Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FAFSA Question  (Read 2683 times)

Dreamin192

• View Profile
    • LSN
FAFSA Question
« on: April 17, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
Okay I realize it is way past the deadline for all schools but I applied late in the cycle and am just now hearing back. Here's my situation, I didn't file a FAFSA because I didn't actually know if I would be an undergrad this fall. I'm getting married in June and so after talking to the financial aid office at my undergrad school I decided it would be better for me to wait until I get married and file then because my mom's income would no longer count. Come to find out I am graduating (an issue with some classes I needed to take and will hopefully be attending law school in the fall.) Now after reading some of these posts I think I would be considered independent anyway as I am 23, will be 24 this year. So I guess I could go and fill it our right now and it would only be my income, not my moms and not my future husband's. The issue with that is that I haven't worked at all for the past year. I have no W2s, I have been living at home. Yes, I know, slacker, but I was taking advantage of my mom telling me my job was school. So can I really file a FAFSA as an independent if I'm not filing taxes and have had no income? I have filed taxes in the past, this past year is an exception. I am so confused!
Whittier Law 2011

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FAFSA Question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:08:09 PM »
Yes, file now. Most schools require you to include your parents' info (I know 30 year olds who had to include this), but the info is not taken into account when giving student loans.

Read the information on the FAFSA application about whether to consider yourself an independent or not. To be honest it doesn't really matter that much.

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
All graduate students are considered independent for the purposes of the FAFSA. Your age, marital status, and whether or not you have been claimed as a dependent on your parent's federal income tax returns do not matter at all.

Edit: Not having any reportable income, or W2 forms, is not a problem, and is in fact probably a very good thing. Your EFC will almost certainly be 0.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:14:40 PM »
hbb's is the credited response and all you need to know. Fill it out ASAP so maybe you can get some money before your school runs out.
UVA Law Class of 2011

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:49:54 AM »
All graduate students are considered independent for the purposes of the FAFSA. Your age, marital status, and whether or not you have been claimed as a dependent on your parent's federal income tax returns do not matter at all.

Edit: Not having any reportable income, or W2 forms, is not a problem, and is in fact probably a very good thing. Your EFC will almost certainly be 0.

This isn't entirely correct. I had to include my parents' info on my FAFSA. Check with the school, some schools require it, others don't.

DGbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:25:21 PM »
If a school requires parents income information, it is usually just for institutional need-based aid i.e. scholarships or loans. Your actual EFC for FAFSA will only be based on your income.

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 04:22:21 PM »
If a school requires parents income information, it is usually just for institutional need-based aid i.e. scholarships or loans. Your actual EFC for FAFSA will only be based on your income.

That's correct, but the point is yes, you may need to include ytour parents' info.