Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Abortion Art  (Read 1315 times)

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Abortion Art
« on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »

OldFart

• View Profile
UIUC in-state tuition question?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »
"Nevermind".  I totally misunderstood what she was babbling about.  :-\

LongSufferingOldFart

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UIUC in-state tuition question?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 06:48:45 PM »
Tell her to check the conditions of the scholarship. If it is a merit based scholarship and she meets the minimum GPA requirement (3.0?), she should qualify for instate tuition after a semester and still retain the scholarship.

Some schools offer out of state student one year grants that bring the tuition down to instate levels for out of state students, but these are grants that are nonrenewable after a year.

jamnjo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »
My XGF just got in at UIUC and asked me:

Do students at UIUC who get scholarships also get in-state tuition rates?  Or is a scholarship a way of attracting students who would otherwise have to pay out-of-state tuition?

Also, does UIUC allow people to change to in-state rates after the first year, or is the rate determined at admission?

Lol, wow. I think your GF might want to reconsider whether her level of thinking is up to par with what is required for law school. In-state tuition implies just that: residents pay that rate.  There wouldn't be a noted difference if residency made no difference...

OldFart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »

Do students at UIUC who get scholarships also get in-state tuition rates?  Or is a scholarship a way of attracting students who would otherwise have to pay out-of-state tuition?

Also, does UIUC allow people to change to in-state rates after the first year, or is the rate determined at admission?

Lol, wow. I think your GF might want to reconsider whether her level of thinking is up to par with what is required for law school. In-state tuition implies just that: residents pay that rate.  There wouldn't be a noted difference if residency made no difference...
XGF, not GF.  And many schools offer in-state after the first year;  you just have to become a resident.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 10:29:42 PM »

You are a better Ex than I have ever had. and I will ever be.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 01:47:18 AM »
***Residency is determined by the Office of Admissions and Records (OAR). An applicant is considered an Illinois resident if he/she has lived in Illinois for 12 months prior to matriculation in a program or if one of his/her parents reside in Illinois. Admitted students may petition for residency in the State of Illinois; residency is determined by the University's Office of Admissions and Records.

http://www.law.uiuc.edu/prospective/costs.asp

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »
"The University of Illinois requires that you be a bona fide resident of Illinois for one calendar year prior to the term for which you are applying for resident status. The University's requirements to establish residency may be different than other Illinois institutions of higher education or government agencies. Bona fide residency involves being gainfully employed and actually living in the state for one year, and taking other specific actions which link you to the state of Illinois. It also requires that you reside in Illinois primarily for reasons that are not related to receiving an education. Itís important that actions be completed before the beginning of the term in which you are attempting to establish residency."

and

"3. What is meant by gainful employment?

Gainful employment means that you earn income and file and pay taxes in Illinois on income sufficient to meet one-half of tuition, fees and normal living expenses for a one-year period. Loans from parents or support from a relative in Illinois does not constitute self-sufficiency or gainful employment, for example.

Employment during the summer terms alone does not fulfill either gainful employment or the one-year requirement."

-From the residency FAQ I linked to above...

OldFart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Thanks, folks.  I sent her the thread URL.

BTW, not sure how that off-topic post got inserted at the very top of the thread that I started.  Weird stuff.