Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would a Part Time program be worth it for me?  (Read 1942 times)

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Would a Part Time program be worth it for me?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 12:49:43 PM »
vivarin,

I think that your numbers are bit low for GULC and GW full time.
Don't know about Fordham.  I would definitely apply PT to GULC and GW.
Then you can transfer to FT during 2L. And you don't have to work to apply PT.  Many do it to get in with #'s bit low for FT.  Check out LSN to see a sample of accepted people.  My buddy got in GW PT with 165/3.5 (Engineering Major with MS) last year but not GULC PT.  Another friend with 164/3.4 (Engineering major) got in GW PT this year and still waiting on GULC PT.
You may still have a shot at GULC and GW FT, but it will be tougher than PT.

Good luck.

Hey, thanks for your advice.  I looked at your LSN profile and noticed you're korean, like me!  We're both technically minded as well, so I guess that makes us alike more ways than one.  Are you looking into IP law?  I don't have a MS, so I'm not sure if I'm something firms are looking for, but I do know I'm qualified to take the patent bar.

Yeah, my #'s are primarily why I'm looking into the PT thing.  You know much about  the PT->FT transfer process?  Is it difficult, frowned upon, or relatively easy?

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 01:07:45 PM »
Hey, thanks for your advice.  I looked at your LSN profile and noticed you're koreas, like me!  We're both technically minded as well, so I guess that makes us alike more ways than one.  Are you looking into IP law?  I don't have a MS, so I'm not sure if I'm something firms are looking for, but I do know I'm qualified to take the patent bar.

Yeah, my #'s are primarily why I'm looking into the PT thing.  You know much about  the PT->FT transfer process?  Is it difficult, frowned upon, or relatively easy?

Yup, I'm a Korean Engineer.
As far as I can tell, it's pretty easy to transfer up to FT within the same school. Now, if you want to transfer to a different school, that's pretty difficult especially as a PT.
And you are fine with just a undergrad in Comp Sci.  Only in Biotech, grad degrees needed.
If you graduate from GW or GULC with a tech background, you should be fine.
I think your #s are very very competitive at GW PT.

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 01:45:05 PM »
Hey, thanks for your advice.  I looked at your LSN profile and noticed you're koreas, like me!  We're both technically minded as well, so I guess that makes us alike more ways than one.  Are you looking into IP law?  I don't have a MS, so I'm not sure if I'm something firms are looking for, but I do know I'm qualified to take the patent bar.

As far as I can tell, it's pretty easy to transfer up to FT within the same school. Now, if you want to transfer to a different school, that's pretty difficult especially as a PT.
And you are fine with just a undergrad in Comp Sci.  Only in Biotech, grad degrees needed.

Wow, thanks for the info.  I'm only interested in tranferring from PT-FT within the same school - so I guess that's good news for me.  I wonder if anyone out there reading this has actually done it though.  It'd be nice to hear from the trenches.

I've been reading up on this transfer process, and it looks like generally you have to take extra classes during the summer.  I wonder if this puts you at a disadvantage later because you can't work during your 1L summer? 

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 05:37:40 PM »
Wow, thanks for the info.  I'm only interested in tranferring from PT-FT within the same school - so I guess that's good news for me.  I wonder if anyone out there reading this has actually done it though.  It'd be nice to hear from the trenches.

I've been reading up on this transfer process, and it looks like generally you have to take extra classes during the summer.  I wonder if this puts you at a disadvantage later because you can't work during your 1L summer? 

Your best bet it to ask the schools directly about the summer associate positions.
But, from what I can gather some IP firms don't even hire 1L anyhow.  I'm guessing not having the 1L summer position won't kill you as long as your grades are good.  And the GW or GULC name will make up for it, I'm sure.
Also, checkout the NALP directory
www.nalpdirectory.com

Browse through some IP firms that you are interested in.  It will tell you who hires summer associates and if 1L or 2L.  Also, you can search for all firms that conduct on campus interview at your school.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2005, 07:58:40 PM »

I've been a silent observer here for a few months, but I thought maybe I could help you with some advice I received.

I'll be entering GW PT this fall, and I plan on transferring to FT after the first semester. From what I understand, GW is one of the few places that lets you do this. I actually sent an email to GW's "ask a student" for advice from someone who had done it, and the girl who responded talked very highly about her choice to do so (though maybe I shouldn't have expected anything else). She said PT was a good way to enter law school, and then after transferring to FT she had only one semester of PT, so she was only two classes behind after 1L. She also said that she studied abroad during 1L summer to catch up on credits, and then took the actual 1L classes she missed during 2L.

This is my plan, primarily because GW part time is the best law school I could get in to with a 3.5/161. All the other Tier 1's I applied to waitlisted me, so it's GW PT or Loyola Chicago with only $8500/year. I'm a little afraid that having been PT for one semester will hurt my resume, but I think overall graduating from GW will be worth any problems it causes, especially because I want to work in DC. HTH.
GW

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 12:32:40 AM »
thanks for the info nate.  so my question is...can anyone transfer like this?  Must you have a certain GPA, etc?

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 12:34:07 AM »
Did you ever get a reply to your questions you emailed?  Law review a possibility and what did they say about transferring from PT to FT?

I'll post if/when I receive a reply from Fdhm!

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 09:00:11 AM »
I speak with attorneys on almost a daily basis with my work.  The ones I have a good rapport with I have asked for advice on whether to go full time or part time to law school.  Every single one of them has recommended continuing working in the legal field and going to school part time.  Several also stated that the bad perception of PT programs was a phenomenon primarily observed in law school applicants and students, not employers.  Many of the DC area lawyers even expressed a preference for PT students because of the ease of integration into first year work.  If you have 4 years of work experience in a legal field, I think this makes you much more employable than someone with 2 summers of work.

I just don't think there's a big legitimacy gap between PT and FT, definitely not enough for me to give up making money and gaining experience for 3 years.

As far as going for one semester and then transferring, I don't know why this would hurt your resume.  I would think the only thing it would do would be to cause the more competitive and petty FT students to look down on you when you join the section.

3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2005, 10:23:58 AM »
I speak with attorneys on almost a daily basis with my work.  The ones I have a good rapport with I have asked for advice on whether to go full time or part time to law school.  Every single one of them has recommended continuing working in the legal field and going to school part time.  Several also stated that the bad perception of PT programs was a phenomenon primarily observed in law school applicants and students, not employers.  Many of the DC area lawyers even expressed a preference for PT students because of the ease of integration into first year work.  If you have 4 years of work experience in a legal field, I think this makes you much more employable than someone with 2 summers of work.

I just don't think there's a big legitimacy gap between PT and FT, definitely not enough for me to give up making money and gaining experience for 3 years.

As far as going for one semester and then transferring, I don't know why this would hurt your resume.  I would think the only thing it would do would be to cause the more competitive and petty FT students to look down on you when you join the section.

Thanks for the insight!  It's good to know that this info comes from real lawyers themselves.  Also, I noticed that you got into GWU!  Congrats!  I'm almost your numbers twin, so it gives my hope for the upcoming year.  Did you apply FT or PT?  I assume PT by the content of your post.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 12:22:27 PM »
thanks for the info nate.  so my question is...can anyone transfer like this?  Must you have a certain GPA, etc?

I believe anyone can transfer from PT to FT after the first semester. From what I understand of law school, many first semester grades aren't reported until a couple weeks in to the second semester (though perhaps GW is not like this?). That would make grade requirements for transferring virtually impossible. GW's admission brochure also mentions transferring, but only says something like, "students planning to transfer to FT after the first semester must consult with their advisor to make sure that all credit requirements will be met by graduation". It says nothing about GPA or other requirements. There is also a session at PT orientation about doing this, and I've heard elsewhere on here that the PT class has a lot of people that choose to do this. My point being, I think it's pretty widespread and easy to do at GW.
GW