Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DePaul Law  (Read 606 times)

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
DePaul Law
« on: March 31, 2005, 06:54:47 PM »
Greetings,

I just recently was accepted to DePaul's Law school in Chicago and after conversing with several Chicago lawyers whom I had previously interned for, am seriously considering attending this school.  Practicing lawyers in the Chicagoland area seem to have great respect for DePaul graduates and their alumni network seems to be unrivaled in the Chicago market. 

These reasons along with the fact that they are extending a hefty scholarship in my direction have increased my interest in this school greatly.  Anyone with any thoughts on the school, positive or negative, please discuss here.  It seems that the school is also making an effort to narrow their decisions to a much smaller base of applicants in an effort to break into the second tier.

I hope we can generate a meaningful discussion here and good luck to everyone with their applications.
pudding is delightful

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DePaul Law
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 06:58:46 PM »
One thing i can say though is that it seems Chicago-Kent's facilities are more appealing than DePaul's (if that even accounts for anything).
pudding is delightful

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 07:07:18 PM »
Definitely, the facilites are kinda dumpy.  I got the distinct feeling through their many tours that it was IP or nothing with them.  Granted, they have a really good IP program but what is someone who is not into IP (like me) supposed to think? 
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 07:10:44 PM »
yeah, they definately placed a great deal of empasis on their IP program, but they also made sure to highlight their extensive alumni network.  I plan on practicing in the Chicago area post-bar exam and believe that the network could be a huge bonus to a graduate right out of law school.

Plus, they are the only school so far to send me a T-shirt.. and man is that cool.
pudding is delightful

ilsox7

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 07:11:35 PM »
I'd say Loyola has a much better combination of quality of education, quality of facilities, and quality of alumni that do DePaul or Kent.  Kent probably has the better professors and the better building, but Loyola isn't too far behind.  As for alums, DePaul may have a slight edge on Loyola, but I'd say it's fairly similar and both outrank Kent.  To me, Loyola is kind of the best of both worlds.  I am curious to see the building tomorrow and see the new building they are moving into.

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 07:12:30 PM »
brewha...How did you get so much money out of those schools?

Columbus School of Law

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 07:23:23 PM »
I don't doubt that Kent and Loyola both outrank DePaul, but comming from my perspective where DePaul is offering a significant chunk of change.... I am forced to give them attention.  Also, I did not apply to Loyola and from what I have seen from lawschoolnumbers, Kent is a reach for me.

brewha...How did you get so much money out of those schools?
From what I've heard, a solid personal statement and LOR's play a role in the amount of $$ certain schools provide individuals.  I believe both my PS and LOR's were quite solid.  (2 letters from professors who have argued, and won in front of the Supreme Court)
pudding is delightful

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 07:24:57 PM »
what were your #'s abev??  if you dont mind my asking.
pudding is delightful

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 07:26:45 PM »
LSAT 157     GPA  3.25

Check the LSN link below my posts, its the red one.

Columbus School of Law

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 07:31:58 PM »
Congrats with your Seton Hall decision... those b'stards dinged me :-\  How long did it take after your file was complete with Kent before they reached a decision?  I sent mine in mid January and they say my app is still with the committee.
pudding is delightful