Law School Discussion

"Waitlist" - status of significant other

Re: "Waitlist" - status of significant other
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 09:39:44 AM »
My SO and I have own a home together and I just gave her a ring a couple of months ago. Delaying wedding for financial aid reasons.

There are schools in the area that I can commute to: Notre Dame is about 30 miles away but I haven't heard back yet, Valpo is about 45 miles but I was waitlisted - cannot imagine why because my index numbers are a couple of points higher than others that have been accepted {LSN}, then there are the schools in Chicago, which is an hour away and MSU and Ave Maria, which are still close.

Valpo told me that they would guarantee me a seat in 2006 if I entered their MBA program this fall. It would add another year to my education but I don't know how beneficial the extra degree would be. Everything that I have read has steered me away from the Joint Degree notion. I want to practice law and I have already been out in the business world for 12 years - the extra degree would add credential but probably little in the way of "know how".

I guess I am going to wait and see if I get one of those "too good to pass up offers" and then decide.

bradzwest

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 10:09:43 AM »
My SO and I have own a home together and I just gave her a ring a couple of months ago. Delaying wedding for financial aid reasons.

There are schools in the area that I can commute to: Notre Dame is about 30 miles away but I haven't heard back yet, Valpo is about 45 miles but I was waitlisted - cannot imagine why because my index numbers are a couple of points higher than others that have been accepted {LSN}, then there are the schools in Chicago, which is an hour away and MSU and Ave Maria, which are still close.

Valpo told me that they would guarantee me a seat in 2006 if I entered their MBA program this fall. It would add another year to my education but I don't know how beneficial the extra degree would be. Everything that I have read has steered me away from the Joint Degree notion. I want to practice law and I have already been out in the business world for 12 years - the extra degree would add credential but probably little in the way of "know how".

I guess I am going to wait and see if I get one of those "too good to pass up offers" and then decide.

Valpos first seat deposits are due today...if you really would consider attending, get on the phone tomorrow and express interest!  Good luck!

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 10:11:42 AM »

When does her elected position end? If it's just one year, can you defer and then both move to whatever city so you can go to the best law school possible? If you're engaged and you own a home together, it's a serious long-term committment and you need to consider how your decisions will affect your relationship. I'll be married on Sunday and luckily, he'll be moving with me to Houston. Other than staying in SoCal, this is the best option for his career and mine. Good luck on your decision.

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 10:26:02 AM »
Scurvy, congrats on your upcoming wedding!  It seems like it was not so long ago you had started the good things come in blue boxes thread...

:)

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »
The whole "waitlist" was my weak attempt at humor.

She actually has a 4 year gig as Clerk - she was elected in the most recent general election.

I hate the thought of having to leave - but I am 34 and I absolutely hate my current job. It's one of those positions where if you happened to die tonight - tomorrow would come and people might know you weren't there but things would go on uninterrupted... collecting a check but not much else. No satisfaction. As you can see in the picture, my hair can't make up its' mind about whether it wants to turn grey or just fall out.

Of course, law school is probably going to guarantee that either one or the other happens. It is my sincere hope that the law degree is going to give me the credentials to get a job where I can afford to replace it... any color I want.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 11:00:16 AM »
Aww, I like your sense of humor!  :D

I think there are great examples of successful couples out there that have done the long distance thing for several years.  Law school is only 3, and it would be very hard, but you're older at this point, and know more about what you want in life.  If you both agree that you want to be together, and have this life experience behind you to back it up, I think you can make it work!  And there's summers, when you can look in the legal market near where she is, and hopefully gain some good WE, make some local contacts for after you graduate, and get to spend a blissful 3 months together each summer.

However it works out, good luck!

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 12:37:21 PM »
Thanks Jacy -

Also, don't anyone get the idea now that I am keeping her around because she is a County Clerk who just happens to be working in the courthouse. Also, the fact that she has routine contact with the different judges - it would be entirely unscrupulous for me to push her to try and pull any kind of strings to get me a judicial clerkship or get my resume in front of a senior partner - I would never think of pushing her to do something like that.

If she really loved me - she would do it without my influence.

Again, weak humor.