Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some guidance...Taking the LSAT this June, maybe October  (Read 1672 times)

cyim123

• Nevada-Reno, BS/CS 3.63 GPA
    • MSN Messenger - cyim123@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
This is my first post so here goes.  I don't want to be repetitive but I need some help.  I have been studying for about a month and a half for the June LSAT.  I went through the "Master the LSAT" book but I think I need to go over it again because my scores haven't been promising.  I started a week ago taking the "10 actual LSATs" and my scores having been ranging from 144-151 (about 5 tests taken - about 8-10 right on LR, 12-15 right on RC, and 15-17 right on LG.  I will probably take every test offered by the LSAT).  This is not the range that I would like to be in (would like to achieve 160-170).  I know it's early but it is depressing to continuely receive these scores when I know I can do better.  I just graduated from the University of Nevada, Reno with a BS in Computer Science (3.63 GPA) and the only test prep here is Kaplan.  Now from what I heard from friends and on this discussion board, this is not the best option to take but I am beginning to get desperate.  I know that they offer private tutoring and was considering on taking the 25 hour course for $3000 before the June test.  The other option is to keep practicing all summer and be prepared for the October test, but still take the June test to see how I fare and cancel it.

Now my question is, what is the best method to study for this frickin test because I have no idea on how to get my scores up (buy books, take online courses, pray...).  I will continuelly take tests, but my concern is that they will be in the same mediocre range.  Could you please give me ideas on how to best prepare for this test (provide the most effective mean on cracking this test)  Any advice would be helpful...

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
Re: Need some guidance...Taking the LSAT this June, maybe October
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 09:32:05 AM »
If I were you, b/c time is running short, I would either NOT take the June LSAT or take it and cancel it...make the October one be the one that counts.  And I know that some people have mentioned bad experiences with Kaplan...but I can honestly say that that I had a POSITIVE experience with Kaplan...Not only did I learn helpful tools, etc... but even just going to the class provided me with some disciplined structure to follow for studying...

riceowl

• 3.93; June 14;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 10:43:33 AM »
I agree with boxergirl.  I have been considering resceduling for October, and my scores range from 159-168.  You need more time to test, and spending the summer studying would certainly be beneficial.

I would not, however, recommend dropping thousands of dollars on a Kaplan course.  I have not personally taken Kaplan (only PR), but believe that all courses are waste of money (except for PowerScore or Testmaster).  I mentioned on another post that I have learned more from Nova's "Master the LSAT" than I did after seven weeks of taking the Princeton Review's LSAT course. 
155-154-168-159-167-165-164-161(ouch)

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 11:11:43 AM »
I highly recommend taking the Kaplan Course - but then again, I am a Kaplan instructor...the Kaplan course is the best, IMHO, because of the wealth of materials offered during the course, including EVERY single LSAT that has been released, along with answers AND explanations. Also, every question you will see for the duration of the course comes from a real LSAT. There are also many online workshops to provide even more section-specific practice.

Another benefit of the Kaplan course is the Higher Score Guarantee - this guarantee has three components:

1 - If you are not ready, you can take the course again for free

2 - If your score goes up but you are not satisfied, you can take the course again for free

3 - If your score goes down, you can take the course again for free or receive a full tuition refund.

The guarantee is great because it affords you extra time to study and make use of all the materials if you feel you are not ready - for example, if you aren't ready in October, study again and take the December test (although best case scenario you take the October test, so you can apply early).

This is your career. The LSAT is the MOST IMPORTANT factor used in law school admissions. If the Kaplan course helps to improve your score 5+ points, then the investment will pay for itself many times over.

Hope this helps.

Hazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 11:17:21 AM »
I'm in a similar boat.  I would just do what I'm doing:  Study like crazy and prepare for the June LSAT.  If I'm not scoring where I need to be by June 10-12, then I'm pushing it to October. 

I'm in a Princeton Review class.  It's overall a waste of a money.  I've had a similar experience to Riceowl...Nova's book has been a lot more helpful than the class.  The class goes incredible slow.  We will spend half an hour going over just one game...

I'd like to take the test in October...Powerscore's Logical Reasoning Bible will be out by then.  But, I'm the president of my fraternity and once school starts I won't have a lot of extra time to study.  So June is the best time for me if I'm prepared...

Anyway, Goodluck. 

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 12:50:08 PM »
I am also taking the PR right now. So far, it has been some what of a waste of time. The pace is slow, as others mentioned. I have noticed that my scores are fluctuating on the practice test, and I am getting frustrated with the entire process. I paid the money, so I am stuck in the class for the time being, I just hope something miraculous happens by the end of the class and I learn something truly useful.

Good luck.

~K
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

cyim123

• Nevada-Reno, BS/CS 3.63 GPA
    • MSN Messenger - cyim123@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 03:47:29 PM »
Thank you for the advice.  I think I will keep on trucking for the June LSAT. 

Also, if I don't keep the score from the test, then I think I will do Powerscore in DC because I will be there for the summer.  If I do the PS course then do I need to buy the LG or LR bible?

But has anyone done the tutoring from Kaplan and would it be more effective than PowerScore full course?

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 04:01:27 PM »
Wait until October. You can't loose anything by taking the LSAT then, but you could be unprepared and mess up the June LSAT.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 05:54:28 PM »
I only took the weekend PS course, but all materials were included.  Also, according to their website, they never charge extra for materials.  it's all included.

Granted, I don't think the LG or LR Bible is included in their materials, but they probably encourage it for further study (my instructor did, anyway).  From what I got from the weekend course, having worked through the LG Bible before the class, the Bibles would only serve to reinforce the concepts covered in class and in the course material. (Definitely not a bad thing!!)

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 06:16:10 PM »
i recommend not taking a course.  my friends threw away $1000 on the PR course, and I got a better score.  order as many of those preptests as you can, set a schedule, and stick to it.  i took a test one day, then spent the next day going over every answer to find why i was right or wrong.  eventually you start to instinctively pick the right answers, because you understand how the questions work.  i went from a 151 to a 166, on alot of the preptests i was breaking 170 (test-day stress is a female dog).
i also recommend the Nova book Mastering the Lsat, and rescheduling your exam for a later date.
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?