Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: THIS IS HOW TO STUDY FOR THE LSAT!  (Read 2395 times)

Joe Blow

THIS IS HOW TO STUDY FOR THE LSAT!
« on: June 17, 2003, 04:17:41 PM »
Success on the LSAT hinges on following these steps:

1) Buy the "10 Actual LSATS" and "10 More Actual LSATS" released and published by the LSAC; the actual testmakers of the ACTUAL LSAT. Work these problems religiously and under timed conditions. DO NOT CHECK YOUR ANSWERS DURING THE TIME IN WHICH YOU TAKE THE PRACTICE TESTS. If you engage in the foregoing, you will get diminishing returns on your time investment because you will not be re-creating the actual testing atmosphere. Further, after each test carefully analyze why you answered a question incorrectly. Often, you will find that one word will determine whether a response is credited or incorrect. These words include, but are not limited to: few, some, many, all, ect.

2) IDENTIFY THE TYPES OF QUESTIONS THAT WILL BE ASKED. The LSAC generally asks the same types of questions each time an LSAT is administered. Some examples include: assumption, inference, resolve the paradox, main conclusion, main point, parallel arguments, ect. FIND AND UNDERSTAND THE TYPES OF QUESTIONS SO THAT YOU CAN QUICKLY IDENTIFY THEM WHEN YOU TAKE THE ACTUAL EXAM! Doing such will enable you to save time, and as we all know, time constraints work against you when you take the actual test. Find ways in which you can work with the time constrainst and not let them work you!

3) PROVIDED THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE EINSTEIN INTELLIGENCE ( AND MOST OF US MERE MORTALS DO NOT!) IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU SPEND AT LEAST ONE MONTH, PRECEDING THE EXAM, TAKING TESTS AND WORKING ACTUAL LSAT PROBLEMS. Let's face it, the LSAT is a hard test ... and it should be because you are seeking admission into graduate school and not your local Junior College. If you do not wish to make the time investment before the exam, there is a high probability that law school is not for you because law school will require much more work.

PS THIS IS A VERY BREIF SYNOPSIS OF WHAT A TEST PREP COURSE COVERS (OR A GOOD ONE, AT LEAST) IN MY OPINION, TEST PREP COURSES ARE A WASTE OF MONEY AND WILL DO NOTHING BUT REITERATE THE FOREGOING. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST OF LUCK AND PLEASE TELL ME IF I CAN HELP ANYONE!

Ziva

Re: THIS IS HOW TO STUDY FOR THE LSAT!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 01:07:24 AM »
Pete --

Were you investigated in any way because of your score?  Some people were hypothesizing that anyone 176 and above has to provide additional proof of identity.

HarvardBound

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 11:52:42 AM »
I'VE HEARD THAT 10 ACTUAL LSAT'S ARE EASIER THAN THE 10 MORE ACTUAL LSAT'S AND THAT YOU SHOULD PRACTICE WITH THE 10 MORE ACTUAL LSATS AND THE NEW 10 NEXT ACTUAL LSATS THAT JUST CAME OUT.

SUFIS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 07:45:12 PM »
One more thing: do not have sex during the three days preceding the last two days before the test.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 09:15:13 PM »
And avoid orange juice and small children.

petepeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 09:28:19 PM »
I agree completely.  Real practice is absolutely, POSITIVELY necessary!  I took the GRE almost cold and did well, but the LSAT is different.  My score rose from about average for the 2nd tier to great for the top 10, entirely because I studied.

Also, I brought a bottle of water, sharpened pencils, and a chocolate bar for the break.  And, I had a good night's sleep and a high-protein breakfast beforehand.