Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NON-ABA / CBA LAW SCHOOLS WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS FOR FALL ? PLEASE HELP  (Read 14100 times)

doos13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NON-ABA / CBA LAW SCHOOLS WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS FOR FALL ? PLEASE HELP
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 03:58:07 AM »
Not only is the ABA a sham, but so is the bar; someone was misleading you.  All you need is a frame, a diploma template, Kinko's or a printer, a wall, and a nail.  You'll be raking in the money while those suckers on both the ABA and non-ABA track are still wasting three years in school.

TITCR.

Honestly though, you can get into at least a lower Top 14 school. I'd say apply to Chicago, NYU, Michigan, Virginia, Berkeley, Duke, Penn, Cornell, Georgetown, and Northwestern. I'd say apply to like UCLA and Vandy just to be safe. Everyone says this thing is all about the numbers, but it's not. Your personal statement is the key. You can overcome any numbers with an amazing personal statement. Check out one of the editing/invent your statement services. Make sure you don't go with anything under $200 an hour though. Anything below that and you are getting TTT services.

TITTITCR

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 04:00:05 AM »
Not only is the ABA a sham, but so is the bar; someone was misleading you.  All you need is a frame, a diploma template, Kinko's or a printer, a wall, and a nail.  You'll be raking in the money while those suckers on both the ABA and non-ABA track are still wasting three years in school.

TITCR.

Honestly though, you can get into at least a lower Top 14 school. I'd say apply to Chicago, NYU, Michigan, Virginia, Berkeley, Duke, Penn, Cornell, Georgetown, and Northwestern. I'd say apply to like UCLA and Vandy just to be safe. Everyone says this thing is all about the numbers, but it's not. Your personal statement is the key. You can overcome any numbers with an amazing personal statement. Check out one of the editing/invent your statement services. Make sure you don't go with anything under $200 an hour though. Anything below that and you are getting TTT services.

TITTITCR

wait...what?
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 09:15:07 AM »
I want to attend law school this fall. My UGPA was a 2.5 and my highest LSAT score was a 140. I took the lsat 3 times already so I cant retake for another 2 years so Im not going to wait 2 years. I attended University of Virginia and majored in Management. I applied to several law schools particular these ABA schools that everyone are so hyped about. So far I got rejected to every school I applied to. I applied to a combo of Tier 3 and 4. So Im still waiting for decisions on my other top picks right now. So as for now I want to have backup options. I did some research and concluded that these ABA schools are nothing more then schools involved in the ABA organization which tuition is more expensive than non-aba schools. I also checked out the curriculum of Non-ABA, CBA, and ABA schools to see if theres a difference. I had the opprotunity to talk to an attorney who went the Non-ABA route and appears to be very sucessful and he passed the Bar exam and have lots of clients and a decent sized firm. He started his own firm fresh out of Law School and labor rate is $225/hr. He explained to me that he choosed this route bc the ABA schools doesnt mean nothing at the end of the day. He says if I can pick a cheap Non-ABA school or a CBA School in California and study hard I can pass the Bar and be very sucessful. Why pay 40K a year when theres plenty of schools ranging from 4K-$15K a year ? He also mentioned it doesnt matter what Law School you go to bc after graduation every person must take a Bar Review Course. As long as I study hard I can pass the Bar and become a well rounded attorney independent. So Im going to apply to several Non-ABA Schools and these CBA Schools In CA. I dont know if there easy to get into but I would like some advice on whats the best Non-ABA/ CBA school I should apply to and get a good education. Please help time is of the essence. Thanks.

I'm going to assume that this isn't a flame, but that really scares me.  I'm going to make some points and ask some questions in random order.  Hopefully something I say will help you come to your senses. 

You have a 2.5 GPA, took the LSAT three times with a high score of 140, and you think you can make up for all of that by studying hard for a bar review course?  Did you study hard in college?  Did you study hard for the LSAT? 

You are going to take one attorney's isolated situation as evidence that going the non-ABA route is a good idea? 

Your research really led you to the conclusion that "...these ABA schools are nothing more then (sic) schools involved in the ABA organization which tuition is more expensive?"  Do you think there's a possibility that they charge more because they're, I don't know, much better schools?  Are you really concluding that the ABA is just there to help law schools make more money?

I hope you take at least 2 years--if not to retake the LSAT, at least to think about what you are doing.  If you are really serious about going to law school, and you are determined to do it no matter what, then try this.  Go to a community college, take some more English classes to improve your writing.  Read like your life depended on it.  Try to get a job working for lawyers--not just ones who went to non-ABA schools--and talk to them about your plans. 

I really hope you take this in the spirit in which it is intended.  I'm not trying to be mean, and I really wish you the best.  Just remember that you were unsuccessful in undergrad, unsuccessful taking the LSAT, and you are counting on being a successful attorney coming out of a school that can't even get accreditation.  It is entirely possible that you can achieve your goal--it's just going to take a lot more work, and more time, than what you are planning right now.  There is no easy way out, so stop trying to find one.

I hope you find the success you are looking for.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

The Dude Abides

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 11:30:18 AM »
To client9,

Great Googly Moogly! The dude does not abide.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 11:48:42 AM »
client 9 look around for the highest building climb to the top well you should figure it out from there

cleint9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 12:19:38 PM »
Well I spoke with a couple people regarding this. And they state that the ABA schools are nothing more then money making schools which charges 3-4 times more than a Non-ABA. You still get the same curriculum as ABA schools and still take the same BAR review course. So what difference do it makes ? The attorney who was a Non-ABA school grad has a firm of over 10 individuals working for him, and he is pretty wealthy, lives in a nice town, and drives an 07 Aston Martin Covertible. So that says alot. You dont have to go to a Big Law, to become Big Law, its the person that makes their situation Big Law.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »
Well I spoke with a couple people regarding this. And they state that the ABA schools are nothing more then money making schools which charges 3-4 times more than a Non-ABA. You still get the same curriculum as ABA schools and still take the same BAR review course. So what difference do it makes ? The attorney who was a Non-ABA school grad has a firm of over 10 individuals working for him, and he is pretty wealthy, lives in a nice town, and drives an 07 Aston Martin Covertible. So that says alot. You dont have to go to a Big Law, to become Big Law, its the person that makes their situation Big Law.

you should do about eight more years in high school english before you consider pursuing anything legal.

Next year I will make 160K before bonuses (approximately 190K with).  This is just the starting salary.  This is the product of an ABA school.  The thing is, 30%+ of my class will make the same thing next year.  You can name one attorney who drives an aston martin (so? they are mad cheap and most aba attorneys could afford one but have the sense not to get one because they are remotely intelligent and practical).  Anyway, I doubt a real law school will take you, but have a great time in Cali.  Just realize even after you pass the bar, most states will not accept the cali bar from a non-legitimate law school student.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 12:35:08 PM »
You are right. It doesn't make a difference whether you go to an ABA school or not. You will never be a successful lawyer. You can't write, you have poor reasoning skills, you have poor academic skills. You will never be a good lawyer, so you might as well go to a cheaper law school.

cleint9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »
This is an internet forum, I dont have to write perfect on here, this is not school. Anyways this Attorney went to school at SNESL and passed the Bar in 5 states MA,CA,VA,NY, NJ and he is a Non-ABA school grad. So that says alot that ABA doesnt mean everything. Anyways is SNESL a good school ? Anyone heard anything about it ?

cleint9

• View Profile
    • Email