Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would a Part Time program be worth it for me?  (Read 1948 times)

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Would a Part Time program be worth it for me?
« on: March 31, 2005, 01:30:24 PM »
Do you think it might be wise for me to apply to some of my target schools as a part time student?

Here's my story again. I have 6 years WE, I was a consultant for a little bit and I've been a tech worker since then. I graduated back in 99, am married, and have a 3.27 GPA and a 165 LSAT. I majored both in Math and Computer Science.

I'd like to ultimately practice in the east coast, NY/DC. Obviously, my numbers aren't stellar, especially given how in the past 3-4 years, standards seem to have shot up. (Oh how I WISH I applied to LS back when I graduated! The medians were so much lower).

So, with that being said, do you think it might be wise to apply to certain schools PT? Like Fordham, or GW, or even GULC (yeah, right). I would probably try to transfer over to the FT program after my 1L year, and from what I've read, this isn't so hard to do. I don't want to work a full-time job while in LS (too much is at stake), but I'm afriad I won't be able to get into some of my target schools.

Anyway, does anyone have any insight? Thanks so much.

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Would a Part Time program be worth it for me?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 02:54:17 PM »
*bump*

trayd79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 03:00:36 PM »
Hmmmm, I think you should apply for the program you really want, why settle for something you might not be happy with?  By the way, give yourself some credit, your numbers aren't all that bad.

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 03:12:24 PM »
Hmmmm, I think you should apply for the program you really want, why settle for something you might not be happy with?  By the way, give yourself some credit, your numbers aren't all that bad.

Well, I guess I don't have a really big problem with going to my target schools in their PT program, as long as there isn't a big caveat.  I don't know what sort of negatives there are with this plan - would going to school PT be risky for some reason I don't know?  Would employers frown on it?  Is it difficult to transfer to a FT program after my 1L year?  Things like that.

Yeah, I know my numbers aren't bad.  I do tend to doubt myself a lot - something I need to work on.

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 06:07:09 PM »
anybody else have any input?

wrmusgro

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 06:24:21 PM »

Yes, with your numbers you can get into many tier one FULL TIME programs. What are you high? You're only determent is your GPA, but with a CS/Math major you'll be fine, and you have work experience. My advice is to not ask rhetorical questions. (no offense)

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 06:34:52 PM »

Yes, with your numbers you can get into many tier one FULL TIME programs. What are you high? You're only determent is your GPA, but with a CS/Math major you'll be fine, and you have work experience. My advice is to not ask rhetorical questions. (no offense)

ok, but what if I want to go to particular schools.  I admit, since I want to work in DC/NY, schools like GW and Fordham are ideal for me.  Fordham even moreso because I live in NYC.  My numbers may be good, but for these schools, I think I'm borderline...unless I'm completely bonkers.  If so, feel free to tell me.

wrmusgro

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 06:36:23 PM »

ok, but what if I want to go to particular schools.  I admit, since I want to work in DC/NY, schools like GW and Fordham are ideal for me.  Fordham even moreso because I live in NYC.  My numbers may be good, but for these schools, I think I'm borderline...unless I'm completely bonkers.  If so, feel free to tell me.

My suggestion would be go to lawschoolnumbers.com and see what people were accepted there with similar numbers to yours. Cheers.

jdw112

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 06:42:22 PM »
If you feel your numbers are weak, you can try to improve them. Study for the LSAT again and see if you can raise your score. If the practices arent going so well you can stick with your current numbers (You LSAT isn't bad at all) and then apply. Since you are not applying for the current cycle, you can try to improve yourself for the next one. There is plenty of time to prep for the October LSAT and still apply to GULC early decision, provided you can get your rec letters and such.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 09:10:13 PM »
part-time programs are hell...definitely dont try PT program and FT job.

pt students are also kinda "second class" in law schools (my partner started that way)...even after you transfer, it still sticks w/ you int erms of resume, etc.