Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: One of them will be President?  (Read 5540 times)

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: One of them will be President?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »
Questions about trade- 0

Questions about process, Jeremiah Wright, and other trivial nonsense- At least a dozen

Great job, ABC.  ::)

You can't just say we should ignore fairness to increase revenue. Slavery was good for the economy too but that doesn't mean we should bring it back. So many things in this country are such a struggle because there is an incredible inertia in Washington against fixing past mistakes because those who benefit from the current situation are loathe to change it and have to adjust their money-making strategy.

I'm not saying we should ignore fairness to incerase revenue.  I'm saying we shouldn't solely base our tax system on some politician's idea of fairness.  Besides, who gets to say what is "fair?"  That is a very subjective word.  There is nothing "fair" about our current tax system, thus my support for the Fair Tax.  A TRULY fair tax system.

At only 30 more cents on every purchase!

But that's a different discussion entirely...
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 04:09:53 PM »
Questions about trade- 0

Questions about process, Jeremiah Wright, and other trivial nonsense- At least a dozen

Great job, ABC.  ::)

You can't just say we should ignore fairness to increase revenue. Slavery was good for the economy too but that doesn't mean we should bring it back. So many things in this country are such a struggle because there is an incredible inertia in Washington against fixing past mistakes because those who benefit from the current situation are loathe to change it and have to adjust their money-making strategy.

I'm not saying we should ignore fairness to incerase revenue.  I'm saying we shouldn't solely base our tax system on some politician's idea of fairness.  Besides, who gets to say what is "fair?"  That is a very subjective word.  There is nothing "fair" about our current tax system, thus my support for the Fair Tax.  A TRULY fair tax system.

At only 30 more cents on every purchase!

But that's a different discussion entirely...

Bye-bye dollar menu. How would I ever survive law school?

Live off the land.

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 04:43:27 PM »
I just lived off of Chipotle.

I am living mightily. Viva burritos.

Actually, I'm a qdoba guy...

Boobs?

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 04:54:42 PM »
The capital gains question made me so crazy I was literally jumping up and down in my room. The way Obama answered it made me cringe.  I don't want a President who bases tax rates on "fairness," even when it means bringing in less revenue.  Seriously?  Isn't it better for all of us when there is more money in the coffers, so to speak?

The problem with your statement here  is that you are assuming Charlie Gibson was correct. As a multimillionaire I can understand why Charlie would be upset about having his capital gains tax raised. However, the evidence supporting his claim that revenues increase when capital gains are cut is extremely poor. See, for example: http://www.cbpp.org/7-10-07tax.htm

What makes me really annoyed is when I see a millionaire like Charlie crying crocodile tears about the middle class being affected by a tax increase that would only effect people with over $250,000 in revenue.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 04:55:04 PM »

Boobs?

Oh damn, just remembered I'm going to be quite near one three days a week for the next two months. Excessive?

Quite near boobs or Chipotle?  Or Both?
Eating Chipotle might actually give you boobs though...

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 04:57:31 PM »
The capital gains question made me so crazy I was literally jumping up and down in my room. The way Obama answered it made me cringe.  I don't want a President who bases tax rates on "fairness," even when it means bringing in less revenue.  Seriously?  Isn't it better for all of us when there is more money in the coffers, so to speak?

The problem with your statement here  is that you are assuming Charlie Gibson was correct. As a multimillionaire I can understand why Charlie would be upset about having his capital gains tax raised. However, the evidence supporting his claim that revenues increase when capital gains are cut is extremely poor. See, for example: http://www.cbpp.org/7-10-07tax.htm

What makes me really annoyed is when I see a millionaire like Charlie crying crocodile tears about the middle class being affected by a tax increase that would only effect people with over $250,000 in revenue.

Try reading the rest of the thread first.

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 05:00:46 PM »

Boobs?

Oh damn, just remembered I'm going to be quite near one three days a week for the next two months. Excessive?

Never too much.

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 05:13:39 PM »

Ok, I admit I skimmed the thread, but in going through it again, I can't see anything which questions whether Charlie is actually correct that less capital gains = less revenue. Am I missing something.

As indicated in the link above, there is good reason to believe that Charlie was wrong.

Also, for a multi-millionaire so concerned about the middle class, it's curious why he seemed so uninterested in issues like the subprime mortgage crisis, trade, or union rights. Oh, I forgot, capital gains tax has a much greater bearing on the economic well-being of middle class Pennsylvanians...

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 05:14:42 PM »

Ok, I admit I skimmed the thread, but in going through it again, I can't see anything which questions whether Charlie is actually correct that less capital gains = less MORE revenue. Am I missing something.

Ooops... typo corrected.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 05:19:33 PM »

Ok, I admit I skimmed the thread, but in going through it again, I can't see anything which questions whether Charlie is actually correct that less capital gains = less revenue. Am I missing something.

As indicated in the link above, there is good reason to believe that Charlie was wrong.

Also, for a multi-millionaire so concerned about the middle class, it's curious why he seemed so uninterested in issues like the subprime mortgage crisis, trade, or union rights. Oh, I forgot, capital gains tax has a much greater bearing on the economic well-being of middle class Pennsylvanians...

It seems like people don't want to deal with the fact that production leads to wealth.
When you choose an overall tax rate it is important that you don't hurt production.  If our economy produces more supply, then prices, or incomes will adjust.  Look what is happneing to Ohio.  Regulations and taxes are forcing many businesses to re-locate to Alabama and Texas.
Regulations and Taxes are also forcing many business to look overseas.   If you raise corporate taxes or capital gains taxes, that doesn't really mean that they will end up paying more taxes... They might just relocate or change their business.