cover to cover 'cause ppl said it helps get you in the mindset.  I'm unplugging my TV for the next 2 weeks (well except for the Sopranos finale).
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

mike7682

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 04:20:28 PM »
RC was my best section of the LSAT as well (only missed one).  I think the fact that I just finished a masters program prior to taking the test really helped me a lot (at least 3-4 books required reading per week). 
I would suggest reading a wide variety of magazines, especially those dealing with the hard sciences and history (those topics seemed to be favorites of the test makers).  There was a thread dealing with this topic in the past (I believe) and someone felt as though they were able to improve their RC score by reading the first sentence of each paragraph before reading the entire passage as a whole.  I personally found the whole "trick" route rather time consuming and preferred to "freestyle" it.  Good luck!!!

Which Hard Science and History magazines would you recommend?

pross1492

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 09:36:17 AM »
i think scientific american is the best.  the political mags tend to be a little too entertaining and interesting.  sci am is very detail oriented and technical.  good practice.