Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn or Tulane  (Read 710 times)

brw7882

• View Profile
Brooklyn or Tulane
« on: April 01, 2005, 12:43:35 PM »
I am having lots of trouble deciding between Brooklyn(11.5k) and Tulane (10k). Anyone have any insight. I went to tulane undergrad and i like new orleans but i grew up in NY so i have love for both places.... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ccorsi

Re: Brooklyn or Tulane
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 12:45:37 PM »
Where do you want to work?

If in NYC - then no question, go to Brooklyn.

If you want to stay in the South - go to Tulane.

C2

brw7882

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 12:46:58 PM »
I am not really sure where i want to work and if i necessarily want to work in a firm.  I have aspirations to go into the Music industry or into real estate.  I guess that makes it a little more complicated.

jziv2626

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 01:14:10 PM »
go to TULANE.

Not only does tulane place VERY well in NYC, but it also places well throughout the country which is something brooklyn can't even come close to.  Besides, tulane is a much better school.

ewrwalton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 02:25:13 PM »
I'm kind of in the same exact situation right now getting 15k from each school. I'm leaning toward Brooklyn because form what I hear, they place extremely well in NYC, have nice new facilities, and is in a good location. I'm planning on visiting Tulane to learn some more about that school.

brw7882

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 02:37:01 PM »
Having seen both, Brooklyn visiting and Tulane because i obviously spent 4 years there, I would have to say that Tulane has nicer facilities.  Brooklyn has a brand new dorm opening which is a nice touch, but overall tulane is a nicer building with more light and is less depressing.  In terms of Location, i am not such a huge fan of where Brooklyn is. Park Slope is awesome, but the exact area of Brooklyn is a little bit away from where the cool stuff is. General appearance of the location has to go to tulane as well, but i am not sure that appearance should be the defining reason to go to one over the other.

winslow757

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 04:38:36 PM »
Brooklyn Heights is a really nice neighborhood in Brooklyn. Plus, it's extremely close to downtown Manhattan (takes about 5 minutes on the 2,3,F,4, or 6 trains to get there). It's not far from Park Slope and Prospect Park either, so you sort of get the best of both worlds.

If you want to work in NYC, do not take the advice that you should go to Tulane because they place well everywhere. That rule of thought is only true for T14 schools, maybe T25. If you want to work in NY, go to school there.
Accepted: Brooklyn w/17.5K, Suffolk, NYLS w/ 20K
Pending: Northeastern, Cardozo, American
Rejected: GW, Fordham (no surprise there)

158+164/3.74

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 04:40:33 PM »
Tulane...it has great NYC connections. Grads placed very well there, but it's also got a better rep nationally than Brooklyn...also, the cost of living will be cheaper if you are worried at all about expenses.

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 05:01:24 PM »
Take the Tulane $ and run like you were being chased.  I'm from NYC..do you know what the past 3 winters have been like up there? Plus, the bkln battery is has now gone up to $4.50 each way.
     I mean, clearly you went to Tulane , I don't know what your UG expereince was, but it seems like the law school is a lot different from the UG in that the overall rate of jerkoffism is much lower, the people at the law school seemed real cool.  Plus, in NYC, Bklyn has the rep of a third tier toilet...people who don't keep up with the rankings don't realize that Tulane is ranked pretty near to Bklyn, the national rep is just far superior...take the tulane money and don't look back
3.66, 164, non-URM
IN @ Tulane, Vandy, Oregon
WL@ wash and lee, bill and meg,Emory, WUSTL, BC
Going to TULANE (90% sure)

ewrwalton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 06:22:02 PM »
Waitlist, according to who...people on this board, people at the schools, or people who actually hire lawyers? It is my impression that Brooklyn does better than Cardozo for big law, and is well represented in that area.