Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UIUC / university of illinois  (Read 1778 times)

naomh

• View Profile
UIUC / university of illinois
« on: March 31, 2005, 01:35:01 AM »
Has anyone heard anything (accepts, dings, WL?) from UIUC lately?

i applied in november, been complete since january, and would REALLY like a decision before i send money to chicago-kent. i emailed to check on status about a month ago (because i have very crappy mail delivery) and don't want to email again.

HankieB

Re: UIUC / university of illinois
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 10:25:02 AM »
My guess is that UIUC will take longer since their application deadline wasn't until 3/15.  In fact, I'm one of the tools who applied at the last minute on a whim - though I certainly don't hold much hope for acceptance. 

If the last time you contacted them was a month ago, I would think that you could contact them again regarding your status.  I did this yesterday with Kent, and I mentioned that I was hoping to have a decision prior to the seat deposit deadlines, but I didn't DEMAND a decision (that, I've heard, can bring an instant ding).  They responded that my decision would be mailed that day, and then I had the acceptance email this morning!

Good luck to you!

link0

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 11:05:59 AM »
if ur lsat is 165 or higher, you are in

if your lsat is 164, you have a 1/3 chance

if ur lsat is 163 or under, you are out

northbynw

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - northby_nw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 11:09:56 AM »
Are you sure about that link? I have a 168, but the grid shows my chances are about 50%. Does the 165+ hold for people with horrendous GPA's?
For those who feel, life is a tragedy. For those who think, life is a comedy.

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 11:11:54 AM »
I was 163/4.00 applied in October--immediate rejection.  (In-state).

-Meh, I'm going to a better ranked school on a big scholarship.  Two tears in a bucket, %*#) it.

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 11:13:24 AM »
I've seen people on here with like 168/2.7 get a $10,000/yr scholarship.

Are you sure about that link? I have a 168, but the grid shows my chances are about 50%. Does the 165+ hold for people with horrendous GPA's?

murkydreamer

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 12:03:18 PM »
I applied in November as well and got a letter a few weeks ago that my application was being held for further review (it did not give a specific notification date). 

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 12:05:48 PM »

This is absolutely true. I spoke to the dean and he basically told me this. This is absolutely ridiculous behavior by a state-run institution. Getting a scholarship for 10k a year with a 2.7? That is just not right.
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 12:11:44 PM »
Well, being one of those who were ridiculously offered a scholarship, I am withdrawing today and I wish those who are waiting the best of luck!

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 12:25:24 PM »
After sitting in on classes at U of Illinois, heavily researching their career statistics, and other placement statistics, I have come to the conclusion that University of Illinois' is an inferior law school compared to others in the top 30, and will soon, properly, be outside the top 30.

Their placement is so ridiculously regional (Chicago) that if you want to work anywhere else, you're looking at $50,000/year instead of $100,000/yr. 

When I sat in on classes the students seemed nothing short of mildly retarded.  The 1L contracts instructor didn't seem to care much, if at all, about the students learning, and sadly it appeared that the students liked "getting off" from needing to be prepared due to the instructor's in-class behavior.  He questioned one girl for 10 minutes whose voice was so faint it was inaudible, and the instructor didn't seem to care at all that he couldn't make out a word she was saying--he just kept on asking pointless questions. 

Champaign-Urbana sucks, the facilities suck (the building looks like a concrete block with windows, the library is severely cramped, forget about finding a parking spot on days that end in "y," and the schools temperature varies INCREDIBLY based on where you are--I was freezing in some places and burning up in others, and I normally never feel cold/hot) the professors are disinterested, aloof, and concerned with research, and most of the students I met were pretentious psuedo-intellects.

U of Illinois is one of a handful of sanctimonious state schools that are trying like hell to gain a "national" reputation, similar to that of Michigan, Berkeley, UVA, and UT Austin.  The problem is that there is only room for one national public school per approximately 20-40 million people or so:  Berkeley serves the 20 million in Northern Cali/Western region, UCLA (sort of) serves the 20 million in Southern California (Berkeley gets some of this runoff), UT-Austin serves the 20 million in the southwest/south central, Michigan serves the appx.20 million in the midwest, and UVA serves the eastern region (but because of the disproportionate amount of private schools on the east coast, there is less of this "public effect" there). 

It's about as likely that Illinois will dethrone Michigan as the T14 public school in the midwest as Paris Hilton winning this year's national spelling bee.  And ultimately, by blowing all their foundation money on literally ANYONE who has higher than a 95th percentile LSAT score, they're damaging the niche they've developed in the legal market (a tied-for-fourth-in-line-position behind U of Chicago, Northwestern, and Michigan with Notre Dame as the primary source for law student recruits in Chicago) that is allowing them their top 30 spot.
-HTH

This is absolutely true. I spoke to the dean and he basically told me this. This is absolutely ridiculous behavior by a state-run institution. Getting a scholarship for 10k a year with a 2.7? That is just not right.