Law School Discussion

Thread for UCONN '08ers

Re: Anyone going to the UCONN open house for admits on 4/9?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2005, 02:33:42 PM »
At the open house I specifically asked about this. Karen (I can't spell her last name) said that they were going to wait until after the 15th (when seat deposits are due) to do a mass mailing. I did get something from them yesterday, though, noting that they got my deposit. Now they want me to send them official transcripts from all of the schools I have ever attended (didn't I already do that for LSAC?!) and two passport style photos.

It would be nice to get some more info about the program, though.

And thanks for the info on the LAN cord. Is that a high-speed connection? Do you need any special equipment on the laptop for it, or just the wireless ethernet chip/board/whatever?

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2005, 03:43:07 PM »
I was curious if it was just me as well. I haven't gotten anything from them other then my acceptance letter and replies from Karen in email form (very short and always on topic). I'll wait until the week after next until I give them a call looking for extra information like housing.

Regarding the network access Highway, yes, it is highspeed. And no, you do not need anything beyond your laptop and a network cable to access it.

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2005, 04:46:30 PM »
I just got the letter about my deposit being received also.  Are the photos for a face book?  Anyone know where you can get photos like this done?

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2005, 05:39:42 PM »
I just got the letter about my deposit being received also.  Are the photos for a face book?  Anyone know where you can get photos like this done?

I would imagine it is for the facebook. As for me, I can take a picture on my digital camera and print out a 2" x 3", so that's the plan. That will allow me to take pictures until I am happy with it, too, which could be a while. For most pictures, I generally tend to look like I just got out of jail or something, so I will need a bunch of reshoots, I'm sure.

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2005, 05:42:04 PM »
Blake - I think you can get passport style photos done at Picture People in the malls.  They're not too pricey and ready in an hour (however go early or go late or make an appointment - they're normally packed with people and cranky kids - like mine!).  I've recieved the thanks for the money letter and today recieved my tentative financial stuff.  Now I need to apply for private loans (oh joy!).  I'm kind of annoyed at the lack of contact too - all contact I've had has been great but I would like more - like binders or something, packets would be nice. I'm not too keen on my picture in a face book though - that sounds highly unpleasant, I do not photograph well at all.  

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2005, 07:50:06 PM »
Why do you need private loans?  The PT is only like 10,000, you can cover that with the gov't loans. 

I don't want my pic anywhere either.  I generally don't like pictures of me, in fact I think the only one I like is my senior pic from HS.
I'm totally convinced that it was digitally altered...

Anyway, I wish we didn't have to send pics.
Anyone know why we need 2?  I was hoping they would be in black and white, I always seem to look a little better without the color.

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2005, 08:11:26 PM »
I need private loans because I own a home and trust me the 10,000 they allot for living expenses won't nearly cover my mortgage payment.  The cost of running that home, childcare expenses so I can study and attend class if my husband's schedule conflicts and what not add up pretty quick.  I work part-time and we rely on my income to supplement our living expenses.  My husband's income varies depending on his overtime schedule so my part-time work is sometimes extra and sometimes necessary.  We'll be losing a large of chunk of my income when school starts because I'll move to solely a consulting position - as needed basically.  We only plan on the loans for the first year and then after that we should be able to swing it on our own.  While most students pay $650 a month for an apartment - I need contribute way more than that for my housing and downsizing isn't really an option because I have four kids and we just had this house built back in September.  That's why I'm going the private loan route for what the gov't loans don't cover.  In the long run it won't really hurt us because by the time I'm out of school my entire income will be extra so paying off the loans shouldn't be an issue.

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2005, 08:18:40 PM »
Hooray for subsidized loans! That's how I'm paying for it. No word back from them on my deposit yet though.

pepem

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2005, 09:25:32 AM »
i just sent my deposit in on tuesday, so no word back yet.  I think I will call today to see if they got it.  I also received my financial aid award yesterday, so i have to sign and send that back, but overall there has been a general lack of communication compared with other schools.  I'm sure it will pick up now that we are admitted.

Now the house-hunt begins. . .

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2005, 10:30:29 AM »
Now the house-hunt begins. . .

Where do you plan on looking? My wife and I were thinking about Farmington. I just know that I want to be West or North of the school, so Avon and Simsbury are in the running as well.